I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

HELP! '05 Civic Sedan Power Window Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian Bills is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP! '05 Civic Sedan Power Window Electrical Issue

Alright guys need some help here. Spent a couple days trying to solve this and need a few pointers to take me over the finish line. I've thoroughly searched the site for similar issues but haven't had much luck.

Symptom:
Driver side rear window suddenly would only go down but not up. Master left rear switch completely INOP.

What I've done so far:
1) Regulator good (hooked it up to passenger side rear and functions perfectly in both directions)
2) Rear switch good (swapped both the rears)
3) All fuses good
4) The three wires running from the master 20P connector to the left rear window switch have continuity
5) I have 12v at the left rear window switch on the two wires going to the regulator when commanding down but 0v when commanding up
6) Performed the master switch test in the manual and all seems normal

BTW the window moves freely so this seems to be strictly an electrical issue.

My gut tells me that I need a new master switch assembly. But it passes all the continuity checks in the manual?
Old 12-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HELP! '05 Civic Sedan Power Window Electrical Issue

Remove/disconnect rear window switch, test 2 wires for continuity to ground (master switch in rest position): brown/white, and brown.

If either wire is not grounded , then recheck same wires at the master switch to see if the switch is bad or if there's a break in a wire
Old 12-21-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Remove/disconnect rear window switch, test 2 wires for continuity to ground (master switch in rest position): brown/white, and brown.

If either wire is not grounded , then recheck same wires at the master switch to see if the switch is bad or if there's a break in a wire
OK, tell me if I did what you intended.

I removed the rear switch and checked for continuity between the brown/white and yellow/red(Ground?) right where the switch would plug in. As well as between the brown and yellow/red. No continuity.

Then with the master switch also plugged in I checked for continuity between the brown/white and black as well as brown and black at the 20P connector. I did have continuity.

These results are the same with the ignition on or off? Is the yellow/red wire in the back not really ground?

Appreciate the help!
Old 12-21-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Here is a schematic:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...7&d=1350598426
Old 12-21-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

yellow/red(Ground?)
The schematic would tell you this is not a ground. You can't check continuity using that wire, BUT if you know what that wire is you can adjust testing to find what we need to know.

Connect one meter lead to a chassis or battery ground for testing a wire for continuity to ground.
Old 12-21-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The schematic would tell you this is not a ground. You can't check continuity using that wire, BUT if you know what that wire is you can adjust testing to find what we need to know.

Connect one meter lead to a chassis or battery ground for testing a wire for continuity to ground.
OK, thanks guys. Got the schematic and ran the test properly. Here are the results with the rear switch removed:

-I have no continuity with chassis ground and the brown wire at the rear switch.
-I do have continuity in the following places: brown/white at rear switch, brown at master 20P, brown/white at master 20P.

Am I to assume this means there's a break in the brown wire somewhere between the rear switch and the 20P connector going into the master switch panel?

Last edited by Brian Bills; 12-22-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2016

Sounds like brown wire is open circuit then?
Peel open the rubber harness cover in the rear door jamb and tug on the individual wires there. You'll probably find the break there.
Old 12-24-2016
Registered!!

Problem solved!

It was in fact the brown wire in the rear door jam. Quite a doozy to fix but I'm up and running again. I also found two other wires about to cut through so I fixed those too.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 12-24-2016

I should have mentioned, the replacement door harness is damn cheap for what it is (45 US coconuts retail), I will never bother to repair another one because my time to repair the wires cost more than just stuffing another harness in it.