I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

How many watts should my in-dash stereo have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obamargarine is an unknown quantity at this point
How many watts should my in-dash stereo have?

I'm getting a new in-dash unit so I can plug my ipod into it.
My car already had a infinity sound system installed when I bought it, I was wondering if I add 2 subs to it, will I need a more powerful in-dash unit or can I add an amp and then it doesn't matter how powerful the indash is?

The ones I'm looking at are 200 and 320 watts. Is that enough for a sound system without subs?

thanks
Old 11-26-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How many watts should my in-dash stereo have?

you must have a dedicated amp if you add subs. no stereo in the world will supply the needed power. most are only 18-22w per channel and barely enough to drive regular speakers.
Old 11-27-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

you can adjust the output of your subs to be level with the sound from your regular speakers. all amps have a gain on them.
Old 12-01-2009
Registered!!

SPUNKYcivy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

buy an amp. Without one, your speakers will distort when you turn them up. Adding an amp gives you much more clarity.
subs will require a different amp altogether
Old 12-14-2009
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

yeah just pick up a Mono block or a 2 channel amp with say 300 - 600 watts of RMS power and your set. Alpine made a 50W RMS x 4 head unit back in 2004 but it required you to still run a 4awg wire to the battery.. waste of time.
Old 01-14-2014
02 CIVIC EX

mmmBacon is an unknown quantity at this point

How many watts are in a stock setup? Mine is stock and sounds terrible. I am looking to replace it very soon.
Old 01-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mmmBacon
How many watts are in a stock setup? Mine is stock and sounds terrible. I am looking to replace it very soon.
prob 10-15 watts RMS, most aftermarket radio's will give you 20-25watts RMS. but more importantly you will have a more adjustable EQ curve so you can "tune" your sound
Old 01-15-2014
02 CIVIC EX

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
prob 10-15 watts RMS, most aftermarket radio's will give you 20-25watts RMS. but more importantly you will have a more adjustable EQ curve so you can "tune" your sound
Thanks for the reply.

I am looking at an inexpensive bluetooth solution at bestbuy here

... and one at frys here
Old 01-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mmmBacon
Thanks for the reply.

I am looking at an inexpensive bluetooth solution at bestbuy here

... and one at frys here

pioneer is usually pretty good. although i now have a DEH-X8500BH and it seems to skip a lot with the bluetooth. But I have an old iphone 4 so I think that's to blame. Whenever the phone makes noise (i.e. text message, lock button noise, etc) the BT drops for a few seconds. Other then that it's a great radio.

I would also be cautious of the cheaper flip-out dash units. I used to work in a car audio a best buy many years ago and the cheaper ones always seemed to break after 2-3 years. Only ones that seemed to last were the nicer pioneer or alpine units.
Old 01-15-2014
02 CIVIC EX

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
pioneer is usually pretty good. although i now have a DEH-X8500BH and it seems to skip a lot with the bluetooth. But I have an old iphone 4 so I think that's to blame. Whenever the phone makes noise (i.e. text message, lock button noise, etc) the BT drops for a few seconds. Other then that it's a great radio.

I would also be cautious of the cheaper flip-out dash units. I used to work in a car audio a best buy many years ago and the cheaper ones always seemed to break after 2-3 years. Only ones that seemed to last were the nicer pioneer or alpine units.
Many thanks for the advice, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Pioneer DEH-X3500UI for $59.99... reason being that I had a bunch of gift cards from Christmas and this seemed like a decent deck. Originally $99.99, after a price drop of 40 bucks, I got out the door for 13 dollars and some change. No Bluetooth, but the AUX and USB port should suffice for now until I can afford a nice flipscreen. I think for the money it is a good starting point, next up: some speakers and amp!