I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

I got Sirius... need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
I got Sirius... need a little help

well i just got the sirius kit from circuit city. I have an alpine cda-9827 h/u. It says on there xm ready. does this mean that i cant hook up the sirius?
also wondering if anyone knows exactly how this thing works, there are no plugs or connections to hook up to the radio. does it just pick up the signal?
Old 12-25-2005
Registered!!

hessdawg is an unknown quantity at this point
you should have the sir-alp. all the new alpines say sat radio ready. but it should work on the older xm ready radios. antenna goes on the front of the dash, rear deck, or on the roof(best) tunner box need constant and ground and ai net cable to the radio. should work great
Old 12-25-2005
Registered!!

show0and2go is an unknown quantity at this point
oh, turn it to channel 88.1 and it should pick it up on the headunit, I actually just got one today for x-mas
Old 12-25-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
um alpine is xm ready only for the plug and play unit. otherwise you have to do fm modulation and treat it like any stock deck.
Old 12-25-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
civicrice what did you buy? a standalone tuner or the add-on tuner? the differnece is that the standalone one is controlled independantly from the HU and feeds the signal via fm modulator or aux input. The add-on tuner connects thru the ai-net bus and is controlled entirely from your HU.

from waht I can tell, the CDA-9827 IS capable of controlling the SIR-ALP1, why it does not say that on the unit I don't know.
Old 12-25-2005
Registered!!

i got this thing. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIU...oductDetail.do

Hooked it up in my dads truck. Pluged it into the cigg. lighter, and ran the antenna and it was working off of 88.1 fm. thats a stock radio. My car is up in jersey right now, ill be able to hook it up on tuesday. All im concered about is , will the alpine h/u pick up the radio from the 88.1 fm station.?
Old 12-25-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yup almost ANY radio will pick it up when using fm transmission. only thing you may need to do is set the frequency on the sirius if it lets you and then tune the radio to that. the goal is to find a station with least amount of static noise. dont forget to push the reset button if it has one on the fm thing.
Old 12-25-2005
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
That is the same unit I got, I love it. I use mine all the time now.
Old 12-25-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
you will need the alpine kca-121b to use it. dont worry, its cheap
Old 12-26-2005
Registered!!

that alpine kca-121b seems worthless.. not to sound like i know what im talking about but the satellite radio didnt come with any rca plugs or wires.
Old 12-26-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
does this one have a normal antenna plug on it? Or does it just have a transmitter that transmits to the radio. If it just has the later and it has a headphone jack on it get the kca121b and a minijack to rca cable at radio shack.
Old 12-26-2005
Premium Member

well the way fm modulation works there is a source unit that receives the sirius signal, then it broadcasts that signal (with some quality loss) over an fm band that your radio picks up like listening to radio. i think the only thing that needs to be hooked to the radio is the fm plug. you take out the fm plug in the stereo, plug it to the receiver, then plug the new fm connector back to the stereo.