View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: WTF is this engine?

Originally Posted by ezone
Japan
Any idea what kind of car it's for?
Old 08-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTF is this engine?

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Any idea what kind of car it's for?
A Japanese car? Some other country?

You would really need to get the actual code stamped on that particular block, so we all might get to find out what it is.
All you have is a blurry ebay picture and a seller writing up whatever he wants you to read.

FWIW it doesn't really even have to be for a car at all. Could be an industrial engine for all we know.
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Can these gauges work?

Would a dealer here be able to program the mileage into the cluster?
Old 08-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

It’s metric soooooo does it really matter how many kilometers it says...
Old 08-13-2018
Registered!!

Yes. It should say about 380,000 kilometers.
Old 08-13-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,303 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

If you have a circuit diagram, 12V power supply, and a micro-controller you can give the cluster a fake speed signal pulse and run the miles/km up yourself. That is as long as that cluster works in a similar way to a stock one and it currently reads less than 380,000 km.
Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

Can a misfire cause engine damage?

Just wondering what the long term effects of driving with a dead cylinder are. The cheap redneck that I bought my Dodge Stratus from unplugged the fuel injector and ran that car on 3 cylinders with a bad coil for 2 years. He knew that the coil was bad, he was admittedly too cheap to buy one. That car ran fine once I replaced the coil. But my question is does driving with a dead cylinder cause damage if you unplug the fuel injector, or does the engine just run like crap?
Old 08-26-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can a misfire cause engine damage?

How would a dead cylinder cause the catalytic converter to be seriously damaged?
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

How would a dead cylinder cause the catalytic converter to be seriously damaged?
It won't if you disable the fuel injector for that cylinder like I specified.
Old 08-26-2018

It won't if you disable the fuel injector for that cylinder like I specified.

That car ran fine once I replaced the coil.
This answers your own question?
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

This answers your own question?
But that doesn't mean that it's not harmful to the engine to run on less cylinders. For all I know I may have just got lucky that no damage was done.
Old 08-26-2018

It will make all your babies be born naked.

[shudder]
Old 08-26-2018

If it runs fine now, it runs fine now. Drive it.

If it didn't run fine, that would be a problem. Figger it out and fix it.
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

If it runs fine now, it runs fine now. Drive it.

If it didn't run fine, that would be a problem. Figger it out and fix it.
It doesn't run anymore, but for other reasons.
Old 08-26-2018

It doesn't run anymore, but for other reasons.
So it did not die because of the coil issue or injector issue?

FYI, FWIW, most (or maybe all) auto manufacturers' current failure strategy for engine single cylinder misfire is to turn off the fuel injector on the offending cylinder so as to not ruin the cat.
You tell me if you think a manufacturer would do that if it hurt the engine....

Honda can even shut off an entire bank on V engines for some fault issues.

Honda has several engine designs that turn off or disable cylinders for various economy reasons as part of normal driving routines.
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

FYI, FWIW, most (or maybe all) auto manufacturers' current failure strategy for engine single cylinder misfire is to turn off the fuel injector on the offending cylinder so as to not ruin the cat.
You tell me if you think a manufacturer would do that if it hurt the engine....
I think they would shut off fuel to the misfiring cylinder if the misfire would damage the engine over time. Better to have just the engine damaged over time than the engine damaged more by fuel in the oil and a melted cat and possibly a fire, right?
Old 08-26-2018

I think they would shut off fuel to the misfiring cylinder if the misfire would damage the engine over time. Better to have just the engine damaged over time than the engine damaged more by fuel in the oil and a melted cat and possibly a fire, right?
The intent of the fuel injector shutoff strategy is to prevent damage to the cat.
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

The intent of the fuel injector shutoff strategy is to prevent damage to the cat.
And the entire car and it's occupants if there's a fire from the cat melting.
Old 08-26-2018

One of my old cars lost a coil pack (2 dead cylinders out of 4, 1990 GM Quad 4 engine).
I followed the car as my kid limped it out to the shop at night.....The cat was screaming nuclear bright yellow under the car lighting up the road.
I really hoped it would light the carpet on fire and burn to the effin ground so I wouldn't have to fix it.
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

One of my old cars lost a coil pack (2 dead cylinders out of 4, 1990 GM Quad 4 engine).
I followed the car as my kid limped it out to the shop at night.....The cat was screaming nuclear bright yellow under the car lighting up the road.
I really hoped it would light the carpet on fire and burn to the effin ground so I wouldn't have to fix it.
LOL. Couldn't you unplug the injectors for those cylinders?
Old 08-26-2018

LOL. Couldn't you unplug the injectors for those cylinders?
The idiot snowflake teenager (20something) with entitlement issues who already knows everything (far more than I) should have unplugged the injectors.

