I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Fatmat hoodliner install

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Fatmat hoodliner install

Hey guys,

I recently bought and installed a fatmat hoodliner (black urethane facing). The mat helped some with the engine noise, and it looks good under the hood. The only problem I'm having is some of the liner peeling off near the bottom from the heat. It still stays in place though. I would suggest putting the fatmat down while leaving some space on the sides. That way when you put down the foam layer, it will cover around the fatmat and hold it better. Overall, it's a good sound deadening mod that was only 10 lbs. It helps even more in the higher rpms (I was driving up a mountain around 5krpms and I could barely hear the engine). Buy the black foam liner instead of the aluminum--the black urethane version will absorb engine heat and look nicer under the hood. Let me know if you have questions.

DIY: If you want to reduce noise in your car without adding too much weight:

1) Get a hoodliner (10lbs)
2) Dynamat the doors, trunk floor, and rear deck in one layer. (20lbs)
3) Add v-comp foam in doors (helps alot with rattle) (15lbs)
4) Put household carpet foam under floor (very light but good) (5-10lbs)

This will give you a noticably better environment for your stereo. All together it adds maybe 50 lbs but gives good results. Changing tires will help the most.
Old 08-03-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiceLocket is an unknown quantity at this point
i dunno, if u want to save money, u should just get roofing instead of dynamat. i have 7 layers of "dynamat" for 20$, which buys about 36 sq ft, much better than buying one layer dynamat trunk kit. if u really want to put them in the doors, u can use the roofing in there too.
Old 08-04-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
You can use an alternative to dynamat, like fatmat or brown bread. I said one layer to keep the weight down.
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

gliph is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks gearbox, i was wondering if it would make that much of a difference... i guess you just have to wait several weeks from when you order it...
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

this is what the roofing looks like
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	small sized weatherwrap.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	6476  
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

here's what it looks like on my trunk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	small sized trunk w wrap.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	6477  
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

dont' use this on the hood tho, heat makes the thing fall off. but its good everywhere else besides the hood
Old 08-05-2003
Premium Member

The hoodliner starts to come off a little bit from the heat, but it still stays in place. It does make a good difference with noise.
Old 08-05-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by LiceLocket
here's what it looks like on my trunk

Looks like a bad mistake.
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by pheaton

Looks like a bad mistake.
a real mistake would be spending nearly 300$ when the material and quality is actually worth only 10$.
Old 08-05-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
You people are so worried about weight, but it really doesnt make a difference.....200 sq. feet of fatmat is only about 60 pounds....thats not gonna make a difference in anything really....
Old 08-07-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
Grey might object to that
Old 08-07-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Gray can kiss my ***. He's been in my car and he said the ambient road noise reduction is worth the 60 pounds. And besides, if you are gonna be racing your car at the track then you wouldent be adding amps and subs to your trunk.

Bottom line: 60 pounds won't noticably effect your speed.
Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Heh - I just posted a topic about this. I bought the silver hood liner, and have the same problem with the foam not sticking. Its not completely falling off, just in certain spots. But the sound deadening is amazing, esp at higher RPM like you said.....
Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
It amazes me...
People get intakes and fart cannons to be loud...
Then insulate the hell out of everything to quiet it back down...

Just thought I'd point that out...it's not pointed at anyone in particular.
Just the forum in general.
Old 08-14-2003
Premium Member

That's why I took off my intake. I still have the exhaust, which is pretty loud for a rear section.
Old 08-14-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
i always prefered when people say "wow, your car still has a little bit of pickup despite having 400+ pounds of stereo equipment!"

hoodliner in reality is a completely different sounddeadener than standard dynamat, or tar paper. its padded insetead, and made from a very heat resistant material. if it comes off in patches, you cna use a roller to put it back on. itll eventually laminate.

whereas tarpaper from home depot (stormguard, $60 for 200 sq feet) would melt off completely

the aluminum face dynamat is a joke becuase waves bounce off it rather than get absorbed, like gearbox said. this is critical when you are installing say, speakers in teh doors, i dont know if its supercritical in the engine bay. might help reduce engine noise for everyone else drivig down teh street maybe?

