I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mourtzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Projectors

What's up guys?
Was wondering if there was such thing as projectors WITHOUT halos for an 05 EM2.
I love the look of projectors on this car and I want more of a factory "look" of today's car so I'd like to go without the halos.
Yea I could always just not hook them up, or wire a switch up to them but I'd just rather do without them, you know?
Haha thanks guys!
Old 09-13-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Projectors

nope, altho you can remove the halos from the ones youre thinking of. prolly a good idea to open em up anyway since the projector inside sucks for driving. you can always put a small hid version in like the morimoto minis on retrofitsource.com
Old 09-14-2010
Registered!!

Thanks a lot man.
What do you recommend for sealing them back up?
Cuz last time I opened up a pair of headlights, they started to fog up when I put them back together.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 09-14-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the best is 3m windoweld butyl ribbon tape on a roll. sold in most auto stores. its sticky and soft just like the original goo. just put some extra in the channel sealing them back up, usually they dont have enough from the factory anyway. ive never had a pair leak doing that.
Old 09-15-2010
Registered!!

Sick, thanks so much!
So morimoto minis. Are those better for driving?
Old 09-15-2010
Registered!!

sam68 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the Morimoto kit from the retrofit source in a set of stock style lamps and I love them. I think he is suggesting them because they are smaller and will fit easiest.
Old 09-15-2010
Premium Member

yeah they are super small and very bright with sharp cutoffs. no comparison to the junky ebay projectors that come in there.
Old 09-18-2010
Registered!!

Thanks a lot guys!
So I just have to take my lamp apart, and swap the projector?
Is it that easy or will I have to do some work to make them fit?
Old 09-19-2010
Premium Member

well if you are using the oem honda reflector, the mini projectors screw right into the bulb hole without modification. it is easier than you can imagine. just open the lamp, remove the bulb reflector cap so theres just the hole, mount the mini from the front, then screw on the locking nut in the back. you do need to aim them on the car, but that is very simple since you can just rotate the projectors from the back, and use the stock adjustment screws to aim them up or down. if you use aftermarket housing, it may not be as easy. you may need to use custom hardware mounts (nuts and bolts) to secure the projector if the holes do not line up. you can check hidplanet.com/forums for more details and pics of the morimoto mini H1 projectors and what is involved. i did hid retrofit in tyc projectors on my 02 civic and it was hell to say the least lol. worth it, but i would never do it again. there are much easier solutions.

also i think you will have a much nicer factory look using the oem housing and mini projector fitted inside. and you get not only the hid hi beam (bixenon), but also the halogen hi beam. how can you say no to double hi beams?
Old 09-19-2010
Registered!!

Wow, ok so you're saying I can just take apart the housing on my car right now and fit the projectors?
That seems so, easy haha!
Only thing is that I'm a little worried about the look... If I mount the projector in the middle of the multi reflector housing, won't that look a little out of place?
Then again, I could just paint the housing black, due to the fact that I don't need the reflector anymore..
But just to be clear, if I take apart the lamp on my 05 Civic, the mini will just bolt in?
That's incredible.
Old 09-19-2010
Registered!!

94typecar is an unknown quantity at this point

hey wut is my code for my radio m98f02231
Old 09-19-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mourtzy
Wow, ok so you're saying I can just take apart the housing on my car right now and fit the projectors?
That seems so, easy haha!
Only thing is that I'm a little worried about the look... If I mount the projector in the middle of the multi reflector housing, won't that look a little out of place?
Then again, I could just paint the housing black, due to the fact that I don't need the reflector anymore..
But just to be clear, if I take apart the lamp on my 05 Civic, the mini will just bolt in?
That's incredible.
Yes they will I have them in my stock style housings, so yes they will work in your OEM housings, call Retrofit source $275 for the mini moto kit.
Old 09-20-2010
Premium Member

yeah 275 is for everything you need (projectors, bulbs, ballasts). just stuff them in your stock lights, mount the ballasts, and wire everything up. to be honest, wire harness will be the hardest part of the retrofit. ask retrofit source for a harness so you can just plug it all in. the projector will look nice in the reflector here is an example. the shroud choice is up to you, but the mini gun seems to work the best.

Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

Kit will come with a harness if I remember right, if not would be like $30 for it. It was so easy to do the entire project hardest part for me, or most PITA was separating the light housings but really that was quite easy. I used a heat gun on low took about a minute moving it around the housing and they came right apart.

