I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Help installing receiver (WITH PICS) PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
Angry Help installing receiver (WITH PICS) PLEASE

ok i bought a nice affordable reciver at best buy for 79 with mail in rebate 10$
http://www.dualav.com/product_indivi...?main=2&id=461
and now im having trouble placing the reciver in the dash. when i put the reciver in there arent any screw aligned to tighten and if i dont put any wont it shack when i drive . and theres a sleeve that suppost to be on it and it fits in the dash kit i got from best buy but that sleeve dosent have any holes to place the screws

i need the sleeve on becuase if i dont put it on it slides out of the dash it i bought
in the sleeve theres tabs that the manaul says to bend but what for? i think it says to bedn if anyone really wants to be helpful take a look at the manual frpom the site which is exactly same manual
Adobe File
http://www.dualav.com/i/product/manu...%202-16-05.pdf
the silver thing is the tab there is one on each side for some reason

And also it has iplug but the plug goes in the back where all the wiring goes how am i suppost to use that iplug

PLease help me my car has a giant whole in the dash lol i feel bad for it and im getting mad becuase i cant get this thing done
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

italy273 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sometimes the holes don't line up such as your case. You can use those little metal tabs on the sleeve to secure the HU to the sleeve. All you do is grap a screwdriver and bend the metal tabs down.

For the Iplyg you have to grab another cable and plug it in and run the wire to where you want it to go, like to the glove-box or the center console.
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
ok so the sleeve goes on the the radio..it locks.....you need a dash kit that metal sleeve goes in...like this http://www.scosche.com/scosche_carau...ItemID=HA1567B
so basically, you take the metal sleeve and insert it into the dash kit...then you bend the tabs so the sleeve is secure and there is no movement...now insert the radio and your done
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
how do i bend the metal tabs?....down?they only go left to right and when i do bend them they either block the recivr from coming in the dash or the tabs go no where bending the tab makes no sense
Old 02-27-2006
How many pots have you smoken?
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
you bend them inwards.

they wont block the radio from going in...the radio will push against them..then when its far enough back they will catch the radio and you wont be able to pull it back out without the key (or something long and paper flat)
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

i got the kit from http://www.metraonline.com/product_listing.php

they have 2 extra peices that go on the side what are they for other kits donthave them
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

ok ok..first take the sleeve and insert it into the dash kit(which you should have bought..i included a link earlier so you can see what it looks like )..next i touched up some of you photos..the blues ones do not bend they secure the sleeve to the radio...the red ones are the little tabs that you bend...use a screwdriver so you dont f up you fingers

Old 02-27-2006
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
grab a drill. grab a bit about the same size as the holes.

drill your own holes on the sleve that would allow it to work.
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by manahoonie
grab a drill. grab a bit about the same size as the holes.

drill your own holes on the sleve that would allow it to work.
$

not a good idea.......1/4 inch can make the difference between a $79 radio and a $79 plastic box
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

post a pic of your dash kit..that would help alot
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

thanks fr the help one sides sticking out now and i frucked up my fingers blood spots O_O well im still doing the reciver and sleeve ill update in 5-10min
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

thise are the extr two peices the rest is the same as the other kits

Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

ok ..this might sound silly...but did you read the instructions that came with the dash kit. it will tell you to rip off certain tabs which are usually labeled on the back in of course very small letters...if so....rip them off but the right ones...then you should be able to slide the metal sleeve in
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

those silly black clips were for the stock radio to make sure it dosent fall out but the raceiver i have now fits in fine without the clips but i stil cant get the radio to get some screws in its in fine but if i hit a bump it might jump around
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jerseydetailer
ok ok..first take the sleeve and insert it into the dash kit(which you should have bought..i included a link earlier so you can see what it looks like )..next i touched up some of you photos..the blues ones do not bend they secure the sleeve to the radio...the red ones are the little tabs that you bend...use a screwdriver so you dont f up you fingers

folding the little ones wont help much and they wll scratch up my entire reciver O_O i dont want that
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

you dont need screws or those black clips....slide the bracket in, bend those tabs in red..that will secure the sleeve to the dashkit...then slide in the radio into the dash kit....but word of advice do this with dashkit out because you still have to connect the wires, harnesses, and antenna
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

and the tabs are meant to secure the radio...so the bend away from the reciever and towards the dash kit..so from the inside bend the bottom ones down, the top ones up..the left ones left and the right one right..hope this helps
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

well the recivers in perfect....lol not really i used the extra black things from the dash kit to snuggle into the side of the reciver to make sure it ddosent move rto much...but now....UGH theres this plug that dosent fit.....

Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

thats the stock wiring harness. You have to buy a aftermarket Wiring Harness. Then you have to get the wiring harness that came with the radio and the wiring harness you bought and splice the wires, they should be colored coded to match but it's always good to double check. Then connect the two harness and plug it into the HU and the Stock harness and that should be everything. Then put everything back.
Old 02-27-2006
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
1) you don't use the sleeve

2) insert the unit into the cage so the holes line up and screw it down

really straight forward
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

Here is the Wiring Harness that you should have gotten. You can get it at Best Buy oo any other audio store.
Here is the link to the wiring harness http://www.crutchfield.com/S-js6tJ4Z...00&I=120701721

Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by boxcarracer
folding the little ones wont help much and they wll scratch up my entire reciver O_O i dont want that

how do u know if u have never done it?

A) it wont matter cause if it scratches its on the metal on the sides, u will never see it

B) those little clips do do alot....they hold the reciever from poping back out.
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by italy273
Here is the Wiring Harness that you should have gotten. You can get it at Best Buy oo any other audio store.
Here is the link to the wiring harness http://www.crutchfield.com/S-js6tJ4Z...00&I=120701721

yea i got that damn now i gotta wire and solder
Old 02-27-2006
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
you probably shouldnt be doing this yourself if you didnt know that the wire harness wasnt going to be the same. you have to get the harness pictured above and make the connections color for color with the harness included with your radio. Im not sure how you got the radio in the dash, but thats probably wrong too. the cage is for a DIN mount option and the black tabs are for ISO mount options, you can use either. DIN will be easier, honestly, all you do is lock the cage into the dash kit and slide the radio in, discard the optional ISO 'black tabs' you dont need them. trying to ghetto rig it is only gonna make it easier for someone to gank it out of your dash. Im familiar with the dash kit youre using, and the instructions included are pretty clear.
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

you can use butt connectors and wrap them in electrical tape. You can get butt connectors from http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
all you do is but the two wires in the hole and use a crimper to crimp the connectors. I like to wrap the connectors in electrical tape after the connection was made.
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

**** how i got it in aslong as it stays in no one can see it and stealing my radio and taking the dash out is so easy even if i do it right soit dosent matter all im trying to figure out is the last part....wireign whcih is prob the hardest part for me considering im a moron and the colors that i have dont match to well...i bought a honda/acura wire harness im going to take a look at the colors tommorow and get back to this when its warmerand light out but thanks for the help everyone

Last edited by boxcarracer; 02-27-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

keep in mind im not done yet im finishing this tommorow

Last edited by boxcarracer; 02-27-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

looks like the HU is pushed in, but you can always play with it.
Don't forget about the Rep.
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by italy273
looks like the HU is pushed in, but you can always play with it.
Don't forget about the Rep.
i did