I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Best way to install Sirius into '05 Civic EX w/ OEM 6 Disc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005CivicCPEXSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Best way to install Sirius into '05 Civic EX w/ OEM 6 Disc?

I apologize for starting a new thread, thought maybe I'd get more responses from an apropriate title.

I have the 2005 special edition 6 Disc OEM HU with the AUX jack in the front. I just bought the portable sirius sportser with the suction cup mount...what is the best way to install this for sound quality and to make the install look as clean as possible? I want to avoid any exposed wires if possible, and I will already have the dash apart to install other components. I have a friend who tells me to use an inline FM modulator, while reading on here it appears this causes some feedback of sorts. I've also read to use a PIE adapter or something similar. What the heck is that? Lastly, is it possible to hard wire the power to the 12 volt socket so I can still use it to charge my cell at the same time as listening to sirius? Thanks again everyone.

one other thing...has anyone found somewhere cool to mount it other than the dash?

Last edited by 2005CivicCPEXSE; 12-13-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
If that's the unit I think it is, there is an FM modulator already built in. Is it the ST1?

If you are looking for the best sound quality though, FM modulators are NOT the way to go, they sound heinous. Best way would be to run a wire from the unit into your aux jack.

Where did you buy your Sirius tuner and where are you from?
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

It is the SIR-STRC1. I bought it online, and recently moved to Virginia. I know it already has a modulator, but I was going to put an inline one behind my console that would block other signals and hopefully boosting the signal so it wouldn't sound too bad. I'd sacrifice a little (but not a lot) of sound quality so I wouldn't have to see that wire plugged into the front of my HU. Is there anything I can do to plug it into the back, or is that just wishful thinking? Any creative idea's as to where to mount it would be appreciated as well, I don't plan on taking it out of the car so it could be permanent.
Old 12-13-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
It will sound just as bad with an inline module, the one built in will be as good as any
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

Anyone know of a way to plug it in directly without having wires in the front?
Old 12-13-2005
Banned

no not unless you solder wires to your head unit and put an aux in in the back
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
if i were you, i'd take out the HU, openen it up, and solder the wires from the output of the sirrus receiver right to where the aux jack is inside the HU (so there would be no wires at all in front of the HU, just the wire going from the receiver to the back of the HU), but that's just me, i know alot of people would not be comfortable doing that, but if your installer wants to do it. Anyways, i never used a fm modulater, so can't really tell if it sounds that bad, but alot of people say it sounds like s**t. If your not too fussy about the quality of the music, I'd say you'd be fine with the modulater. If you want to solder in the HU, you could solder the wire inside the HUthen run it to the blank panels that is next to the lighter, then install a minijack there in the panel, so then you would just need a wire with 2 male ends to go from that minijack, to the one on your receiver.
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
Just so you know I've had people return the sportster replays because they are on recall, the screen short out or something.

Don't cut the power adapter and hardwire it in because, the inverter is built into the plug, it operates on 5volts. At BestBuy we install another power socket behind the dash, usually tapped off an ignition feed.

Is the factory radio SAT radio ready?
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by thefivespeeder
.....Don't cut the power adapter and hardwire it in because, the inverter is built into the plug, it operates on 5volts. At BestBuy we install another power socket behind the dash, usually tapped off an ignition feed.
i'm not talking about the power adapter, i'm talking about the minijack audio output on the sirius receiver (not sure how it's made, never saw the receiver, but should have one, right?). you could plug a minijack into the sirius receiver to send your audio to the back of the HU. Not sure what you mean, that the 5 volts is with the audio output? please explain more.
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

I'm almost positive it is not SAT ready. Looks like I'll be deciding between plugging it in to the front and an inline FM mod. Thanks everyone for your replies, just need to find a good place to mount it.
Old 12-13-2005
Banned

You're wasting time and money if you install an inline FM mod, just warning you.
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
You're wasting time and money if you install an inline FM mod, just warning you.
I have to disagree with that, with howard stern coming on soon I get to install about 8 sirus tuners a day, mostly the replays and the starmates.

Both of these units operate off of 12 volts, so its no problem cutting off the power adapter and hardwiring it, just make sure to fuse it. The xm units operate off of 5 volts so there the ones that need to be hardwired with a female cig. lighter.

The internal fm transmitter is garbage, the pigtail that's included does absolutly nothing and belongs in the The inline fm modulator that sirus sells does quite a good job on most cars, granted its not as good of a solution as using the minijack output on the back of the dock to connect to an aux in. Usually the XM FM direct modulators work a bit better than the sirus fm modulators, dont know why or how, but our bay was out of the sirus ones and we had to use an xm one.