I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

is dynamat xtreme easy to work with?

Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
is dynamat xtreme easy to work with?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12655

is this stuff easy to work with? is it just peel and stick? i plan to apply this to my trunk and front doors only. a local audio shop quoted me $200 for just the labor. if its something that will just take my time, i rather diy

on our trunks, theirs few gapped areas on the lid...will i be ok to just lay a flat layer or is it best to fill in those little gaps then add a straight flat layer on the whole lid?

Last edited by D17thgen; 06-18-2006 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

free_refil will become famous soon enoughfree_refil will become famous soon enough
You'll need to cut each piece individually and apply it to where the gaps are. It is not peel and stick, unless you wanna end up with falling off within a few weeks! Get yourself a heat gun and a small roller to apply it. Also you will need a large bottle of denatured alcohol to pre-clean the area before you apply it. It's a lot of work but one of the most rewarding mod's you can do.
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
easy.

But I think the result is not day and night difference. Don't expect a Lexus deadening effect afterall.
Old 06-18-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
lexus is actually quite loud, at least the one i've heard. it mostly depends on the tires tho not the deadening.
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
It really just takes some time. Clean substrate - denatured alcohol is ideal. Heat gun is only important for butyl mats like DX if you are doing it in the cold, to make the mat more flexible and easier to handle. In warm weather you won't need it and you don't need it at all for adhesion as you do for old style asphalt mats.

Take your time and don't try to install pieces that are larger than you can handle easily. It is critical that there be no airspaces between the mat and the substrate. Use a roller or the handle of a screwdriver to press the mat into the surface and all curves and crevices.

To maximize noise reduction, adding a layer of 1/8" or 1/4" closed cell foam will make a major difference over damping mat alone. Doors are very transparent to traffic noise so you should realize a big reduction in overall noise if you fully treat the interiosr side of the exterior panel. Going a step further and sealing all access holes will help with noise and improve the performance of any door mounted speakers.

You might want to consider doing the interior side of the firewall at least down to the mounting bolts for the front seats. As you reduce the noise entering through the doors, engine noise will be more noticeable and this step will make a big difference there.

Changing tires may reduce tire noise, but it certainly will not have any impact on engine noise, traffic noise, wind noise or the sound quality of your system. All of these are issues to address and there is no silver bullet.
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
I just threw it on my trunk and it stuck..lol. But it was during the summer so it baked itself on.
Old 06-18-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
as much as i love to be lazy, doing that ^ wont help anyone. its just like you dont even have it on.
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

axion68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
as much as i love to be lazy, doing that ^ wont help anyone. its just like you dont even have it on.
I've worked with extreme a few times. A heat gun isn't necessary. Let the weather work with you. Since it is summer leave your car out in the sun for an hour then go back over it with a roller. It beats sitting around in your car with a heat gun. Not to mention damaging any tint when you do your rear deck.

Last edited by axion68; 06-18-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2006
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
It's easier than... say taking a dump when you're constipated....
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

Dominatorp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
It is really easy to do, just take your time.. Have my trunk and front doors done.. and the results are amazing
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

spudracer326 is an unknown quantity at this point
dynamat extreme is easy to work with but imo raammat and second skin are just as easy and work as well, but cost much less..if you havent bought it yet id take a look at the two aforementioned....my personal preferanc being raammat.....its easy to apply just clean the area(window cleaner works) and stickj it on then roll it flat...sealing both doors took me around 10-12 hours(60sq. ft.)...
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

marcuse will become famous soon enough
in no way what-so-ever is this a simple task. it takes days to do because to get this stuff to stick , a special tar must be used. it takes days to dry and days to cut. q panels and decks must be removed and put back together.

your best bet : let the 200 dollas leave your wallet and let someone do it professionally
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by marcuse
in no way what-so-ever is this a simple task. it takes days to do because to get this stuff to stick , a special tar must be used. it takes days to dry and days to cut. q panels and decks must be removed and put back together.

your best bet : let the 200 dollas leave your wallet and let someone do it professionally
days to cut? I dont know about you, but when a car comes into my bay to get dynamat installed it takes about 2 hours at the most
Old 06-22-2006
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
agreed. I did it so quickly that I had time to poke the Misses......twice
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Rufus
agreed. I did it so quickly that I had time to poke the Misses......twice
haha, cant argue with that