I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

OEM HU Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryan_G19 is an unknown quantity at this point
OEM HU Options

I have an 01 ex coupe, with the OEM HU (single cd). I like the stock unit for appearance, but the sound output is disappointing. What options do I have, utilizing the stock HU, and improving sound? Thanks

Ryan
Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

Blackpearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Whell, the stock autio is a compromise of quality over the price. So you will not get to mouch out of it.
The OEM speakers in the car are with cartoon membrane. They are "junk".
I am not the one who like big amps and loud speakers (I preserving my ears for the ages to come), but I did replaced the rear speaker with some Pioneer ones. They sound different. I like to be able to distinguish the instruments what are playing.
I din't have time to do it for the front speakers yet.
This days, CD palyers can play MP3 too (most of them), and have a lot of features. One CD can hold 10 hour of music.....
Like in cars, there are variety of sound sistems from $ to $$$$. You can fell the difference between the higy end and the cheap ones. Go out to some audio store and chek them out.
Old 10-30-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Utelizing the stock HU, and improving or keeping the quality of the sound when going line out is sometimes a daunting task. One idea that comes to mind is to get a high quality line-out convertor to gain your outputs/inputs. SOme of those would be the AUdio Control LS6, JL Audio Cleansweep, Phoenix Gold makes one as well, but I'm not positive of the model number. These will usually give you pre-outs at least as good as an aftermarket hu, quality wise. The problem is, they're often as expensive, or more expensive than purchasing a new headunit, most with an MSRP around $300.

The easier option, while keeping the appearance stock, would be to buy a Nakamichi headunit. They look like stock headunits, but the quality is phenominal.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

aoar is an unknown quantity at this point
heres what i did.. www.6ave.com bought an mp3 hu for around 130.. then i replaced rears with alpine sps150a? forgot exact model number.. www.crutchfield.com says they didnt fit, but u could get around it.. i didin't use an amp .. although im sure they'd sound better with an amp, they still sound much better than the stocks.. just letting you know your not required to get an amp as most decks could provide 50w..
Old 10-30-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Nak is definitely badass, but I don't think they are typically what most people would consider an affordable HU

In your case, I would probably recommend the Phoenix Gold SLD44 (the unit that PopcornPlaya did not know the model number of). It is a new to the market level convertor that works very well. The sound quality should be very close to that of the Cleansweep or LC6, and in your situation, any difference that there is would probably be quite trivial. Your best option would be to pick up that device, which goes for $100 USD on eBay, and pick up a small 4 channel amplifier and replacement speakers all the way around. If you want a little more, get a 5 channel amp instead and buy a cheap sub. As for speakers I don't have much that I can recommend. Although I don't really like or recommend them, a lot of people seem to be happy with Alpine. Let your needs dictate what you buy more than your budget. If you want really good sound, but don't have the money now, don't buy your gear just yet. Either buy it piece by piece, save up, or take the hit and buy it all at once. Sell yourself short now and you will lose money by upgrading later.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
Nak is definitely badass, but I don't think they are typically what most people would consider an affordable HU
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/searc...aily=&pagenum=

found one for $75. found one for $125 shipped. add the $30 for the dash kit and wire harness.

its all too easy

I have to admit, I DO like the stock deck look.