I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Installing a keyless receiver on a 2002 LX

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
willysp has a spectacular aura aboutwillysp has a spectacular aura about
Installing a keyless receiver on a 2002 LX

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2002 LX and I am doing few things to the car (timing belt, bushings, struts) and I also want to get keyless entry. It seems that this model/ year came with keyless entry as an option and this car does not have it. I found online that one can get the receiver (or transponder, I don't know the proper name) from a junkyard but I am not sure what model would have it. There is a 2005 LX at a junkyard near home and I was wondering if it has the same receiver.
Bottom line, I want to know what cars came with the transponder, where it is and if that is the only part I need to get, besides the FOB. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Old 03-07-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Installing a keyless receiver on a 2002 LX

The 05 might have it if it was ordered with it (don't think it was standard). If you can find an Ex it should have one.

You can always go aftermarket also. I put one in my 01 Lx and used the harness where the oem unit would go to connect to the aftermarket one.
Old 03-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The 02 LX would have needed a harness to go along with the keyless receiver as part of the accessory installation kit.

The 05 LX should have keyless installed from the factory.
If you are handy with wiring you could snag the keyless receiver and a good chunk of its wiring from the 05 and splice it into the 02.
I think (did not check wiring diagrams) it's only got 4 wires: a ground, a hot, a keyed hot, and a communication line to the MICU.
Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply! do you know if the receiver in the 2005 is in the same location than for the 2002? is that under the radio, behind the lighter?
I will try to go to the junkyard this weekend. I will keep you updated. I'll take pics

Old 03-07-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the receiver in the 2005 is in the same location than for the 2002? is that under the radio, behind the lighter?
Yes.
I will try to go to the junkyard this weekend.
See if you can get the fobs from that car too.

I'll look up some wires in a minute
Old 03-07-2016

Keyless receiver --4 wires in a 5 hole connector, green

1 black- ground

2 blue/orange- communication to MICU (in the 02, it connects to the single wire in the 2 terminal connector right next to where the receiver mounts)

3 yellow -keyed power- hot in run and cranking

4 open

5 white/red -hot at all times

------------------------

Accessory install instructions PDF link: https://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/civickeyless01.pdf

Step 6 should have a drawing of the 2 pin connector for the blue/orange mentioned above for the communication line connection.

You won't have the rest of the accessory harness so the rest of the instructions won't mean much to you.
The powers should be easy to find in the fusebox, and for ground you can use just about any part of the dash frame.
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

So I got the Keyless unit from the 05 civic. I also took the green connector that was plugged into the receiver. Do I need to connect that green connector wires to the 10-pin connector from the fuse box? If so, which wires I am supposed to connect?
I attached a pic of the part, hopefully it worked.

Thank you,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8015.JPG
Views:	993
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	88583  
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

1 black- ground
2 blue/orange- communication to MICU (in the 02, it connects to the single wire in the 2 terminal connector right next to where the receiver mounts)
3 yellow -keyed power- hot in run and cranking
4 open
5 white/red -hot at all times
Step 6 should have a drawing of the 2 pin connector for the blue/orange mentioned above for the communication line connection.
The powers should be easy to find in the fusebox, and for ground you can use just about any part of the dash frame.

Ok, so now that I can see what you have wrote I can expand a little bit.
1: got it, I can ground it anywhere....
2: is the 2 terminal connector the one that the instructions you posted have a blue tape on it?
3: I am not sure how to find the correct wire, could you give me more info?
5: Do I get this from any wire that is hot all time?

Thanks again for your help!

P.S.: working on the Timing Belt now; as soon as I am done with that I will start working on this (I should replace the LCA bushings first, but who can live without keyless entry? haha).
Old 03-15-2016

the 10-pin connector from the fuse box?
What is this for, and is there an empty location in your cars fusebox for this plug?
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

The accessory kit installation instruction says that you disconnect a 10 pin connector and connect the one from the wiring harness, that is why I though that the connection I will be making is to that same 10 pin connector. Does it make any sense what I am saying?

Old 03-15-2016

Does it make any sense what I am saying?
Ok......You don't have any of the accessory installation kit that would have been needed for installation in your car,

and the car you pulled your parts from had its keyless installed from the factory so it had none of the parts (harness) that would have come with a kit.

