I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Radio cuts out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mvanbv00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Radio cuts out?

I have an older (2007 or so) kenwood head unit that has been installed in my car for about two years. Recently it has started to turn it's self off when the volume is somewhat loud. It just recently started doing this. It normally cuts out at about volume setting 24-25 and I used to be able to listen to music at 30+ with no issues. Is the problem with the radio or something else electrical?

Oh, I listen to country and rock, not blaring bass if that matters. But I experimented and it does cut out easier with blaring bass (more like volume at 20).
Old 07-16-2012
Registered!!

Speakerboxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Radio cuts out?

Have you checked the wiring?
is it fully taped or clamped on?
Any metal from the wires showing?
Old 07-17-2012
Registered!!

I have not checked the wiring. It has been over two years since I have done the radio install. I would rather not tear into the car again just to check the wires if I don't have to. I was just curious if it could be a problem with the radio since it is older (overheating then shutting down?) or if it could possibly be an electrical issue with the car (like alternator not supplying enough power?)
Old 07-17-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

ya i'd agree; probably the wiring. never heard of a stereo not working due to an alternator or battery problem. from what you described, has to be a wire. also i wouldn't think the issue is because the deck is "old" (my pioneer is like 10+ years old and works like a champ). ya, it's a pain to tear apart the dash,.. just be glad it's something stupid like "my radio doesn't work" rather than major engine work and tearing down your block just to be able to drive your car!
Old 07-17-2012
Registered!!

For some reason I just don't think that it is the wiring. It ONLY cuts out when the volume is loud. I would think that if there was a loose connection then it would cut out at all volume levels.
Old 07-17-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mvanbv00
For some reason I just don't think that it is the wiring. It ONLY cuts out when the volume is loud. I would think that if there was a loose connection then it would cut out at all volume levels.
with or without booming bass, your stereo sends more rattle through the dash and car when the stereo is loud. even the frequency from treble makes vibration. when i had a stereo with some 12's back in the day, i had the same problem. when i would bang my bass hard it would cut out sometimes; but when i kept it low, play just fine. luckily on that car i had the cd player unmounted so i just pulled it out and checked the wires, sure enough i had one that was in the process of falling apart. just MO this is definitely a wire issue, but although i have never heard of this being the issue, you could get your battery and alternator tested first to make your mind at ease. let us know what turns out, good luck.

p.s. the only other reason my stereo (with the bass) would cut out when i was bumping hard, was when i overloaded the amp. do you have an amp that maybe is overheating?