I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Amplifier On and Off Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disflipkevc702 is an unknown quantity at this point
Amplifier On and Off Switch?

i have a sub system and i was wondering if anyone knows how to install a switch on the amplifier so that you can decide whether you want it on or off? Its really helpful if you just want to listen to your music without having the car running.
Old 03-09-2007
Registered!!

miklovo is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't get it. Why would you have to have your car on to listen to the stereo? Just turn your key to the 2nd click and everything should come on in your car. Maybe it's just your setup or I'm just an ameteur.

When you turn your key to the 2nd click doesn't your HU turn on?
Old 03-09-2007
Registered!!

PowerWheels86 is an unknown quantity at this point
you run a wire from your ACC wire to a switch and instead of connecting your amps wire to the stereo wire you connect it to the switch... you are pretty much just breaking the line with a switch in the middle... and it makes plenty of sense to me... i have my car set up that way... i don't like all the lights on in my dash when i'm listening to my radio at night.. i'll try drawing you a picture if you think you need it...
Old 03-09-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
stupid idea. the switch is going to create resistance in the signal wire. just turn the radio down or turn the bass down. what is with people wantin tons of switches in their cars?
Old 03-09-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough
ok do this. you need a relay and 2 prong toggle switch

pin 86 remote lead from radio
pin 85 to one side of small switch
pin 87 12 volt power does not have to be constant and does not have to go to battery. can be connected to the red or yellow wire from radio. fuse it
pin87a not used
pin 30 output to amp
ground second side of switch.

if you connect it like this it should work as long as switch is good.
Old 03-09-2007
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute
or just hook up a...well damn that wouldn't work...well, i'll throw it out there anyways...splice a 2 way switch (on/off) or toggle into the remote wire, ground one of the pins...not sure why u would want a toggle switch for an amp...ur gonna hear a phat *thump* when u switch it on...just my 1.2 cents..
Old 03-09-2007
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
use the deck to control it, most have gain control.
Old 03-09-2007
Registered!!

miklovo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PowerWheels86
you run a wire from your ACC wire to a switch and instead of connecting your amps wire to the stereo wire you connect it to the switch... you are pretty much just breaking the line with a switch in the middle... and it makes plenty of sense to me... i have my car set up that way... i don't like all the lights on in my dash when i'm listening to my radio at night.. i'll try drawing you a picture if you think you need it...
But what he's saying is that he wants to listen to the radio w/o the bass when the car is NOT running. I don't get why his car would have to be running to play the stereo, regardless if the dash lights are on or not, that isn't what his dilemma is....???
Old 03-09-2007

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
why do all that.. dont ur deck have an option to turn off the subs anyways?.. i mean i got a pioneer deck and it had the option to turn the subs on or off.... i use that all the time
Old 03-10-2007
Registered!!

i thought that if your amplifier is running with the car on accessory I, it will drain the battery and ur car won't start, that's why i want the amp off, its connected to my accessory wire, so when it turns on , the amp does
Old 03-10-2007
Registered!!

and so do i use the relay harness and wire that from the head unit accessory wire to the relay harness, to the relay , then to the switch? do i need a certain voltage? can i use a 3 prong switch?
Old 03-10-2007
Registered!!

sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point
i use the remote lead from my deck. i just go into my setup menu and shut off the sub and it shuts my amp off through the remote lead. i can see where your comming from if you want to turn it on and off in a hurry but i just think its easier to use your deck. what kind of deck you running?
Old 03-10-2007
Registered!!

i got a clarion head unit and its accessory output wire is fused with my amp remote wire, so it turns on whenever my head unit turns on
Old 03-14-2007
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
Not all decks have that option to turn off amp, I always have it that way too for in the summer I can put my music on and leave it on for a while with no amp running, better to flick a switch than having to change all kinds of settings. If you don't need the illumination part of your switch, just put the remote output from your deck to the power pin of the switch, and put the remote from the amp on the acc. pin on the switch, and leave the ground pin unused. if you want the switch illuminated, tap in your cigarette outlet + and put it on the power pin of your switch, put the amp remote wire to the acc. pin on the switch, and ground the ground pin. you can't just do it the first way and ground the ground pin, cause your remote from your deck will have the amp relay and the light in the switch for a load, and would probably be too much for what it can handle.
Old 03-14-2007
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Airheadsman2k3
ok do this. you need a relay and 2 prong toggle switch

pin 86 remote lead from radio
pin 85 to one side of small switch
pin 87 12 volt power does not have to be constant and does not have to go to battery. can be connected to the red or yellow wire from radio. fuse it
pin87a not used
pin 30 output to amp
ground second side of switch.

if you connect it like this it should work as long as switch is good.
dont need a relay
Originally Posted by _unclejuice
stupid idea. the switch is going to create resistance in the signal wire. just turn the radio down or turn the bass down. what is with people wantin tons of switches in their cars?
the switch doesn't have resistance, it's a simple open/close switch, its just a switch to make contact.

Last edited by 05reverb; 03-14-2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2007
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
YOOOO kevin its kc *****! lol i can do the switch for you. hit me up
Old 03-14-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
if you have access to ur fuse on ur amp, just take it out. simple.
Old 03-14-2007
Registered!!

thanks alot u guys , i'll ask more ques. if i need some more help, k thx