I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

JBL BP 1200.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002
The LA Clipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
JBL BP 1200.1

Several people have asked me how I like my JBL 1200.1 amp so I wrote a review to be posted in the reviews section. The posts in the review section do not automatically post because I thinked they have to be proofed first. Anyway, if you are curious about my experience with the amp so far look for that soon.

Also, this is a review that I found from a few years back in "Car Stereo Review: JBL Review from Car stereo review
Old 10-16-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
its a workhorse amp. thats all. tons of power, but the onboard electronics are a joke. almost as much as the electronics as the earthquake D2. i cant believe what a difference my 6xs made in woofer performance versus the 1200.1 internal crossover. very audible, night and day difference.
Old 10-16-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Like I heard you say before, "You get what you pay for"
Old 10-16-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
jbl1200.1 + AC 24xs: $550ish

used arc 1kwatt amp: maybe $550

1000/1: 600 on ebay....

its all comparable. 1200.1 has more noise potential, but also a steeper crossover slope (is the 1000/1 a 24 dB slope?)
Old 10-16-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
the Arc 1500D-R or 2500?..

the 1500D-r is a typical class D amp with a 24db/octave x/o

the 2500 is a Monster with the fastest slew rate of any high power amp..
Old 10-16-2002
Registered!!

i was told online the 2500 new went for $750 and could be found used from 400-600........
Old 10-18-2002
Registered!!

greg2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Curious what a "slew rate" is?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
alright i just bought this amp, i'm supposed to be picking it up along with a fosgate power hx2 on monday. couple question...
what size inline fuse should i use? 120 watt? i have the fuses that look like a little light bulb, do they even have those in 120? i think highest is 80. would i have to get the flat fuse holders?
also you said they needed a sub-sonic filter... they didnt have any at the store but i was wondering if it was crucial to get it. if i do need one, do you think keeping it at a low volume would work? how much did you pay for your filter anyways? i saw them for 30 on a couple sites.
oh and speaker wire.. what size would i need? i think i have 12 gauge, it should be fine right? the other review you posted said they were using 8 gauge.. seems too thick no?
Old 10-20-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
youre gonna give 1200+rms watts to a single fosgate sub?
so back to the matter, subsonic filter is only necessary if youre gonna be using a ported enclosure... and i think 12 gauge is fine...
also, an 80 will do fine... theres no way youre gonna pull all 1200+ watts out of that amp...
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: greg2k1
Curious what a "slew rate" is?

Thanks[hr]

Okay in short and in leymans terms..it's the rate at which an amp switches polarity..

Basically the lapsed time between changing from positive to negative.

Most amps there's up to a .03 millisecond delay..the higher the slew rate.. the less of a delays..the more controlled the cone movement will be...
Old 10-20-2002

whats the slew rate on the arc you were talking about?

and will .02 milliseconds to .03 milliseconds really be that much of a difference?
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: LudlamTheory
whats the slew rate on the arc you were talking about?

and will .02 milliseconds to .03 milliseconds really be that much of a difference?[hr]
I just checked their site and it's completely changed..they used to have it posted...but don't anymore so I haven;'t a clue
Old 10-20-2002
The Standard One

the sub is rated 1000wrms
and i'm getting a sealed box so i guess its fine
oh and if you read the car stereo review it says they pulled almost 1400 watts at 14.4v or something.

Old 10-20-2002

in real life terms, youll never be at 14.4 volts, especially with that much power draw going on.... but thats why i wrote 1200+ watts...
Old 10-20-2002
The LA Clipper

[hr]also you said they needed a sub-sonic filter... they didnt have any at the store but i was wondering if it was crucial to get it. if i do need one, do you think keeping it at a low volume would work? how much did you pay for your filter anyways? i saw them for 30 on a couple sites.[hr]

I bought a Harrison Labs Subsonic filter for $30 dollars from the Zeb. You really only neede for ported enclosures though, but it will also limit the amount of power that you ask your amp to produce because you are not playing inaudible frequencies.
In regards to speaker wire, I think I am using 12 gauge Monster. I am not for sure though. It is the moster wiring that is blue and white held tegether with clear plastic covering. I am pretty sure it is 12 gauge.
It is not woth it to buy a 1200 watt amp and always keep it at low volume...you gotta crank it sometimes...especially in LA when you have some vato locos pull up on you trying to bump in a Monte Carlo!!!
Old 10-21-2002
The Standard One

ya i didnt pay hundreds of dollars to play it low so i was just going to keep it low till i got it but since you guys said i should be fine, hopefully i'll be annoying my neighbors tomorrow. i'll probably end up getting the filter just incase, and as you said the amp doesnt waste power trying to play those really low frequencies. i think i have those same cables too, i dunno i just got the thickest they had cause i knew i was going to upgrade my system.

n monte carlos in my neighborhood? right... all i have is foos with 92' civics/accords 2 16s and 2 stock wheels on their cars, altezzas, primed body kits, cars with bondo patches. even my stock speakers out bump their system, people on ventura blvd(where all the rich people are at) is where my competition is... but ya one day...