I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

making hole for tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aonyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
making hole for tweeters

i just got my component speaker, and i'm wondering if i can put my tweeters on the front of my civic 2002 lx 4-DR. where should i put them ? and how do i make hole for the tweeters ? can anyone explain to me ?

Thank you...
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
goto honda. ask for SI.. or SE depending on usa/canada and get the replacement sail fins with pre molded tweter holes. mine cost 15cdn for the set.

they pop rght in and hold tweeers with very little moding. no dash cutting
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by paradoxblue
goto honda. ask for SI.. or SE depending on usa/canada and get the replacement sail fins with pre molded tweter holes. mine cost 15cdn for the set.

they pop rght in and hold tweeers with very little moding. no dash cutting
what tweeters did you install? cause my infinity's were a pain in the a** to figure out how to mount them in the oem tweeter sail panel, but after hours of figuring out and swearing and cutting and cutting and glueing, i finally got it. Turned out pretty good. but there is no way the stock tweeter will fit again and the infinity mount is there for good, no removing it, i can only remove the tweeter itself.

Last edited by 05reverb; 04-05-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

BrianJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Just cut a hole in front of the door handles. I just did it on my 4D the other day. they came out great! Actually it's the best place to get sound if you want good imaging. When you place them in the sails the distance between the woofer and the tweeter is too far apart, which makes your sound imaging pretty bad.
the
Just be sure to Square off the area between where the door meets the car and the edges of the door handle to center it correctly. If you get the Infinity Kappas, they swivel and rotate. After drilling the holes the install is real easy.
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

cut a whole huh? got pics. im in the process of deciding where to put mine lol.

u use a hole saw?
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

aonyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
what did u use to cut it ?
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

BrianJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I used a hole saw. I'm pretty sure it was 7/8". But that is the size that was specified for the Infinity Kappas. If you are installing a different type of tweeter the size of the hole to cut might be different. Check your Manufactur's specs before sawing away.

As far as placement...DON'T PUT THEM IN THE 'A' PILLARS! You can't really aim the sound well enough. To be honest the best place to put them is in the door, right in front of the door handle (the area closest to dash). It gives you the ability to aim the tweeter towards your ear with the best distance ratios on each side of the car. You could do those Kick Panel forms, but I've been hearing mixed reviews about them and you have to give up your dead pedal, as well as bend The metal on your hood latch to make them fit properly. NOT SO FUN IF YOU ASK ME. Be sure to DYNAMAT TOO, IT'S AMAZING!
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 05reverb
what tweeters did you install? cause my infinity's were a pain in the a** to figure out how to mount them in the oem tweeter sail panel, but after hours of figuring out and swearing and cutting and cutting and glueing, i finally got it. Turned out pretty good. but there is no way the stock tweeter will fit again and the infinity mount is there for good, no removing it, i can only remove the tweeter itself.

What Infinitys did you put in?
I have a set of 605cs. They're the reference series, 6 1/2 component with tweeter.
How hard are these going to be to install??
And where did you put the cross over?
Old 04-07-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
just use a drill. Here's infinity reference on my sedan.

Old 04-07-2006
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
heres my kappa tweeter and no drilling required
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
I guess I'm a little confused.

On my LX I have tweeters - when I pop the int. door panes off to remove the 6.5" speaker, and pop out the plastic part with the stock tweeter mounted in it - can I simply pop my infinity tweeter back in there?
Not really sure what you're telling me to drill.... sorry :S
Old 04-07-2006
Big Member

patau13 will become famous soon enough
I had this same question about a year ago. The thought of drilling into the door panel ($100+ to replace) led me to install the tweeters in the stock kick panels. Supposedly the tweeters sound best if they are within 18 inches of the mids. My tweeters are aimable for what it's worth. I don't have pics at the moment. The tweets fit perfect. the install was super easy.
Old 04-07-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
oh if you already have tweeter mounts then yes some tweeters fit right in. others dont.
Old 04-08-2006
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Last time I checked sedans don't have stock tweeters in any trim.
You can get sail panels with tweeter pods for sedans from asia (I think Thailand?) but its near impossible to obtain in the US.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My tweeters are intalled in front of the door handles and angled towards the driver.
I have a drill bit set that had the perfect sized hole saw.
Old 04-08-2006
Registered!!

I don't know where you guys (gearbox & lowsky) got your mounts for the infinity's, but they are not the same as mine, thats why i had a hard time to install it, you guys have a mount that sticks out, mine is flush. thats why mine had to go in deeper, but i did alot of cutting and stuff to get it to hold and fit. here are some pics of the mounts and the location of my crossovers.

Originally Posted by Honda01
What Infinitys did you put in?
I have a set of 605cs. They're the reference series, 6 1/2 component with tweeter.
How hard are these going to be to install??
And where did you put the cross over?
i dont remember the model # of my infinity's, but they are reference too. to mount them, it all depends what mount you got with it, if you have one like gearbox and lowsky, than they seem to work pretty good, but if you have one like mine, let me know and i'll tell you how i did it. and i put the crossovers next to my feet on the panel.

Last edited by 05reverb; 04-08-2006 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-08-2006
Premium Member

that looks good. mine is just using the included surface mount. i put it on top of the panel basically.
Old 04-08-2006
Registered!!

uon snaping my door panel slightly during removal. im going to attempt to fiberglas kick panels into the bottom.

with me luck!!! garrg
Old 04-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
that looks good. mine is just using the included surface mount. i put it on top of the panel basically.
i didnt get a surface mount with mine
Old 04-09-2006
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
I have the tweeters from my JL Audio XRs in the stock tweeter location. All it took was some a little bit of work from the dremel and a little constructive thinking. Nothing hard. It's more personal preference on where you want them located. You're the one having to listen to them.
Old 04-21-2006
Registered!!