Maybe if I had diagnosed it from the other side of town in the dark over the phone.
All I knew was the kid said the car would barely run and he left it where it was. I drove him to the car then followed it to the shop.

Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

The idiot snowflake teenager (20something) with entitlement issues who already knows everything (far more than I) should have unplugged the injectors.

Maybe if I had diagnosed it from the other side of town in the dark over the phone.
All I knew was the kid said the car would barely run and he left it where it was. I drove him to the car then followed it to the shop.
Got it.
Old 08-26-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

go take your medicine
Old 08-29-2018
Registered!!

What causes bent valve stems?

My neighbor has a 1992 Civic with a D16Z6 engine with 380,000 miles that blew the head gasket. He pulled the head to change the gasket, and he offered to pay me to go through the head to ensure that it wasn't warped, and also to do a valve job, change the valve seals, and clean everything since admittedly every time he tried to do internal engine work, it ended in a disaster. So I rebuilt the head for him, but as I was regrinding the valves, I noticed that 3 of the valves had bent stems. The stems were bent enough that I had trouble pulling the valves through the guides, and there is a shiny spot on 2 of the valves where they were rubbing on the guides, so I replaced the damaged valves with spares I had. He has owned this car since it was new, and it has never broke a timing belt or been abused. Anyways, when he drove it for the first time since this work was performed, he called me to tell me that the car hasn't run that good in many years, and he was really happy with the work I did. Apparently engines run better when valves aren't bent. So what could cause the stems of the valves to bend? Neither one of us can figure that out. Any ideas?
Old 08-29-2018

Re: What causes bent valve stems?

What causes bent valve stems?
Your neighbor.
since admittedly every time he tried to do internal engine work, it ended in a disaster.
Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

The E85 experiment

So I got bored, and if you don't already know, me being board can be a very dangerous thing. But nonetheless, I became curious what would happen if I add E85 to the gas tank. I added around 2.5 gallons of E85 to my car's 13 gallon tank, which was nearly full. And not much happened. I initially didn't notice anything, but after a few minutes, the fuel trim became a bit less negative. It was about -20 to -25 before, but now it's about -15 to -20, which makes sense because ethanol has a lower energy density. I imagine the fuel trim would go slightly positive if it was close to 0. As far as power, I honestly don't know if there is any change since I was stuck in traffic on the way home, so I couldn't floor it. There may be a slight improvement in low end torque, but I can't say for sure yet. I'll update you after I drive more and when I try to use a higher concentration of ethanol.

And yes, I know that this isn't a good idea and that the fuel system isn't designed for E85, so no need to tell me.
Old 09-02-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: The E85 experiment

So I got bored, and if you don't already know, me being board can be a very dangerous thing. But nonetheless, I became curious what would happen if I add E85 to the gas tank. I added around 2.5 gallons of E85 to my car's 13 gallon tank, which was nearly full. And not much happened. I initially didn't notice anything, but after a few minutes, the fuel trim became a bit less negative. It was about -20 to -25 before, but now it's about -15 to -20, which makes sense because ethanol has a lower energy density. I imagine the fuel trim would go slightly positive if it was close to 0. As far as power, I honestly don't know if there is any change since I was stuck in traffic on the way home, so I couldn't floor it. There may be a slight improvement in low end torque, but I can't say for sure yet. I'll update you after I drive more and when I try to use a higher concentration of ethanol.

And yes, I know that this isn't a good idea and that the fuel system isn't designed for E85, so no need to tell me.
Your poor car hates you and your neighbors.

Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

Re: The E85 experiment

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Your poor car hates you and your neighbors.
It doesn't seem to mind the E85. If anything it may be a little more responsive. I'll let you know if anything explodes though.
Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

WTF is P1713?

Ever since I installed a JDM PCM and harness in my 2005 Civic from a 2005 Stream, I get P1713 when I put the shifter in 2. Could someone please tell me what P1713 means? I can't find anything. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2018

Re: WTF is P1713?

These come to mind, take your pick:
Not a code written for N.A. market cars
Code written only for use in other markets
Code reader is lying to you
I will automatically assume the JDM PCM and harness does not match the trans you have in your car and is yet another reason you should have just gotten the correct parts for your car the first time.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave