I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

painting the inside of a sub box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilbluecivic is an unknown quantity at this point
painting the inside of a sub box?

i dint know what i should search under. so like the title says, is it possible, would it do anything to the sq, and what should i use? thanks to anyone that can help me
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
Paint shouldn't do anything to sound quality. If you want to pain it Flat black just get a good bottle of spraypaint and paint it, but if you want show quality paint job and your gonna paint on MDF you should use poly primer sand it down smooth then use primer than paint it the color you want it then clear coat and finally color sand it to get the orange peel out.
Old 05-09-2003
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Insides of sub boxes are often painted to ensure the box is air tight. People like to use that spray rubber stuff that's used to spray on truck beds.
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

konstanting is an unknown quantity at this point
i also would think that you might wanna use somehting that will prevent water from going in, forgot what you call that stuff....just so its waterresistant.
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
if you want to talk about pure theory, then it takes a maximum distance in your box of 1/4th the wavelength to cause quality problems

lets say yrou box is crossed over at 100 Hz or so. 100 Hz has a wavelength of ~11 feet. thus, if your box's maximum dimension is 2.817 feet in length, then yes, you will have to worry about quality issues.

otherwise, if yrou box is braced to the point of zero resonance, then youll have no issues.

and if you DO have issues, most likely its the bracing, or lack of it, not the paint, thats causing it.

and if you didnt wanna read all that crap, the inside of my MDF section of my box is painted white, and ive had no paint issues yet.......
Old 05-12-2003

alex053 will become famous soon enough
i paint my boxes cause mdf is porus (spelling?) by nature. I just use it as a sealant.
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
man, i had an argument about this exact same topic with someone else a couple years ago here. But the fact is, youll never have to worry about MDF leaking air, youll never have to worry abotu water, youll never have to worry about bouncing waves.

you need to worry abotu volume, you need to worry abotu flexing, you need to worry about large holes.

even screw holes wont change the performance THAT drastically. path of least resistance.

but surely rear wave interactions and porus mdf and waterresistance are non issues for MDF boxes.

have you ever put a piece of MDF in harsh weather conditions for long periods of time? youll find that that even after long times, the core of the material retains its strength.

there is a reason MDF has the nickname "waterproof particleboard"
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

lilbluecivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by WhiteRabbit
man, i had an argument about this exact same topic with someone else a couple years ago here. But the fact is, youll never have to worry about MDF leaking air, youll never have to worry abotu water, youll never have to worry about bouncing waves.

you need to worry abotu volume, you need to worry abotu flexing, you need to worry about large holes.

even screw holes wont change the performance THAT drastically. path of least resistance.

but surely rear wave interactions and porus mdf and waterresistance are non issues for MDF boxes.

have you ever put a piece of MDF in harsh weather conditions for long periods of time? youll find that that even after long times, the core of the material retains its strength.

there is a reason MDF has the nickname "waterproof particleboard"
im impressed, you seem to know your ****