I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Woohoo! Got 'em!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NeonNights is an unknown quantity at this point
Woohoo! Got 'em!

I just wanted to let you all know that I got my L7's today! I got the L7's and my BP-150.1 amp (that's powering four 10's temorarily until I get my L7's in...for 150wRMS, this amp pushes those four 10's really hard...2 MTX Thunder 3000's and 2 Boston Rally Series). My BP-1200.1 and my JVC KDLX-300 are supposed to come in tommorrow. They should be here by the time I get home from school. Here is a pic of my subs, one of my grills, and my still-being-built boxes.

Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
mmm...boxes look to be coming along well.
Old 03-14-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
you're gonna love em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do!!!!!!![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with 'em so far [Edit: I mean the boxes...I posted this at the same time as Hefe's post]. I don't know if you can tell or not, but the bottom box is sealed with Liquid Nails FlexTite, and the top one had just gotten the extra glue scraped out of the inside. I sealed the second box right after I took that pic. Right now, I have the lines for the openings drawn on the front panels. Tommorrow, I have to cut the holes, counter sink the screw holes, glue/screw the front panel on, and fill the screw holes with wood filler. Then, I'm hoping to get the wood filler, as well as the rest of the boxes, sanded really good. I'm hoping to paint them sometime Saturday...but I heard it's supposed to rain. A friend of mine told me I can use his garage, but he lives about a half hour away from me, and he said that there is one condition...and that is that I have to install an amp and subs in his Caddi...but it's never had an amp before, so I have to run new power wire and everything. I'm not going to his house if I don't have to! Oh, btw, that was the fastest response time I've ever seen, UncleB! Two minutes!
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

<< you're gonna love em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do!!!!!!![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
>>

Yeah, I can't wait to hear 'em. I've never heard two of 'em together! There was a guy in town one day, who had a Geo Metro with one S12L7, and it was so loud that I couldn't even hear my two Punch XLCs...and I was in my car! My XLCs hit around 120 dB or so, and I'm expecting these to hit somewhere in the 145-150 dB range. I may be wrong, but that sounds about right for two S12L7s. Anyway, I thought it would be cool to get one when I saw 'em for the first time in Crutchfield...but once I heard that single L7, I knew I had to have a couple! I think I'll have about the second loudest system in my town. I would say that I would have the loudest, but the guy who gets that honor managed to cram twelve 12" subs into an older-model Olds Cutlass. One thing about these subs...I knew the subs were big compared to normal 12's...but I noticed that in the pictures on Kicker.com in the products area, the magnets look fairly small. When I got my subs, though, I took one out of the box, looked at the magnet, and my jaw nearly hit the floor. I know there are bigger magnets out there, but I considered the ones on my XLCs to be pretty big. These magnets make the XLC magnets look like those little round ones that kids play with. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-15-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
I only need a biger amp........

but i can rattle my friends mirrors when he is 2 car lengths in front of me with my L7's

WOOO HOOOOOO
Old 03-15-2002
Registered!!

Hmm...that's cool! I haven't had a chance to find out if I can do that, or not. I went ahead and finished my boxes and installed everything. It's been rainy here, so I can't paint 'em right now. Between school, work, and rainy days, I won't have much of a chance to get these boxes painted. After I installed and adjusted everything, I decided to go riding around town to show off my new system...well, I got about a mile down the road and realized something was very wrong with my car. When I gave it gas, the engine bogged down and, if I gave it enough gas to kick in the passing gear, then the engine would rev up, but the car would slow down...weird. You see, my Sunbird has almost 138,000 miles on it, so it's prolly on it's last leg right now...but I'm hoping it's something easy to fix. I noticed I was completely out of trans fluid (a leak I didn't know about, btw...I'm not that irresponsible), so I added two quarts. My car still doesn't drive any better. It was dark out when I added it, though, so I didn't feel like checking it. I figured I would just try to drive it to see if that fixed the problem. Well...it didn't. So now, I think I either need to add more trans fluid, or I may need a new fuel filter. One thing I'm concerned about, though, is that I've been using gas that is 10% ethanol...and I'm thinking that I may have screwed something up, because the engine also seems to be heating up rather fast. In the time it took to drive the mile or so, before I realized my car was messed up, and the mile back...my engine got hot enough that I couldn't keep my hand on it for more than a couple of seconds...and what's really weird is that the temp guage registered a lower-than-normal temp. Oh well...hopefully the POS will die soon, and I can get my Civic early instead of having to wait until summer.
Old 03-15-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
for your car problems, SOunds like your tranny's downright fried and the heat transfer from the transmission is making your engine run hotter. the temp guage is the temp of your Coolant, not the engine itself.. In neutral does the engine run funny at all or just in gear?...
Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, I think the trans pretty much bit the dust. When the car is in park or neutral, the engine can be revved up, and it sounds/runs just fine. It's only when I put it in drive or reverse that it acts up. My car is actually working okay today. I've been driving it for about three hours with only one minor incident. I was driving through an intersection, and I noticed that my engine sort of bogged down, and the car started lurching a little bit. It only lasted about three seconds, and then it worked fine for the rest of the night. My stepdad told me that he thinks we are going to just go ahead and trade it in while it's working good. It's cool, because I may get my Civic earlier than I thought! Originally, I was told that I would have to pass all my classes this year, and I could get it this summer...but since my car's screwing up, and I have a job now, I need reliable transportation. I can't be using their vehicles all the time, so they are seriously considering letting me get my car early! On a side note, I just want to say that I'm thrilled with my new subs. They aren't even broken in yet, and they are sounding great. From the back, my car sounds like it's ready to fall apart but, inside the car, it sounds great! In fact, it literaly makes my eyes jiggle. I had to turn it down earlier today, because I couldn't see to drive! I've also noticed that I get a lot more attention from it. I had people in Taco Bell, which sits about thirty feet from the road, sitting there staring at me as I went by. I've noticed a lot of older people giving me some very dirty looks, but the younger people all stare with their mouths open as I go by. There was a girl, who is interested in me, in front of me at a stop light. I followed her to Burger King, and the first thing she said was "your system is awesome!". So, to make a long story short, I am extremely happy with my subs. Hopefully, I'll be able to enjoy my new equipment in a new car.