I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Radio switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
Radio switch

First post here

I've had my 2005 Civic LX-G for a few days now. I love it, but there's only one thing missing and that's auxiliary input for the radio. In the owners manual, I see that the special edition Civic's of the same year come with a larger and nicer radio, with auxiliary. My question is, would getting this radio from somewhere and replacing my current one work? I'm just assuming that it'd be a real simple switch, since Honda probably designed everything the same for both models, except the radio itself. Otherwise, is there an easier way to get me some auxiliary? I've been using a cheap FM transmitter since my last car and I can't take it anymore... it's horrible. If all of this isn't possible... I guess I'd have to fork out some cash for a new radio with auxiliary.
Old 08-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Radio switch

the connector for both units is the same. you can use the old dash console or buy the new one that comes on the SE. only difference is its molded for a double din hole and looks nicer.or you can use the old one if you dont care about looks. also what type of aux device are you using? a step up from FM mod is an aux rca input adapter, which plugs into the factory cd changer port of the deck you have now. the best step up is a digital converter that plugs from the cd changer to an ipod docking port (ipod required). if you dont have an ipod and want a bit better quality than FM mod, look into the rca conversion. or just go with the SE deck.

on a side note, i installed an FM modulated alpine MP3 changer in our old accord and the sound quality is very good. in the civic i just swapped out the factory deck with a nice alpine mp3/cd player. aftermarket decks give you so many more options like playing mp3 cd, front aux and even usb ports, ipod connections, etc. plus they are much more powerful than the factory unit and have more features.
Old 08-22-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the informative post, really helpful . If I can't get a good quality SE radio from a junkyard, I think I'll go with something after market

Cheers

Edit: On second though... looking into the rca adapter. Seems simple and 100x cheaper

Last edited by Brian1037; 08-22-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the rca input converters are maybe $25 and work pretty well if you like the factory look of the stereo.
Old 08-22-2010
Sedans > Coupes

For the life of me, I can't find a rca converter anywhere
Old 08-22-2010
Premium Member

this works for any 01-05 civic (non SE) with any oem stereo/tape/cd player. lil bit more expensive than i thought

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469HO98...672&tab=review
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

Jadesm83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
the connector for both units is the same. You can use the old dash console or buy the new one that comes on the se. Only difference is its molded for a double din hole and looks nicer.or you can use the old one if you dont care about looks. Also what type of aux device are you using? A step up from fm mod is an aux rca input adapter, which plugs into the factory cd changer port of the deck you have now. The best step up is a digital converter that plugs from the cd changer to an ipod docking port (ipod required). If you dont have an ipod and want a bit better quality than fm mod, look into the rca conversion. Or just go with the se deck.

On a side note, i installed an fm modulated alpine mp3 changer in our old accord and the sound quality is very good. In the civic i just swapped out the factory deck with a nice alpine mp3/cd player. Aftermarket decks give you so many more options like playing mp3 cd, front aux and even usb ports, ipod connections, etc. Plus they are much more powerful than the factory unit and have more features.
could i install that special edition oem deck in my 01 civic dx???
Old 09-29-2010
Premium Member

yes.
Old 09-29-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i'd go aftermarket, for the deck. the first mod i ever made was to huck that piece of sh** stock deck (well i still have it in storage but you get it). i bought a sony deck, was cheaper then alpine, looked nicer imo, matched my interior plus the led display matchs my guage cluster led's, and only swaping the deck unit without any new wiring or speakers the sound quality is FAR superior to the stock cd player. plus now i can play wmp. mp3. and ipod files with the usb port. i think with the new deck, new wiring harns, new plastic shelf to house the deck and instalation it all come to $350 canadian. but that was before i was on this forum now i'd find a diy for the deck instalation. if you do it'd be cheaper.
Old 09-29-2010
Premium Member

i ended up putting my alpine back in recently. i couldnt stand the uglyness and crap sound quality of the stock deck even if it had an ipod connected. not worth it.
Old 09-29-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

to gearbox, i know right! you'd think sine the civics don't have nice sounding engines they'd put a decent deck in to keep your ears happy, lol.