Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

performance problem after replacing distributor

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snafu is an unknown quantity at this point
performance problem after replacing distributor

Let me preface this post by noting that I don't know very much about cars so please use small words

My wifes 98 civic died last weekend and wouldn't start. We took it to the mechanic who verified that it was a bad distributor and replaced it. When I picked the car up to drive it home I noted that the acceleration was very 'mushy' especially at low speed (basically you could put the accelerator to the floor and it wouldn't do much of anything for 3-5 secs). Once it gets up to cruising speed it seems more 'normal' but still lacks that punch when you put your foot down. We've been driving it since midweek and oddly it seems to have semi fixed itself (its still sluggish, esp at lowspeed) but its much better than it was at first....curious no? So my question is, what could be going on here? And secondly, what kinds of things 'should' the mechanic have done after replacing the.distributor? Is there anything that must b tuned or calibrated after replacing a distributor? I want to be armed with some good knowledge before I speak to him again.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: performance problem after replacing distributor

he shouldve adjusted the ignition timing otherwise it would run as you described, like crap.
Old 06-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snafu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
he shouldve adjusted the ignition timing otherwise it would run as you described, like crap.
That was my guess,thanks for the confirmation gearbox. Im at a loss to explain how/why it seemed to improve with driving though ... still not 100% but definitely better
Old 06-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

possibly the ecu trying to compensate by adjusting other things. not the right way to do it and it will never be perfect. it can even cause other problems eventually.