Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P1259 trouble code on 2000 Honda Civic Ex?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WKD DRGN is an unknown quantity at this point
P1259 trouble code on 2000 Honda Civic Ex?

Hey all, so I just replaced the thermostat, engine coolant temperature switch, and upper radiator hose on my 2000 civic and before we did that my dad unplugged some of the coolant sensors and switches with the ignition ON. After we replaced everything the engine check light came on with the P1259 code.

According to autozone's printout it could be

1. Open or short circuit condition
2. VTEC solenoid valve fault
3. VTEC pressure switch fault
4. Blocked oil passage

I'm more of an auto body person so the above might as well be a foreign language...any suggestions of what this could mean?? Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P1259 trouble code on 2000 Honda Civic Ex?

just as it says, theres a problem with vtec solenoid or its oil pressure sensor. could also just be a clogged screen filter of the solenoid, or you may be low on oil. vtec solenoid is usually bolted to the back of the engine and has a cylinder type piece on top of it.
Old 04-05-2011
Registered!!

Okay I just looked in my Honda shop manual and found the flow chart to test the VTEC solenoid and all. I cleared the code for now but if it comes back (which is most likely will) me and my dad will be getting to that next. Now I just recently also had a mechanic do a timing belt service on my car...any error on his part wouldn't cause this problem right?
Old 04-05-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no, the vtec solenoid is on the opposite side and no way anything he did would cause issues with vtec. unless you had an oil change that was very sloppy and they poured dirty oil in or something that could clog the screen filter.
Old 04-05-2011
Registered!!

I went and checked out where the VTEC solenoid is and it turns out that one plug on the assembly was the first one my dad pulled this morning with the ignition on so I think that's what threw the code. I think this was just a false alarm. But thanks for all the added info. It helped a lot!
Old 04-05-2011
Premium Member

ah okay, prolly the oil pressure switch. at least it was an easy fix