I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Who has headrest LCDs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Who has headrest LCDs?

I am thinking of getting some, but there's still quite a bit of info I need to gather. I probably want to go with a prefab type thing where the monitor comes installed in a new headrest and it is more or less plug in play. So if anybody here has anything like that.... where did you get them? how much did you pay? how is the quality? how did you run the wire? how was the fitment/ease of install?

I've been looking around on eBay and I haven't found any that are covered in cloth, the only ones on there are Innovatek with leather...

Discuss!
Old 10-03-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
mega, I'll assume you're referring to the vizualogic monitors that come preinstalled. Don't buy those. They use their lowest quality monitor, and of all the sets I've installed, about 50% have come back wth LCD's crapping out on at least one monitor. I tell folks to stay away from them, but when they insist, they insist. Find one, like your NESA's for example) that come with the shroud (for the easiest installs) and open up your headrest, and install them yourself. It's not hard to run the wiring through the headrest post, as they're hollow. I, however, prefer something that's the monitor without a shroud (ICON sells this type) and you install the monitor (rebuilding the headrest in some cases) and then glue the headrest fabric back to the surround of the monitor. It looks much cleaner, and more factory than anything out there. More work, but is a much cleaner result.
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

GONENUKINFUTS is an unknown quantity at this point
i work in a car audio shop here in New York and we deal with Vizualogic and have probably done atleast 6 dozen pairs and ive never seen one come back with monitor problems .we have actuallt compared them to most monitors on the market and there damn close to Alpines tme-m760.so as far as the quality of the vizualogic monitors go i say there your best bet IMO
Old 10-03-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
If I could only have predicted the direct contrast in opinions on the same monitors , that's why asking on a forum is hard to do, when one person says they suck and now one person says they rule, what decision do I make? Not that those 2 comments will sway me one way or the other, just commenting on the situation

For what it's worth, the monitors were Innovatek, not Vizualogic, but I am sure they are very similar.

Ultimately I WOULD like to use a stock headrest and install an aftermarket monitor in them, however my coupe headrests have a big ol fat hole right in the middle, making a DIY headrest monitor install very difficult. Though lying in bed last night, I did come across the idea of getting sedan headrests since I believe they are solid all the way through. I think I could pull that off, it would take a lot of research on my behalf on how to do it properly, but I have the time to kill .

But as far as these Vizualogic things go, how much does a pair go for? Got any links? Up until now I don't think I've heard of this brand.
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

kickercivic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I will post pic of mine tonight..
Old 10-03-2005
Banned

I don't really care about pics, I want details.
Old 10-03-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
sedan headrests are solid and i also believe that all DX's are solid as well. no idea on the install ive never done it.
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
damn, i've always wanted headrest lcd's ... i can't with rsx leather.
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sweeteli99
damn, i've always wanted headrest lcd's ... i can't with rsx leather.
Ok, I'll trade seats with you, than you can get some headrest monitors, deal?
Old 10-03-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
If I could only have predicted the direct contrast in opinions on the same monitors , that's why asking on a forum is hard to do, when one person says they suck and now one person says they rule, what decision do I make? Not that those 2 comments will sway me one way or the other, just commenting on the situation

For what it's worth, the monitors were Innovatek, not Vizualogic, but I am sure they are very similar.

Ultimately I WOULD like to use a stock headrest and install an aftermarket monitor in them, however my coupe headrests have a big ol fat hole right in the middle, making a DIY headrest monitor install very difficult. Though lying in bed last night, I did come across the idea of getting sedan headrests since I believe they are solid all the way through. I think I could pull that off, it would take a lot of research on my behalf on how to do it properly, but I have the time to kill .

But as far as these Vizualogic things go, how much does a pair go for? Got any links? Up until now I don't think I've heard of this brand.

Another option would be to take the coupe headrests apart and add foam to them, then file them down to match the curves, and install monitors in the backside, then recover them with teh fabric, if you can find it. Still, I'd probably find someone with sedan headrests they'd be willing to trade, or you could purchase them from honda(or if you can find a wrecked car, they'd probably give them to you, or at least sell them cheap. odyssey vans fit and so do a few other honda vehicles, just find the right fabric). The pre-installed ones, regardless of brand, are going to have the bottom of the barrel monitor the company offers in them. With a system the caliber of yours, and the quality I'd think you demand, you'd be less than satisfied. If you can talk the company into swapping the monitors for one of their better lines of monitor, it'd be worth it to save you the time fabricating. Still, though, I like the satisfaction of installing my own stuff from scratch, which I'd guess you do as well.

Here's a vizualogic link: http://www.vizualogic.com/
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
Don't buy the pre assembled ones HUrtz, a kid at my school tried some innovatek ones and they're just not worth the money. And the entire assembly was pretty crappy.

Measurements:
1. Distance between spike thingys is a lil over 6.5 inches
2. The actual width of the center of the headrest is 10 inches exactly.
3. Length is 8.5 inches.
4. Maximum deepth is 4 inches.

FAQS: The foam is supported by a plastic frame attached to the metal spikes giving the headrest itself that specific shape.

Pointers:
1. You would have to remove some foam and replace entire wrap for the headrest.
2. Shroud would be drilled into the plastic frame (which is pretty sturdy) .
3. Wiring would run thru the hoolow spikes down into the bottom of the seat, under the carpet up into the console and plugged in basically.

