I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Powa Distribution Block

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misbah will become famous soon enough
Powa Distribution Block

I have a question. I am meticulously installing an amp right now, just a single one, but I plan to add a second one later. I have 2 questions:

1st - is there any difference/drop in sound quality if I use the pass through outputs to run the signal from one amp to another as opposed to running the patch cable straight from the head unit to the amp? this would be for a subwoofer only (ie: going from hu to 4 channel amp to sub amp)

2nd - where is a good place to put the power distribution block? for sake of ease of installation, I just wanted to run the power cable all the way to the trunk, then put the inline fuse and the distribution blok there so I can easily run power cable to the second amp when I get it. Mr. Installer was making it sound really difficult, saying its better to split the power closer to the source of the battery, which means running two seperate power cables most of the way.. which is ok.. I guess I'll just have a loose live power cable until I install the second amp. But then where do i put the distribution block if he wants it closer to the battery? under the damn hood? in the car somewhere? I think he was just trying to make the task more daunting so I wouldnt do it myself and pay him a butt load of cash instead.
Old 03-03-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Re: Powa Distribution Block

1) Not sure what your asking in the first question. Are you trying to hook up 2 amps to the HU by remote wire?? One 4 channel, and One mono block?? If so, yes you only need one remote wire from the HU, to amp number one. Then you can hook up a wire from amp one, and connect it directly to amp number 2. I have my system setup up this way.

2) You should put the inline fuse as close to the battery as possibly. I would put the distribution block closer to where the amps are place. There's really no need to run 2 power cables from the hood of your car, to the trunk of your car. IMO that's just a waste of money.

Last edited by phuviano; 03-03-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misbah will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the help. I should clarify on question one, sorry, I don't really know the proper terminology for all these cables and wires. On the back of my HU, I have a front l/r preamp output, a rear l/r preamp output, and a mono sub preamp output. The front and rear preamp outputs are both going into my infinity reference 475a 4 channel amp, specifically into the fr/fl and rr/rl inputs. I plan to get a mono block amp later on along with a subwoofer . instead of having to run an additional cable from the sub preamp output to the monoblock input later on, is it ok for me to use the l/r channel outputs (which i believe are pre-amp level pass throughs?) on my reference amp and put those into the preamp inputs on the mono block amp I intend to buy? Im sure its ok, but will the sound quality be the same/as good as running a seperate cable from the head unit straight to the mono block amp? Will i still have proper subwoofer control via my headunit if i do this? Sorry if im sounding confusing.

As for question two, thanks for the answer, I can mount the inline fuse inside the hood, but it also seemed easier to me to just run ONE power cable to the trunk and split it back there.. installer man was just trying to con me like I figured.
Old 03-04-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

1. no problem
2. main fuse under hood, power block in truck, then fuse each amp seperately