I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Never seen this before...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StardustLily is an unknown quantity at this point
Never seen this before...

So a couple weeks ago, I turned on my lights at night and I noticed that the portion of my gauge cluster on the left side (on the water temp gauge and the lower left portion of the tachometer) was very very dim but everything else was bright. I called my Honda dealer and they told me it was probably a burnt out bulb or led or whatever it is that lights up the gauge cluster. However last night, for some reason (don't ask why, long story) I hit my dash on the left beside the gauge cluster and it all lit up perfectly again o.o Then after a few times of turning the lights on and off, the lower left portion went dim again, so going on past precedent, I tapped the dash again and it all lit up again...so I am very confused as to why this would be happening and what I can do to fix it properly. Thoughts anyone? Thank you.

P.S. It's a 2005

Last edited by StardustLily; 10-02-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2009
Registered!!

hb pickup is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Never seen this before...

If it's like my 96 the whole gauge cluster is electrically fed off a kinda flexible printed circuit board embedded in vinyl and when U screw a bulb in it's squished up against it's part of the circuit board to make contact. Where your malfuntioning bulb is contacting it might just be the circuit board or bulb is dirty causing poor contact or for some reason the bulb's not squishing up against the circuit board enough.
Old 10-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like corroded bulb terminal. those bulb sockets use metal prongs which can get rusty, i would try and remove the bulb sockets and clean all the contacts with alcohol. 01-05 civic uses hard circuit boards. 01-05 dx and 01-02 lx/ex all use regular bulbs. 03-05 lx/ex uses LED, so if you have the new led style then you will need to replace the whole cluster cause those do not come apart without breaking. and the leds are so small i doubt youd be able to solder new ones anyway.
Old 10-02-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

bad connection somewhere