i too went the cheap route (at first) i bought a roll of stormguard from home depot. i thought it was great, so much deadener for so cheap! but theres a reason. it doesnt stay laminated. within several weeks, id say 90% fell off. ive only got a few sheets in my doors and a little in the sidepanels that remained laminated ot the frame. cheap deadener is just not the way to go, unfortunately. redeadeded my car with a better material and the difference is just absolutely night and day.

but the 2 cents i wanted to add is that you forgot one of the most important places to deaden your car for road noise! the wheelwell!

if you cna pull off the wheel, cover your syspension with newspaper, and unload an entire can of ruberized undercoating up in teh wheelwell, it can do wonders to prevent roadnoise from entering the cabin through noise race tires, or even just the standard stock tires....
Old 08-14-2003
Registered!!

doctorc is an unknown quantity at this point
i have he same prob with my fatmat hoodliner on my civic.
i am calling them for a refund.
they insist that no others have reported this problem.
i am going to point them to this thread
Old 08-15-2003
Premium Member

wow, thanks for the info WhiteRabbit!
Old 08-15-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
the best thing about deadening yrou car is the doors, when yoru finished, they dont close like a tin foil door *ker-thunk!kkk*, they sound like a freaking mercedes 1000 pound door *thud.*

i love that noise
Old 08-17-2003
Registered!!

FatMat refund (not sticking)

Well, after reading this thread and having my problems with the FatMat I decided to e-mail them this request to ask for a refund (see below). I will post any follow up messages I have from them here and let you know if they do honor their 'satisfaction guarantee'

--------

Hi the day after I received this e-mail from you last week I opened my hood and the liner had completely fallen off (all except for one small corner) and was sitting on top of my engine.

I did an internet search and I find that I am not the only one suffering from this problem. Please see the following link to a forum where users are discussing this very problem with your product:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

It was a severe disaster to remove the left over sticky residue left by the mat, and I still do not have it completely removed.

Given that your web site offers a money back guarantee, I would like to request a refund for this product.

I would also like to ask, can you recommend anything that will take the residual 'gunk' off the underside of my hood where the mat became unstuck.

I am really disappointed, because when it WAS stuck to the hood, this product did in fact work to reduce engine noise, and I was very pleased with this.

However, it doesn't stay stuck, not only to my car, but to others as well. Perhaps you can revise the product to make it more 'sticky' or provide some other means of adhesion.

In the mean time, please let me know that you do intend to honor your refund policy, and let me know the amount and date to expect the credit.

Thank you

Dr. Carter R. Coberley

---- carter@coberley.com ----

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Support@Armyourbody.com [mailto:Support@armyourbody.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 4:39 PM
> To: Carter Coberley
> Subject: Re: Need tracking #, Item may have been lost. Thanks
>
>
> Carter,
> Thank you for your purchase. We have sold this Liner for
> about a year and you are the first of our Customers to have a
> problem with it adhering. When you applied the FatMat and the
> Liner you have to be certain that there are no air pockets
> between the FatMat and you hood, and between the FatMat and
> liner.It there are and air pockets it would cause it to sag,
> or Peel. The Heat from your engine will not make our Product
> peel or Sag, it is designed for this type of heat. The Heat
> actually helps it stick. Please try to make sure you do not
> have any air pockets.
>
> Thank you.
> Devona
> Support@ArmYourBody.com
> www.FatMat.com
> www.ArmYourBody.Com
>
> Toll Free Phone Support & Ordering
> 1-866-665-4367
> Fax: 1-814-665-9270
> PayPal Address
> sales@fatmat.com
> sales@armyourbody.com
Old 08-17-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like they aren't going to do much. Who knows what'll happen. If they don't do anything let us know - otherwise I'm just going to use some 3M double sided tape or something when it falls off.....
Old 08-17-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Use webbing spray adhesive. Spray the mat, then the hood, wait 1 minute till tacky, and attach the mat. A good brand is called "Stick-It". It is permanent though.
Old 08-18-2003
Premium Member

Mine is half off already and peeling fast. Before I used to be able to press it back for a minute, but now it does not stick at all. I'm thinking about ripping it off if it gets any more loose.

As for the residue, I'm betting goo-gone would work. It'll just take time.
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
I have a suggestion, but it'll take a lot of prep. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, cause I just thought it up and haven't analyzed the idea yet.

Take off the hood and lay it down, inside Up, on something that won't scratch the paint. Tape off the areas that you don't want to get mussed up.

