I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Have lightning Cap still NO bass!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicTypeR01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Have lightning Cap still NO bass!!

Ok, well i have a 2001 EX and i must say i love the car but hate the SMALL electrical system! I think we have the smallest battery EVER MADE!!!!lol anyways to try to compensate for this i put in a 1 Farad Lightning Cap. I am running under 500w through a Bandpass Box with 2 10" inside. The entire system is kenwood excelon and i had it in my old VW Jetta and it hit HARD!! now when i put it in this car all i seem to get is some MODERATE bass[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
I have checked:
-the grounds (the are all secure and great grounds)
-the size of the cable has even been increased to allow for easier current flow
-the settings on the Headunit have been tried in absolutely every postition to try to optimize performance.
-Lightning Cap (1 farad) has been installed

My question is would maybe getting a optima gel help this situation???
if i do get it i will have to relocate the battery to the trunk because of our small surroundings near our front area[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]

Also does the lightning cap have to be charged for more than say a 1/2 hour driving around or is it instantanous. I have heard both sides of the story.
Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated as i want to atleast have this system hitting as hard as it did when it was in the CRAPPY VW!!!

Thanks for all the help ahead of time!
Old 03-17-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
>> My question is would maybe getting a optima gel help this situation???

Maybe a little bit. The Yellow Top will help out on each bass hit.

>> if i do get it i will have to relocate the battery to the trunk because of our small surroundings near our front area

Not necessarily. I just bought the smallest size they sell and I'll be doing a DIY once it arrives. I measured the space that I have to work with and it seems like it will fit.

>> Also does the lightning cap have to be charged for more than say a 1/2 hour driving around or is it instantanous. I have heard both sides of the story.

Not instantanious, but not hours either. I'de say on the order of miliseconds.

Anyway, if you use up more power than you put back in then this might be why your system is crapping out on you. I would upgrade your alternator. That's the one thing that will give you more power for sure. A capacitor helps to keep the battery from being run-down quickly because of discharges due to bass hits. The Optima Yellow Top battery recovers quickly from huge power drains, but there are limits. Anyway, what you need is a bigger alternator. I'm thinking of upgrading mine as well. Maybe re-winding it myself will work? I feel another DIY coming along!

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Well now.. Ya might wanna check the gains on your amp bro..[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..a Cap won't make bass louder.. neither will a new battery...neither will a new alternator (well slightly due to less voltage drop).. where did you Ground your amps?
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

RockfordFosgateBwoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, whoa been a while since ive been here.... anyhow...

Are you sure you havent made a boneheaded mistake? like i dunno, possibly wiring the subs so they are in opposite phase?

RF Bwoy
Old 03-23-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
you sure u got all the settings on the amp right? sub control on the hu? i have a 1000watt and a 360watt rf amp in the car, and it runs pretty sick
Old 03-27-2002
Registered!!

SneakyPeak78 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are still having the problem, let me know. I can help.