I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

SQ: JL W3v2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006
OMNES AD UNUM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation SQ: JL W3v2 ?

i decided to change things up and go for an sound quality based set-up. i had my eye on the JL w3v2 because it fits my price range and down right reliable. ive heard w6's (which are higher models) in a honda accord trunk and they sounded very nice with trance/hip-hop music...something im looking for.

id like to hear if their are any downfalls or cons about a single 12" JL Audio W3v2 in a sealed enclosure (prefab ebay box most likely) that will be getting 400wrms @ 2ohm?

the amp ill be running it to: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16411

the jl: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12511

im open to some suggestions/recommendations for other subs.
Old 02-07-2006
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
This should be comparable to the JL for slightly less
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=15043
Also the
image dynamics IDQ
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSIDQ12D4V2

btw, I would go with the ID
Old 02-08-2006
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
ill let you in on a little secret.
theres a company out there called spl... sh!tty brand, owned by soundstream
regardless of that
they have a sub, the jws 10 and jws 12
which is basically nothing but a jl w6 clone
the only thing the w6 has on it is SLIGHTLY higher output, but at lower volumes, they sound absolutely identical

fun part: pricetag
10 goes for 40ish online
12 goes for 50ish online

theres been some people on other audio forums who have done double blind tests and havent been able to tell the difference
Old 02-08-2006
A03
Registered!!

A03 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a single 12w3v2 on a 250/1 in a sealed stealthbox enclosure, so what you are looking at doing is very similar to what I have.

It reproduces lows-med/lows well, but falls off on the very LOW notes, probably due to JL's enclosure design (small air space). It has a mild-medium punch, but other 12's I've heard can certainly punch harder. It's strongest attribute in my car is just how tight it is, and how flat the responce is. It carries solid notes and solid note freq. transitions VERY well. There isn't any noticeable freq band that comes across more powerfully than the rest.

Basically, with my experience concerning this sub - I'd reccommend it to someone who is looking for a sub that blends into the system very well and dissapears into the music. You can tune it my car to really hear the sub, but I like it blended, and it does a good job that way. Every note is on point, except for the very low lows found mostly in rap music.

You could go with a 12w6v2 in a sealed enclosure, but you'll also have to feed it a lot more power and spend quite a bit more. If you want your lows to really hammer, you might want to go with the w6v2 and lots of juice.

One example I can think of where the stealthbox 12w3v2 falls off is an older rap song from the artist "Trick Daddy" - Song - "I'm a Thug". The lowest drop in the bass line falls off hard with the stealthbox. I know that there is bass missing because it used to come across strong over my previous 12w6 (originals) in a previous vehicle.

You could run a larger enclosure to get more low end out of it, but I don't know how that will affect the rest of the responce.
Old 02-08-2006
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
A03, you might want to try stuffing your box with polyfill.
it simulates a larger enclosure, hence providing some lower frequency output.