Here's the kicker...spray or roll some of that bedliner stuff that you can get from Autozone for truck beds, onto the underside of the hood.

What do you guys think??
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

if it doesnt stick, theres nothing you cna add to make it stick. its not jsut adhesion you want, its cohesion, i tneeds to act as ONE MATERIAL to work right.

if a heatgun isnt enough to install it, you put it on with a blowtorch. and if the material wont melt on, theres nothing you cna do to make it work right.

i think the company is right, i think it was a matter of airbubbles. that with zero airbubbles, the liner wasnt going anywhere.
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

I'm sorry whiterabbit - I have to disagree on this one. I installed the hood liner per their instructions (which includes scrubbing the hood). I had no air bubbles under as far as I could tell.

However, I believe that some sort of adhesive material will work, since the back is just foam. Its not really coheasion which is holding this on, but just the sticky snot that they have on the back of the foam. The foam is what does the damping, of the soundwaves. The asphalt mat just changes the damping characteristics of the hood. I'm sure 3M makes some sort of adhesive which will do the job. Its sort of funny, but most of the fat mat which I purchased didn't quite stick when compared to the dynamat which I bought before trying the fat mat. I must say that I am disappointed in the quality of their product. I think its worth more to spend on dynamat vs fat mat (no odor with dynamat either - mine STILL hasn't gone away after 3 months!!!).
Old 08-18-2003

edicivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Door Thud

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit
the best thing about deadening yrou car is the doors, when yoru finished, they dont close like a tin foil door *ker-thunk!kkk*, they sound like a freaking mercedes 1000 pound door *thud.*

i love that noise
whiterabbit,

i agree with you on this, i got a question for ya. can you tell me the process when installing that stuff on your doors? do you completely remove that plastic liner, or do you stick it back on? how big a piece of the sound deadener do you use on the door, one full piece or do you chop it up to make it fit?

thanks.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

for the door, you can put the plastic liner back on if you wish, im not sure of its function, maybe water, maybe sound, in either case, i left mine off.

the doors i did in spray rubber undercoating, there are no pieces to do, jsut a spray. if you do it, dont forget to cover up the windows, you dont want overspray to get on it.

ive noticed no audible difference doing the doors with pieces of deadener from like dynamat or anything, unless i use the aluminum backed kind. that tends to resonate speaker waves back, and hurts my doorspeaker response.
Old 08-20-2003
Registered!!

Unhappy fatmat refund saga...

Still no word from FatMat as to whether or not they intend to honor their money back guarantee. I would advise anyone who is considering purchasing this product to think otherwise and look elsehwere...

-----------

Hello,

Am I to assume that your silence indicates that you are not going to be honoring your money back guarantee?

Please let me know what you intend to do.

