I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

LCD, PS2 & Stock Radio???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KeeblaElf is an unknown quantity at this point
LCD, PS2 & Stock Radio???

Ok, I've searched and searched and searched, but I didn't find anything covering this specific topic. What I wanna do is this:

Install a 5.6" or 6" screen above my cupholders, and have a PS2 hooked up to it (either stored in glovebox or under the seat or in trunk, haven't decided which yet). My question is, I still have the stock HU, and I would like to keep it if possible, if only because adding a new HU just screams "STEAL ME!"...can it be done? And, do I even have to hookup my PS2 and TV audio into my stock head unit? Not like I want incredible sound, even when if I'm watching movies...maybe eventually, but not off the bat...

I already have an amp hooked up to my stock HU...

HELP please!
Old 12-04-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Hooking up a PS2 and monitor above your cup holders screams "STEAL ME" more than a HU would. A in dash fold out screen is better cause at least the screen hides. There are no inputs on the stock HU. What you'll have to do is get an RCA switch and plug it into your amp for you door speakers. You'll have to switch it over everytime you want to have music played from your PS2 on your speakers. It'll be easier to get a fold out screen in your HU, though most likely it will cost more than your setup. You may find later that you'll hate dealing with that button that swaps AV inputs is usually on the switch itself you'll have to find a convenient place to install it. Powered AV switches are available also but you'll have to get a power inverter for that.
Old 12-04-2002
Truehonda.com

bublik is an unknown quantity at this point
Litespeed, thats quite some explanation, but let me handle it. I just installed my 5.6" near the cupholders and hooked up a dreamcast with a STOCK HU. Anyways, you have to buy what is called a FM Modulator. This allows you to hook up your Stock HU and use the FM mod as a "radio transmitter" to some unused station like fm 88.7. You connect that to the antenna part of the Stock HU and connect the existing antenna cord to the fm mod. Be careful, I got a crappy XO Vision FM mod and some to most radio stations DONT WORK. Get only alpine, mobile tv, or accelevision, those are high quality brands. As for the tv, you will get a connection box which has to be tucked away under the radio somewere (really big bitch) and your set. Oh yea, the PS2 needs a converter from ac-dc. Get a nice one too, because a friend gave me his and it is loud!! Remeber, you get what you pay for. Dont buy cheap screens like emmerson, pyle, or anything you see alot on ebay. They are actually refurbished LCD's, but the casing is new and that is why they can claim they are new. They have worse pic quality than a VCR connected to an 80's TV. The nice ones have over 600 lines or resolution, the shitty have 200. Hope that helps its a lot, email me if you need install help.
Old 12-04-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh yea... I forgot about the FM modulator. I was thinking about how an aftermarket changer connects to a factory HU and couldn't remember what it was. Though the SQ through one of those is poor. But far better idea than what I suggested.
Old 12-04-2002
Registered!!

KeeblaElf is an unknown quantity at this point
well, I want to be able to remove the screen if necessary, which I know you can do with certain brands of LCD's...i DO NOT want an in-dash, as they are cumbersome and definitely not worth the cost IMO, unless I can find a refurbished one @ the Kenwood outlet, which I might try...my other ? is in regards to the amp powering my subs...if I recall, wouldn't I already have an FM Modulator hooked up to my stock HU to allow for the RCA's running to my amp in the back? Or is that another item [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

I really don't think that a removable LCD and a hidden PS2 screams STEAL ME more than an aftermarket HU...just my opinion I guess...and it definitely doesn't scream STEAL ME more than an in-dash LCD...