Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Black Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broeheem is an unknown quantity at this point
Black Hood?

OK, I guess I don't get it. I'm shopping for an EG hatch - preferably an Si or swap - nothing too extreme, and there's something I find baffling. What's up with the "black hood" thing? If it's a carbon-fibre hood, why not colour-match? If it's NOT a CF hood, but merely rattle-canned flat black - why? I get the CF thing (light weight and all) but IMO the flat black thing looks kind of "11th-grader". I don't mean to insult anyone, but since I've been looking, I find that nearly ALL Gen5 Hatches either have black hoods, F-me Red paint jobs... or BOTH. Defeating, really.
Old 10-24-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Black Hood?

For carbon fiber, some people (myself included) like the contrast the carbon fiber weave gives you. Rattle canned, however, is ghetto as hell.
Old 10-24-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

They wanna look cool...

But they should have at least used the $50 paint job method with rustoleum

Some people dont actually like the attention and looks from real carbon fiber hoods, so they paint it to match their car, but still get the benefits of CF hood
Old 10-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

One of the main reasons for a black hood on a light car is to reduce sun glare off of the hood. It will reduce eye strain and fatigue. Even school buses have them.
Old 10-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
One of the main reasons for a black hood on a light car is to reduce sun glare off of the hood. It will reduce eye strain and fatigue. Even school buses have them.
That's the best explination yet.
Old 10-25-2010
Registered!!

Broeheem is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, the "glare" thing makes sense... kind of - but if that's the case, why don't you see this on most any other cars? I suppose I'm going to have to overlook the hood while I continue my quest. Hopefully the hatch I end up with will have an actual CF hood - so I can sell it, buy a wrecking-yard hood of the appropriate colour, and even make a quid or two on the deal. There's never enough money for necessary additional mods, hmm?