I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Grr.. Honda Stock HU + ?? + Alpine CHA S634 MP3 changer

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004
Roo
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roo is an unknown quantity at this point
Grr.. Honda Stock HU + ?? + Alpine CHA S634 MP3 changer

Anyone know of an adapter that will let me hook the Alpine CHA S634 MP3 changer to my stock head unit?

I've tried the Peripheral unit (didn't work).
I've been told the Blitzsafe does'n't work with the new changers (built recently)
And PIE has told me that I can't listen to MP3's? Just CDs?

I was aiming for the super stealth install -- stock look + huge collection of MP3s.. (and I wanted to avoid the iPod route)

Roo
Old 10-18-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Pretty sure you are SOL dude.
Time to buy an ////Alpine!!
Old 10-18-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
try an FM modulator
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

bboyclumsy is an unknown quantity at this point
did you try http://www.soundgate.com/products/cd/acura-honda.htm
Old 10-19-2004
Ultimate Member

teampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant future
get a better HU....
Old 10-25-2004
Roo
Registered!!

I've now got the PIE part.. which I need to install and try.

Getting a different head unit breaks the 'stealth install' I'm trying to do.

FM Modulation quality is too low.

Roo
Old 10-25-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
yep, fm modulator sucks. the quality is really sh*tty, but might as well get it if that's your last resort
Old 10-25-2004
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
It should work! Did you use the KCA-130B (alpine adaptor)? This changes the connector from Ai-Net to M-Bus (which the stock radio is)! Then get the adaptor from soundgate or prephrial.

Make sure that the changer is switched to M-Bus (thats the little switch under the eject button) and you should be able to listen to Mp3's and all!

^this step is very important!

Last edited by AlpineCivic; 10-25-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2004
Roo
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AlpineCivic
It should work! Did you use the KCA-130B (alpine adaptor)? This changes the connector from Ai-Net to M-Bus (which the stock radio is)! Then get the adaptor from soundgate or prephrial.

Make sure that the changer is switched to M-Bus (thats the little switch under the eject button) and you should be able to listen to Mp3's and all!

^this step is very important!
When you say "it should work" do you mean the Peripheral adapter -- since it clearly did not. And yes, I was in M-Bus mode.

The PIE adapter, I have not yet had a chance to do the install -- hopefully tonights.

Roo
Old 10-29-2004
Roo
Registered!!

I can now report that it does indeed work.

For reference:

2004 Honda Civic stock head unit (car purchased in Canada)
PIE HON98/PC-ALP
Alpine KCA 130B adapter
Alpine CHA S634 MP3 6 disc changer (very recent unit, built June 2004)

The changer is configured in "type 2" to use MBus controls vs. AI Net. The part # I received from the local dealer was simply marked HON/PC-ALP yet the instructions inside of the box referenced 1999-2001 Civics.

CDs play in the changer completely normally. I've only tested 1 MP3 disc so far, and it had significantly more than 100 tracks on it. Since the navigation controls are limited to skip forward/back a track things seem a little off with that many tracks available. Once I passed 99, the display wrapped back to 1 but the song playing was not song #1 on the disc. The stock head unit is clearly not entirely 'happy' about this, but it does appear that I will be able to listen to all of the tracks on the MP3 disc. Random functionality does work, but I was not able to verify that it would scan to a song beyond the first 99.

I believe for my needs, this is a good enough solution. I haven't yet installed the changer permanently -- hoping to be able to sneak it down near the spare tire so it takes up zero space in the trunk.

The cool thing is that I get a 100% stealth install. 6 MP3 discs (so basically, my own private radio station) and a completely stock look. And, and empty trunk

Roo