Last edited by sam68; 09-20-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

Thanks a ton guys!
I can't believe it just bolts in so easy... Never would have even thought about doing something like this.
You guys think it would look nice if I painted the accents on the lights black? Or should I just keep everything chrome? Oh and what K bulb do you recommend? I'm leaning more towards 5000 just cuz I want more of a white light than 4300 but at the same time I'm worried that 6000 will be too white.. Any suggestions?
I'm open to opinions

Last edited by Mourtzy; 09-20-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

I have the 6000 and love it. You wont have any problems with cops over it because with the projector it is aimed right so no reason to pull you over. As far as painting the stock housings, I just bought some JDM stock style housings that were black already for $99 and put my kit in them. also so down the road if I wanted to sell/trade my car in I could just pop my stockers back in and sell my retros. O and it is that easy to do
Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

Great thanks!
You don't find that light output is limited a little bit because of the fact that 6000 is so white?
Also, what do they look like from a distance? Cuz I want blue from far away, I don't much care what they look like close up tho
So would 6000 have a little more of a 'blueish' hint to them vs. 5000/4300?

Last edited by Mourtzy; 09-20-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-20-2010
Premium Member

the projectors themselves give a blue/purple line in the beam cutoff already. so even 4300k bulbs will look bluish from far away.
Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

Ok cool.
and sorry last question! Which bulbs will give me the most light output?
Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

I think they say 4300 or 5000 for most light output.
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

I'm torn between 6000 and 5000..
No idea which K I should go for haha!
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

Call the retrofit source and ask them what they think, They are real cool guys and will offer you their opinion based on what you are looking for.
Old 09-21-2010
Premium Member

get 5000k lol its brighter and pure white. 6000k may be lil too blue.
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

Actually I am wrong I did get the 5000k, I would go with that to stay close to legal.
Old 09-22-2010
Registered!!

Ok sick!
5000 it is
Thanks again guys! Helped so much!
Only thing is I can't do this until I get the $$ ..... Which will be a while cuz school robbed all my money :P
Either way it'll get done tho!
Old 10-09-2010
Registered!!

Hey again guys! Just reading this thread again and I looked over what Gearbox said.. You said that I'd have double high beams?? What do you mean?
And also, when adjusting the lights, is there a way to adjust them side to side? I know you can adjust them up and down but I can't find the screw (if there is one) that allows me to adjust them side to side.. Is there one???
Thanks guys
Old 10-09-2010
Premium Member

i think only sedans have left/right aim. usually this is not a problem. and also, the projector beams can face inwards a bit without causing any issues. i have mine both merging in the distance and it lights up everything. i actually like it better than when i had em separate. but i think they will be straight when you mount it to the reflector. usually the only aiming you need to do is up/down. you can rotate the projector itself from the back to get a flat line on the horizontal. since you have an 04-05, you have separate lo and hi beam reflector. with the mini h1 in the lo beam spot and the stock halogen hi beams, you will basically have both hid and halogen hi beams (2 hi beams per side, which will be a ton of light). the mini h1 is a bixenon, meaning it has an electrical solenoid inside that when activated will lower the cutoff shield inside, exposing the entire beam spread. the hid bulb stays in the same position, only the shields moves to let out more light. you can just tap the solenoid wires to the stock hi beam.

lo beam mini h1 (for normal driving)

hi beam mini h1 (you will have this hid hi beam AND your stock halogen hi beams)

also, there is a mini D2S if you prefer to use oem d2s bulbs and ballasts, which is more expensive. and the mini H1 has better performance.
Old 10-12-2010
Registered!!

So I'll have to hook up those hi beams? Cool.
Do those projectors come with the solenoid wires? And All I have to do is just hook up those wires to the hi beams? Wow. That's intense haha thanks!
Sorry, one more question, do all of the projectors on retrofit source (specifically the ones that you guys recommended) come with these solenoids?
Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,169 Likes on 813 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If they're labeled as bi-xenon, they do
Old 10-12-2010
Premium Member

yeah only bixenons have lo and hi beam in the same unit. and they all come with two wires, + and - for hooking up the hi beam. just tap it to your existing hi beam wires for the halogen. the solenoids use very little power. other bixenons are much larger than the mini h1 though, so its alot more work to fit them. check hidplanet.com forums for more info and comparisons.

Quick Reply: Projectors