I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

What Headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
What Headunit?

Hey veryone, I am was talking to some people about getting some new speakers and when I told them that I still had my stock headunit, they told me that the first thing that I should do is change out my stock one and I will see a bigger difference with my stock speakers with a new headunit. The thing is, I keep hearing how some headunits sound better than others. I have been looking at the new kenwood 2002 units, but I keep hearing, I think it was alpine, that their cd players sound better for some reason. Could you all please recommend a new headunit that would make a difference in the way my stock speakers sound for right now and would sound good for future sound system upgrade? Thanks!
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
the best thing to do is go to a bunch of shops and demo their stuff, you can find what sounds best for you. only thing you dont get is the reliability problems in a shop:

sony WILL skip over time (NEVER heard anyone who had a sony deck for a long time with no skip)

kenwood rca preouts are ovverrated, if your amp gains can compensate without clipping, and teh voltages hold, youll be fine.....

pioneer is the best value, a solid deck, a great price, youll never pay for a feature you wont use

alpine a bit more, seem more complicated to use, a billion buttons, and uglier, but good quality, like pioneer

eclipse is very nice but is expensive

nak looks stock, VERY stealthy, and the SQ is wonderful I am told, i believe its a bit pricy also.....

Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Clarion has great sound quality..they do what their ratings claim and are very reliable.

the 3 HU Brands you can't go wrong with. Pioneer, Alpine, and Clarion for the price..

Cheers
Mohawk