I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

plans plans and more plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MITCHfromMN is an unknown quantity at this point
plans plans and more plans

Okay, this is the setup i'm going for in order of purchase, I've only just started saving so I don't actually have any of this yet:

HU: Alpine 7995 (no internal amp)
Comp Amp: JL 300/4
Comp: JL XR650-CSi
Rear (maybe): JL TR690-TXi
Sub: JL 13W6v2
Sub Amp: JL 500/1

Hopefully I'll be able to get the comp speakers soon after I get the amp, but could I hook it up to the factory speakers in the meanwhile? If so, how is this accomplished, through the HU or would I have to directly wire them? I have an old 8" Infinity beta series sub to hold me over in the bass department. When I get the sub what would be the best box? By this I mean, would I be better off getting a JL box like the HO wedge or build a box myself? Anyone have experience with JL boxes? How much do they cost? I've never constructed a box myself, but I think I could do it with help. Sorry for the multiple questions. Any opinions are welcome.

BTW this is my first post
Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

Okay I've searched around and I'd think you would agree it would be a bad idea to amp the factory speakers. Next time I'll search more before I post. I'd still like to know what's so speacial about the JL boxes though....
Old 03-08-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
The JL box is good just because it says JL on it, and because its designed perfectly for JL's speakers. Jl actually gives you the dimensions and designs to build it yourself, as i would
Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

Cyko is an unknown quantity at this point
One of my friends built one of those JL boxes with that oval cutout thing going on
and covered in fake leather for about $40 except his was better than one of JL's
boxes [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
sounds like a good plan, i would only reccommend minor changes.

id reccommend getting teh 300/2 for those XR components instead of the 300/4, it will alow you to fully take advantage of those awesome speakers.

for the rear, i would get VR's or something else, or nothing at all, the TR's I wouldnt bother with at all, really. the TR's really cant hold a candle in performance to the VR.

I would personally leave the rears out. you wont miss them with those XR's with that power going to them, and youll open up those holes in the back to let more bass into teh cabin from that 13w6.

i recently finished building an all JL speaker install myself, it sounds awesome. i think your gonna be very happy with that
Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

alright cool, thanks for the good advice.
Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

izod is an unknown quantity at this point
I, would not recommend a 300/2 on those XR components. The 300/4 is perfect for powering four channels. It runs enough power RMS, and then can peak to much higher levels, just like the speakers. I dont think its wise to put 150 watts RMS on a speaker not made for it (i.e. the XR components). Trust me, they get PLENTY loud with a 300/4, windows down, at 90 mph.
Old 03-09-2003
Registered!!

I don't know if this should be a new post or what[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG], but anyway...

Are these reasonable prices? I got all this off www.purecaraudio.com. They only have a 30 day return policy. Will JL honor it's waranty for products sold online? If not, what do you think? I sure would like to save the money. Well, tell me if you think this looks right.

Alpine 7995: $389.99
XR-650CSi: $254.99
VR-690CXi: $163.99
JL 300.4: $355.99
JL 500.1: $374.99

They don't have the 13w6v2 (anyone know how much these run?)

Old 03-09-2003
Registered!!

Okay, if I wanted to have a 1 year warranty on the JL stuff I would have to buy it from a JL authorized dealer and have them install it, so this would be like over a grand on top of all of what I just posted. Also, I just looked on ebay (just curious) and I could save like an extra hundred off each of those prices. What is a guy to do???
Old 03-09-2003
Registered!!

fiftycent is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the 13w6v2 even out yet? How much would it run? I was thinking about getting one since I have the 500/1 and the rms on the sub is 500.
Old 03-09-2003
Registered!!

izod is an unknown quantity at this point
I got all my stuff on ebay used. Just keep your eyes out, and you'll find some great deals. I got my 300/4 for $300, almost brand new, purchase from a hifibuys. I got my 1000/1 for $600 (the guy still has another sale if you're interested), out of a comp vehicle, almost brand new.