Thanks

-Carter

---- carter@coberley.com ----

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Carter Coberley [mailto:carter@coberley.com]
> Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 5:47 PM
> To: 'Support@Armyourbody.com'
> Cc: 'Carter Coberley'
> Subject: Requesting refund for FatMat hood liner
>
>
> Hi the day after I received this e-mail from you last week I
> opened my hood and the liner had completely fallen off (all
> except for one small
> corner) and was sitting on top of my engine.
>
> I did an internet search and I find that I am not the only
> one suffering from this problem. Please see the following
> link to a forum where users are discussing this very problem
> with your product:
>
> http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...?s=bf8ad1b0204
> 0d07b1568b
> 4479573d6cf&threadid=107364&perpage=15&pagenumber= 1
>
>
> It was a severe disaster to remove the left over sticky
> residue left by the mat, and I still do not have it
> completely removed.
>
> Given that your web site offers a money back guarantee, I
> would like to request a refund for this product.
>
> I would also like to ask, can you recommend anything that
> will take the residual 'gunk' off the underside of my hood
> where the mat became unstuck.
>
> I am really disappointed, because when it WAS stuck to the
> hood, this product did in fact work to reduce engine noise,
> and I was very pleased with this.
>
> However, it doesn't stay stuck, not only to my car, but to
> others as well. Perhaps you can revise the product to make it
> more 'sticky' or provide some other means of adhesion.
>
> In the mean time, please let me know that you do intend to
> honor your refund policy, and let me know the amount and date
> to expect the credit.
>
> Thank you
>
> Dr. Carter R. Coberley
>
>
> ---- carter@coberley.com ----
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Support@Armyourbody.com [mailto:Support@armyourbody.com]
> > Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 4:39 PM
> > To: Carter Coberley
> > Subject: Re: Need tracking #, Item may have been lost. Thanks
> >
> >
> > Carter,
> > Thank you for your purchase. We have sold this Liner for
> > about a year and you are the first of our Customers to have a
> > problem with it adhering. When you applied the FatMat and the
> > Liner you have to be certain that there are no air pockets
> > between the FatMat and you hood, and between the FatMat and
> > liner.It there are and air pockets it would cause it to sag,
> > or Peel. The Heat from your engine will not make our Product
> > peel or Sag, it is designed for this type of heat. The Heat
> > actually helps it stick. Please try to make sure you do not
> > have any air pockets.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Devona
> > Support@ArmYourBody.com
> > www.FatMat.com
> > www.ArmYourBody.Com
> >
> > Toll Free Phone Support & Ordering
> > 1-866-665-4367
> > Fax: 1-814-665-9270
> > PayPal Address
> > sales@fatmat.com
> > sales@armyourbody.com
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Carter Coberley" <carter@coberley.com>
> > To: "Support@Armyourbody.com" <Support@armyourbody.com>
> > Cc: <shopping@coberley.com>
> > Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 8:36 AM
> > Subject: Re: Need tracking #, Item may have been lost. Thanks
> >
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I received the item and installed it this weekend (hood liner). I
> > > followed the directions precisely, using your degreasing agent
> > > supplied, and I even made sure to degrease the underside of
> > the hood
> > > thoroughly with 409, and Isopropyl alcohol (2 full wipe downs,
> > > followed by 2 wipe downs with dry paper towels in
> between) before I
> > > used your degreaser.
> > >
> > > Then I applied the FatMat first, using the roller.
> > Temperature was >
> > > 85 degrees that day. I also then applied the hood liner. I then
> > > pressed firmly over the entire surface for > 5 minutes, and then
> > > parked the car for the whole weekend to let the adhesive set in.
> > >
> > > As of today (tuesday) I popped the hood after my 1 hour
> > commute into
> > > work. The fatmat (tar paper) and the hood liner are both
> > peeling from
> > > the underside of the hood. It is starting to sag and fall off.
> > >
> > > I believe this is simply because when it gets warm, the
> > adhesive does
> > > not stick as well, and so it's starting to peel away.
> > >
> > > This is extremely unfortunate, since the product actually
> > DOES reduce
> > > engine noise fairly well in my car, and I was really enjoying it.
> > > However, having it peel off is not acceptable.
> > >
> > > Do you offer any kind of money back / satisfaction guarantee?
> > >
> > > Can you also offer any advice as to how to get the now
> > peeling fatmat
> > > / hood liner off of the underside of my hood (the residual sticky
> > > stuff stuck all over the bottom of the hood is looking very
> > bad in the
> > > areas where it is detatching - how do I completely remove
> > the adhesive
> > > safely, without damaging the paint on the underside of the hood?)
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > -Carter
> > >
> > > On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:29:47 -0400, "Support@Armyourbody.com"
> > > <Support@armyourbody.com> said:
> > > > Carter,
> > > > Thank you for your order. Your order was scheduled to
> > be shipped
> > > > out
> > on
> > > > Monday but our Warehouse is running behind, and your
> > order will go out
> > > > on Wednesday, Thursday at the latest. The tracking
> > number for your
> > > > order is 131385110029943, FedEx. If you have any
> > questions please feel
> > > > free to contact us.
> > > >
> > > > Thank you.
> > > > Devona
> > > > Support@ArmYourBody.com
> > > > www.FatMat.com
> > > > www.ArmYourBody.Com
> > > >
> > > > Toll Free Phone Support & Ordering
> > > > 1-866-665-4367
> > > > Fax: 1-814-665-9270
> > > > PayPal Address
> > > > sales@fatmat.com
> > > > sales@armyourbody.com
> > > >
> > > -->> carter@coberley.com <<--
> > >
> >
> >
> > ---
> > Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
> > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release Date: 8/14/2003
> >
> >
>

Quick Reply: Fatmat hoodliner install