I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Bridging and amp decision help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Bridging and amp decision help needed!

Well, I was planning to buy 4 speakers and a 4 channel amp but am taking Mohawk's advice and just upgrading the front speakers and buying a 2 channel amp.

I am getting the MB Quart PSD 216 component speakers that are rated at 60-130watts.

I need help in choosing the amp:

Either theMRV-T320 or the MRV-T420.

Would it be better to get the 420 and not bridge the channels to get the 75 watts per channel or get the 320 and bridge the 2 channels (t320 is about 70 bucks cheaper).

I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I don't understand how you take a 2 channel amp and bridge the 2 channels and get more power to 2 speakers than leaving them seperate. I understand how bridging the channels gives you more power to 1 speaker like a sub, but not 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how in the heck do you bridge a 2 channel and send the power to 2 speakers?

Man, I am lost!
Old 09-10-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
you dont bridge a 2 channel to 2 channel's, you bridge a 4 channel to 2 channels... if you bridged a 2 channel to 2 speakers you'd lose the whole stereo effect... also look into some other amps.. much cheaper... look into some mtx or other brands... nextag.com or ikesound.com or onlinecarstereo.com all have good prices...
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

• 12V RMS Continuous Power 4ohm; Stereo (0.08% THD) 50Wx2 2ohm; Stereo (0.3% THD) 80x2 Bridged 4ohm; (0.3% THD) 160x1

Thats the spec for the t320. What exactly do they mean by the "...80x2 bridged 4ohm...?"

I don't want anything cheaper. I will only buy alpine amps and HUs.

Hey, thanks for the help. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
80x2 bridged at 4 ohms

ohms is the resistence of the speaker. 4 ohms is about average resistence for a speaker. So if you had a 2 ohm speaker, it would have less resistence than a 4 ohm speaker. If you have less resistence the amp will put out more power to your speakers than a speaker with more resistence.

Not all speakers are made with same resistences so companies advertise the wattage on their amps and a certain resistence.

When I see "80x2 bridged at 4 ohms" then I would assume its a 4 channel amp that when you bridge the amp into 2 channels it will put out 80 watts into 2 channels if the speakers are at a resistence of 4 ohms.

Also... I would have to go with Ludlam here. I'd check out Crutchfield to get an idea of what other amps are out there and their price ranges unless you are set on getting either of those amps. Alpine makes good amps so there is nothing wrong with them, but in my opinion, there are amps out there that are equal in quality that won't break the bank.

Hope this helps. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

[hr]I don't want anything cheaper. I will only buy alpine amps and HUs. [hr]
Oops! Missed that part. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

Hey thanks for the help Litespeed and ludlam.

The quarts impedence spec is 4 ohms.

The t320 and t420 are both 2/1 channel amps.

How does the 4ohms play into the power of those 2 amps. You can see the specs of them by clicking the links in my original post.

Sorry, I just don't know anything about this stuff. I have put equipment in my car twice and both times I walked into the store, picked it out, and they installed it. I am ordering everything off ebay more than likely and installing myself. So, I am trying to figure out as much as I can.

-Matt
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

No problem, just as long as what I'm saying is helping out.

On those 2 amps... you want to look at the continuous poweron them because that's the power they will consistently output. Don't worry about the max power because you won't always get that much out of an amp. So since you will be running 4 ohm speakers, the 320 with put out 50x2 continuously and the 420 will put out 72x2 continuously.

So if you get the 320 you'll put 50 watts into each of your component speakers and if you get teh 420 you'll be putting 75 watts into each.

If I were you... I would get the 420. With the speakers you are getting, you will hear a difference in sound quality with 50 watts versus 75. The 420 will make your speakers sound better than the 320.

Hope I explained everything well. Lemme know what you decide.
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

Oh you're helping alright. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

Yea, the 420 seems to be the better one because of the increase in power. I just don't know if that is going to be enough. The speakers are rated @ 60-130 watts. So, I am going to be on the bottom end of the speakers' range. Now, I am thinking about getting a 4 channel amp and bridging it into 2 channels to get as close to 100watts/speaker as possible. Think there would be any sound difference or would it be worth it to get a 4 channel and bridge it for the extra wattage?

Oh, and I still don't get what those specs saying bridged 80x2 when it's a 2 channel amp...

Hmm...I think I am going to try and call mb q and see how much power they say would be adequate.
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

I just talked to a guy at mb quart. He said that 75 a channel would be just right. The specs say 60-130 but he said 60-100 is best and that I didn't want to over power them. This guy could have talked to me all day. I believe he would have answered every question I have and then some. I almost couldn't get the guy to shut up. LOL

I should have asked him about the bridge on a 2 channel but completely forgot when he went off on a tangent.

Looks like the t420 is it then.
Old 09-11-2002

you didnt look at the 14.4v rms rating... your car's electrical system usually fluctuates, but at rest its at 14.4 volts, and it should never drob below 12.8, so with the 420, its rated at 110 w rms stereo at 14.4, so youll be averaging around 100 watts... the mb's handle like 130, right? get the 420 if youre gonna pick, the added power, although i doubt noticeable at most times, you might notice some clearer sound at the top volume range... worst thing to do to a speaker is underpower it, not overpower...
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

Well, I just assumed I should be looking at the 12volt specs because of it being a 12volt batt and what not. Man, do I have a lot to learn. It's quite interesting though. I just bought the t420 off of ebay. Now, I just have to get the hu and speakers.

I just can't figure out those bridged figures on a 2 channel amp. I know I have seen diagrams of a 2 channel amp bridged and then out to 2 speakers but don't see how this is advantagous.

hmmm...I have been reading on several sites about all this stuff. I had to stop when I couldn't focus on the screen anymore.

Hey, I appreciate the help!
Old 09-11-2002

its all about the forums man... everything i know about car audio i learned on this forum, and on the sounddomain and carsound forums... let me know if you need any other help or if you have any curiosities about the stuff... email : ludlamtheory@earthlink.net, AIM : dubitalie ... im online hours a day