You don't need the 10 pin harness you chopped off.
You only need to find the 2 correct power sources in the fusebox.

You could use the wiring in the original 10 pin connector in your fusebox now, you only need to tap (scotch-locks) into 2 of the wires to get your 2 power sources.
Green/black would be the keyed power
White/green would be the constant 12v power

Or
you could tap into the fuses themselves if you want.
Got fuse taps? These might be simpler

fuse 20 for keyed power
2, 3, 7, 15, or 16 for constant power. Pick one.

Did you get the remote fobs that went with the car you robbed the control unit from?
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

Nope, I could not find the fobs... Thank you very much for your help, ezone! when I am done with the mess I am doing with the TB I will start working on this

Old 03-15-2016

If you have to order fobs you'll need to order them for the 05
Old 03-24-2016
Registered!!

ok, so I got the fuse taps and the fob. I want to be sure that I am connecting everything in the right place. ezone, when you said, 2"blue/orange- communication to MICU (in the 02, it connects to the single wire in the 2 terminal connector right next to where the receiver mounts)" what do yo mean with the single wire in a 2 terminal connector? I've notice that there is a two terminal connector with a bluish tape on it right where the receiver mounts. Is that the one you are referring to? Does that 2 terminal connector have only one wire? I will take a look tomorrow and take some pics so I am sure we are on the same page.

Thanks,

Old 03-24-2016
Registered!!

So I couldn't wait until tomorrow... You were right, the double connector has only one wire that is blue-orange. so I will need to connect the blue-orange from the receiver to the blue-orange from the double connector. I hope I am right.

Thank you,

Name:	IMG_8095.JPG
Views:	1388
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	88639  
Old 03-24-2016

Originally Posted by willysp
ok, so I got the fuse taps and the fob. I want to be sure that I am connecting everything in the right place. ezone, when you said, 2"blue/orange- communication to MICU (in the 02, it connects to the single wire in the 2 terminal connector right next to where the receiver mounts)" what do yo mean with the single wire in a 2 terminal connector? I've notice that there is a two terminal connector with a bluish tape on it right where the receiver mounts. Is that the one you are referring to? Does that 2 terminal connector have only one wire? I will take a look tomorrow and take some pics so I am sure we are on the same page.

Thanks,

That sounds like you found it...Refer to this to be certain:
Originally Posted by ezone
------------------------

Accessory install instructions PDF link: https://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/civickeyless01.pdf

Old 03-26-2016
Registered!!

IT WORKED!!!!
I did not route the wires properly and I used pigtails. Tomorrow I will reroute the wires and solder the wires. I will post pictures. It is super simple and there is no need of pics but someone could use them in the future. I spent 10 dollars on the receiver and 15 dollars for the fob so it was only 25 dollar to get keyless entry...
Thanks ezone!
Old 03-26-2016

Old 03-28-2016
Registered!!

Bjandthekatz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willysp
IT WORKED!!!!
I did not route the wires properly and I used pigtails. Tomorrow I will reroute the wires and solder the wires. I will post pictures. It is super simple and there is no need of pics but someone could use them in the future. I spent 10 dollars on the receiver and 15 dollars for the fob so it was only 25 dollar to get keyless entry...
Thanks ezone!
Could you post a few pictures? I am going to a junkyard to rip off a keyless entry unit from a 2005 ex also. Will be installing it in my 2002 lx. Comes with 2 key fobs.
Old 04-04-2016
Registered!!

Even though I said that I would post pics, I completely forgot to take pics... The truth is that it is a straight forward connection and with ezone explanation you will be good. Let us know how it goes.

Name:	IMG_8108.JPG
Views:	3590
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	88677  
Old 10-28-2017
Registered!!

FordBoy33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just followed these instructions to install a receiver in my son's 2002 LX. Got the receiver on eBay for $35 and 2 new knockoff remotes on eBay for about $17. Thanks ezone. Here's a pic.
Old 10-28-2017

Old 12-04-2017
Registered!!

Adam Underwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive hooked mine up the same way and am not getting any reaction when i try programming the fob