I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Need Help with a product

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005
Abortion Survivor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Need Help with a product

Whats a good cheap capacitor?? I think i need one because my lights dim when i am driving with the system up and the dash lights go on and off. I just need a good one that isnt going to leave me broke
Old 06-21-2005
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Just get a 1 Fared cap, it aint going to be cheep. Its going to be about 99 bucks. But you shouldnt ever skimp here. Otherwise you might end up with a fryied amp. DONT BE CHEEP.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
The cap will help, but bottom line if your charging system cant handle the load (alternator) then your never gonna fix your problem 100% unless you get a higher output alternator.
Old 06-21-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
screw the cap, what you need is a battery

Exide 34XCD is a good buy

a cheap cap ain't going to fry your amp btw
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz

Oh yeah, that too!
Old 06-21-2005
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Just get it all! oh yeah! and a cheep cap can seen it happen. ie *caps store energy, some how car had a power spike, cap failed sent it to the amp, amp went POP and died. Still got the amp and cap to prove it
Old 06-21-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I doubt it was the result of a cheap cap

I have reason to beleive that most car audio caps are made in the smae factory, or a few different factories, therefore regardless of how "cheep" they are, are still the same internally as the next brand
Old 06-21-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
I have an optima yellow top and a 150 amp alternator but then i also changed the pulleys
Old 06-21-2005
Abortion Survivor

Originally Posted by TransformedBG
Just get a 1 Fared cap, it aint going to be cheep. Its going to be about 99 bucks. But you shouldnt ever skimp here. Otherwise you might end up with a fryied amp. DONT BE CHEEP.
I am not cheap i just don't have a lot of money 100 is what i was wanting to spend i thought they were more expensive like 250 or higher something like that where is a good place to buy one?
Old 06-24-2005
I'm taking over!

Big Rob has a little shameless behaviour in the past
There has already been a thread posted that scientifically proves that caps don't really do any good. One of the possible reasons is that you have different pulleys. The only solution that I can think of is to get a second battery and relocate it to the trunk. Cost is around what you wanted to spend anyway. Another optima yellow top would be the best choice. A transformer may help a little but I'm not sure if it would fix the problem.
Old 06-24-2005
Abortion Survivor

My friends cap does work, He has won the sound off competition three years in a row has one of the strongest systems all he has is a capacitor with stock battery and stock alternator and his lights dont dim at all, before they would dim like mine
Old 06-24-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz

yea really... seeing as how you can run directly to the amp also.
Old 06-24-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Michalo187
I am not cheap i just don't have a lot of money 100 is what i was wanting to spend i thought they were more expensive like 250 or higher something like that where is a good place to buy one?
don't got to bestbuy... $100 at bestbuy will get you a 1/2 farad cap.
Old 06-24-2005
Abortion Survivor

Yeah i never go to best buy my friend has an Audio store he said for 100 he cant get me exactly what i need
Old 06-24-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by TransformedBG
Just get it all! oh yeah! and a cheep cap can seen it happen. ie *caps store energy, some how car had a power spike, cap failed sent it to the amp, amp went POP and died. Still got the amp and cap to prove it
how can you blame the cap for that? caps arent for handling or preventing power surges
Old 06-24-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
1. Your friend's right, to an extent, but he's trying to fvck you over on the cap. $100 and he can't gurantee you that your dimming will stop. That's because a cap's not a guranteed fix. Do yourself a favor, and kick him in the *****.

2. Caps are never needed, but can help dimming problems. You seem like a logical person though. You also seem like you're trying to go by cost. If cost is the case, do the big 3 first. The wire will cost about $25-40 bucks(depending on where you shop). It'll guranteed effect the dimming. After that, upgrade the battery. You can get a standard sized deep cycle (such as the exide mega hurtz mentioned) for about $60 bucks. You've spent $100 and you'll notice a dramatic improvement in dimming, where as a cap might not even work at all. An optima isn't necessary as the exide compares, but is cheaper. If you insist though, optimas are great batteries. From here you have two choices, if you're still not satisfied, you can try a cap. 1 Farad per 1,000 watts is the rule of thumb. A 1 farad cap (i'd say stinger, lightning, any of them really) can be had for about $80 for a 1 farad pretty much anywhere. You can find them as low as $60 online. All the caps are the same, they're all made at one large factory in taiwan or somewhere like that. From there, if you're still not satisfied you can have your alternator rewound or replaced. Naturally rewinding is going to be cheaper, but not much. Go ahead and buy an aftermarket one. It'll cost you about $250.

Regardless, don't let your friend screw you on something you can buy cheaper. And no, you don't have to buy the special narrow honda battery, a standard size, group 74 fits just fine. I had an optima red top in my vic. Mega has an exide in his (unles he's changed it) several others have larger as well. Sure, you can't use teh plastic sleeve that covers the battery, but if you spend that much you might as well show it off anyway right?
Old 06-24-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
^Listen to that guy, and don't blame the cap for a power spike that the car's electrical system caused.