I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Alpine Type R Sub...to port or not to port...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
msi1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alpine Type R Sub...to port or not to port...

my new alpine type r 12" sub comes in today... my old box has at least 8 holes in it where the amp was mounted..brackets were mounted, etc... I am thinking with that many holes it is not an optimal sealed enclosure..plus it was very cheap...

so, I am thinking of getting a new sub box... should I go with ported or non ported..and whats the best size, tuning for an Alpine Type R (SWR-1222d)?

I have heard good things about ported enclosures with these subs...but I have never owned a ported enclosure myself...so I dont know what to expect
Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

hdave is an unknown quantity at this point
definately port, try 2 - 2.3 cubes net with 35 square inches of port area, itll get damn loud
id say tune between 31 - 35hz
Old 03-30-2006
Registered!!

Cram is an unknown quantity at this point
Depends on the sound you want. Ported will be louder. Sealed will be more responsive. So,

Rap, heavy metal = ported

other = sealed

Also, it depends on what you really want for your bass. some want it to shake their teeth, others want good, clean bass that isn't overbearing.
Old 03-30-2006
Registered!!

hdave is an unknown quantity at this point
you can get excellent sound quality from a properly designed ported box too, just gotta make sure the design is done right
Old 03-30-2006
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man!

EXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura aboutEXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura aboutEXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura about
IMO, ported gives you much better quality bass. I used to have two twelve's in a ported box and my bass was never that annoying-*** bass that some people like where it just sounds like the six-by-nine's behind your head just might have blown up. I've heard some JL audio subs that sounded like that . . . they were sealed. Worst bass ever. I heard ONE JL in a ported box and it took out the need for installing massagers in your seats. It could have been whatever amp was running to it and all that though. All I'm saying is . . . PORTED!
Old 03-30-2006
Registered!!

msi1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
to update everyone on my decision.. I found an awesome local car audio shop that sold me a ported box...that can also be sealed...the vent is removeable and then it is resealable...also has a built in speaker grill to mount over the sub.

well, needless to say after I heard the sub vented there is no reason for me to even try sealed..the alpine type r is above and beyond my expectactions... clarity, depth, and volume are all absolutely wonderful.

Old 03-31-2006
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
I bought two MB Quarts and it came with 2 tuned ports, crazy thing was that the subs were in the same area like usually its one big hollow box, this was like someone took 2 boxes and sealed them togethers, so each sub had its own area. And like he ^ said, ported isnt bad, my bass is nothing but good deep bass, very responsive (91db), the only probably i had was my amp that i was using didnt meet the RMS rating so it didnt sound as good, but once i got my good amp fixed, the subs pound like hell

kudos to you man

btw when you wire the sub in the box, use 8 gauge, circuit city and best buy do like 14 or 18 gauge and when you have 8 or 12 from your amp to your sub it bottlenecks that crap IMO

Last edited by cwo715; 03-31-2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost