Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic - O2 Sensor problem

Old 06-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
koolaide is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic - O2 Sensor problem

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my '98 Civic that I'm hoping can be resolved. About a week ago, a CEL came on. I took the car to O'Reilly and they gave me the error code - it was a bad O2 sensor. Not a problem, bought a replacement and installed it. CEL turned off, but the engine would die when the car tried to go past 1st gear. Went and exchanged the O2 sensor and got the same problem. I gave up earlier and put back the stock one, and the CEL came back on but the car shifts into 2nd, 3rd gear just fine.

Does anyone know what could cause such an issue?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infinitrium is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 98 Civic - O2 Sensor problem

I've been having a very similar problem with my 98. Got an O2 sensor code, ordered an aftermarket one from eBay and installed it. The car with the eBay O2 sensor works fine around town but on the highway it dies almost every time I get up to cruising speed. A few times it's even done something like your car, where it wouldn't even go 20 mph before it died. I took the eBay sensor out, put the old sensor back in and the car runs just fine but I still get the CEL and code P0135. I think what I will try next is to order a genuine Denso O2 sensor from eBay and see if the car behaves any better. Maybe that's something you could try too, apparently our cars are finicky with their O2 sensors or something.