C-Mo is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2002 EX sedan, I bought a set of sails from Honda for $37 for the 01 coupe. I bonded the coupe and my sedans together and through a lot of sanding, priming, painting, and clear coating, I made my own set and put my tweeters in. I have Polk DB6500s.

Old 04-21-2006
Premium Member

oh! that looks alot better than stock.
Old 04-22-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
if you would like to emulate a large percentage of SQ competitors (including a huge number of people who attend world finals every year), I'd suggest A-pillar locations, firing more or less at each other across the dash.

to minimize reflections in our cars, it helps to install them above the dash hump. this puts them just above the first panel popper on each side.

with a little tweaking, these locations can sound absolutely amazing, even in our cars.

as far as physical constraints, theres plenty of space behind there to install a deep tweeter. approximately an inch to an inch and 1/8th for surface mount. and the install is just as easy as the sail, literally just a hole saw away from droping them in!
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

free_refil will become famous soon enoughfree_refil will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by C-Mo
I have a 2002 EX sedan, I bought a set of sails from Honda for $37 for the 01 coupe. I bonded the coupe and my sedans together and through a lot of sanding, priming, painting, and clear coating, I made my own set and put my tweeters in. I have Polk DB6500s.
I have those exact same speakers in my '05 EX Coupe. The car already came with speakers in that location, and I just unscrewed the stock tweeter and put the Polk tweeter in there and held them in with some ATV glue in the back. That way if I want I can push the tweeter back out and scrape away the glue and put the stock ones back in. However, I am not satisfied with this location. The tweeters are way too loud! I have to turn down the high's just to even out the sound. I also have a set of JL Audio 5 1/4" components that I might move to, although I have to build a custom plate to put them in the 6 1/2" location. The reason why I may move to them is because they have a switch on the crossover that turns the tweeter down 3dB in an install like ours. Think this is the wisest choice? They are not amped and I plan on amping them in the near future. They're running off a Pioneer AVIC-N2...
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

C-Mo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by free_refil
I have those exact same speakers in my '05 EX Coupe. The car already came with speakers in that location, and I just unscrewed the stock tweeter and put the Polk tweeter in there and held them in with some ATV glue in the back. That way if I want I can push the tweeter back out and scrape away the glue and put the stock ones back in. However, I am not satisfied with this location. The tweeters are way too loud! I have to turn down the high's just to even out the sound. I also have a set of JL Audio 5 1/4" components that I might move to, although I have to build a custom plate to put them in the 6 1/2" location. The reason why I may move to them is because they have a switch on the crossover that turns the tweeter down 3dB in an install like ours. Think this is the wisest choice? They are not amped and I plan on amping them in the near future. They're running off a Pioneer AVIC-N2...
I'd say go with whatever speakers you like. I enjoy mine a lot, I had to use the deck to drop the highs down a little and used some of the settings on the amp to get rid of the obnoxious highs. It took me about 15 minutes to tweek my sytem to get it the way I like it. Now, I love my new Kicker amp!!! Please check out my system and let me know what you think!

Last edited by C-Mo; 04-23-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

blk04civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know the Honda Part number for the Sail fins or Sail Panels?
Old 05-06-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by blk04civiclx
Anyone know the Honda Part number for the Sail fins or Sail Panels?
no clue. but itll take you three minutes to find out:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...L5MT&catcgry5=

or you can talk to the dealership, and they will find out in about three minutes. including the time it takes to order a pair for you!
Old 05-12-2006
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BrianJ
As far as placement...DON'T PUT THEM IN THE 'A' PILLARS! You can't really aim the sound well enough. To be honest the best place to put them is in the door, right in front of the door handle (the area closest to dash). It gives you the ability to aim the tweeter towards your ear with the best distance ratios on each side of the car. You could do those Kick Panel forms, but I've been hearing mixed reviews about them and you have to give up your dead pedal, as well as bend The metal on your hood latch to make them fit properly. NOT SO FUN IF YOU ASK ME. Be sure to DYNAMAT TOO, IT'S AMAZING!
Umm I have kicks AND a-pillar tweets, which due to being alum work better off-axis, and I bet you'd **** yourself listening to my stereo. Yes, I did give up the dead pedal and the hood latch. When I sell the car, a new kickpanel piece AND deadpedal are under $40 anyway...

Then again, I do have this in the dash.

Last edited by Rufus; 05-12-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Rufus
Umm I have kicks AND a-pillar tweets, which due to being alum work better off-axis, and I bet you'd **** yourself listening to my stereo. Yes, I did give up the dead pedal and the hood latch. When I sell the car, a new kickpanel piece AND deadpedal are under $40 anyway...

Then again, I do have this in the dash.
best sounding car I ever sat in had large format tweeters halfway up the a-pillars.

couldnt be the best ever though. He only took 2nd place in his division at world finals iasca SQ.
Old 05-12-2006
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
On axis or not, it will definitely bring your soundstage up.
Old 01-23-2009
Registered!!

sacapuntas is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: making hole for tweeters

Originally Posted by BrianJ
Just cut a hole in front of the door handles. I just did it on my 4D the other day. they came out great! Actually it's the best place to get sound if you want good imaging. When you place them in the sails the distance between the woofer and the tweeter is too far apart, which makes your sound imaging pretty bad.
the
Just be sure to Square off the area between where the door meets the car and the edges of the door handle to center it correctly. If you get the Infinity Kappas, they swivel and rotate. After drilling the holes the install is real easy.
Do you have pictures?

Quick Reply: making hole for tweeters