NOTE: (You would need to remove the rear wrap of our seats (you guys know what im talking about) to run the wire alot cleaner without cutting the foam or wrap of the seats themselves)
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
Don't buy the pre assembled ones HUrtz, a kid at my school tried some innovatek ones and they're just not worth the money. And the entire assembly was pretty crappy.

Measurements:
1. Distance between spike thingys is a lil over 6.5 inches
2. The actual width of the center of the headrest is 10 inches exactly.
3. Length is 8.5 inches.
4. Maximum deepth is 4 inches.

FAQS: The foam is supported by a plastic frame attached to the metal spikes giving the headrest itself that specific shape.

Pointers:
1. You would have to remove some foam and tuck the extra wrap for the headrest under the shroud.
2. Shroud would be drilled into the plastic frame (which is pretty sturdy) .
3. Wiring would run thru the hoolow spikes down into the bottom of the seat, under the carpet up into the console and plugged in basically.

NOTE: (You would need to remove the rear wrap of our seats (you guys know what im talking about) to run the wire alot cleaner without cutting the foam or wrap of the seats themselves)

Wiring :
1. Install ur dvd player/tv/ps2 slim ready for connecting ur monitors.
2. Install and run wire in reverse as stated above. Leaving good amount of slack inside the headrest itself.
3. Remove ur headrest and install headrest best thing to do is to unzip the wrap with the zip inside the cutout of ur headrest.
4. Our headrest are fixed so mount monitors/shroud angeld upward for best viewing capabilities (just a lil angle so don't go crazy on it) . THink on this guys .

Wrapping:
1. Dunno much about headrest wrapping or any ideas right now but just put a beeanie bag in there for now until you can make some inserts.

Moving On: Making inserts:
1. Wrap some foam shaped larger than the cutout in the headrest to get that tight fit. Even tho ts ghetto it'll have use as reinforcement when u do get em professional wrapped by some one. Hopefully u know someone thats good with a sewing machine.

Can't think of anything else right now guys.

Last edited by blackdragon; 10-03-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

I got this monitors they are great..http://cgi.ebay.com/S-1024-UNIVERSAL...QQcmdZViewItem

I think the video quality is just awesome. I am running computer in my car and i just extended my screen so back just plays crap from media player and it really looks nice.
Old 10-03-2005
I survived that B*tch Katrina !!!

boombazokajoe91 is an unknown quantity at this point
man i want some headrest monitors also. i just put in my indash dvd player i still need to figure out how to make my system sound right now...
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kickercivic1
I will post pic of mine tonight..
TIME FOR YOUR PICTURES KICKERCIVIC

Old 10-03-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by kickercivic1
I got this monitors they are great..http://cgi.ebay.com/S-1024-UNIVERSAL...QQcmdZViewItem

I think the video quality is just awesome. I am running computer in my car and i just extended my screen so back just plays crap from media player and it really looks nice.
those are still leather though, I want cloth ones.... if I was to buy pre-assembled ones, I could deal with the fabric not being a perfect match as long as it was black cloth....
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

You get always get it refrabicated from the shop. I am going to take to this shop this week and see how much they charge.
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

My camera ran out of battery,but i got what i could.

Old 10-03-2005
Premium Member

kirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to behold
gotta have cloth
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kirks04ex
gotta have cloth
Read POST #17
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

[QUOTE=kickercivic1]My camera ran out of battery,but i got what i could.

Where are your sunvisors kicker and the carbon fiber kinda throws it off a lil along with the leather.
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

I am installing lilliput(VGA) monitors in the visors.
Old 10-03-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

The vizualogics, from the link I posted above, yes they have them for teh civic, are wrapped in OEM cloth.
Old 10-03-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

As for fabricating the foam piece for the opening. You can easily do this with minimal expansion expanding foam. I'd buy a roll of painters tape (it's easy release) and tape the opening closed (you could also use a piece of posterboard to make shaping easier). Cover the hole with the shiny side of the posterboard facing the opening (you could put some mold release addative on it). Tape it on there, and foam till you can't foam anymore. Once it hardens, remove the tape and posterboard, and use file, piece of medium (200 or so) grit sandpaper on a beanbag (so it'll follow the contours better) or even an emory file for fingernails and file it down to shape. From there, install teh monitor and recover with fabric.
Old 10-03-2005
Banned

Are the units listed for the 01-02 civic fine for the 04? Fit would be the same i imagine, but same materials?
Old 10-03-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

I'd imagine. Are the interiors the same? I haven't looked in one in a while, only the new 06's. My civic had leather. I'd imaging that the fabric would be the same though. And as far as the headrest posts lining up, I don't see why they wouldn't. Most of honda's headrest posts are the same.
Old 10-04-2005
Banned

how much are the ones for our vic anyway? i looked on crutchfield and the things were crazy *** expensive, like 1200 bucks for a pair
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

Ya there are going to be crazy price on them.. You might as well get cheap ones like mine and get then rewrapped... They just jack up prices because they are SO called custom made for your car,but they are just wrapped in the same material thats all.
Old 10-04-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

You can get the vizualogics on eBay for nothing. Couple of hundred bucks a pair. The packages in crutchfield, to my knowledge, also include a dvd player. Vizualogic should price them to you, just tell them you're a new dealer and were wanting to get pricing from them.
Old 10-04-2005
Banned

I can't find any vizualogics on ebay there was like 2 pair and there weren't the right ones and they were like 1500 USD for the pair

Quick Reply: Who has headrest LCDs?