I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

proper size for one JL Audio 12W3V2

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rloyola0426 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question proper size for one JL Audio 12W3V2

I just bought a JL audio 12 inch W3V2. I am planning on building my own box for it and i was looking at the instruction manual included witht the sub and I noticed that the volume given for the enclosures do not match what the website says. The website says:
sealed enclosure range: 1.00-1.50 cu.ft. (28.3-42.0 liters)
ported enclosure range: 2.00-3.00 cu.ft. (57.0-85.0 liters)<-----------
The instruction manual gives:
sealed enclosure: 1.25 cu. ft (35.4 liters)
ported enclosure: 1.75 cu. ft (49.6 liters)<------------what the hell why is it not in the range stated above?
If I were to build the box at the maximum dimensions allowed (1.50 cu ft according to the JL website for a sealed box), how will that affect the bass? The volume for ported box given in the manual is not even within the indicated range for a ported box shown on the website. I know port dimensions are extrememly important as they can make or break the box so please give me dimensions for ports for the optimum size ported box. I listen to hip hop and rap so that is the type of bass that I will be listening to. I also do not know which type of box to build. Does a ported enclosure have a lower, deeper bass, or can that be achieved by builing a bigger sealed box. How does building a box at the maximum end of the range for recommend volume differ from a box built with the minimum recommended airspace? Should i go with the recommneded volume in the manual or the range in the website? I like the accuracy of the sealed box but I've noticed in stores most boxes are ported. Is that a more efficient design?
Sorry for all the questions but i really want to do things right the first time.
Old 05-21-2005
Registered!!

SlimmKidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow I have the same sub and I am selling my box cause I am getting another sub
Old 05-21-2005
Kung-Fu Kar Kare Master
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fergsonfire is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are going to build a box for a 12w3v2 it should be about 1 cubic foot. The newer JL subs are made to work in a smaller enclosure while still providing accurate sound reproduction throughout the range of the subwoofer. Also from numerous installs that I have done, I was previously a professional installer before I joined the navy, sitting around 1 cubic foot is almost perfect for the sub. Good luck with the install, have fun, be loud, give the cops a run for their money.
Old 05-21-2005
Kung-Fu Kar Kare Master

Oh yeah and as far as sealed and ported, if you are building it yourself id recommend sealed. Ported enclosure require a very large ammount of engineering to get sound reflection and attenuation, without making your sub lose power at certain frequencies. The reason why most stores sell ported enclosures is because they can make a crappy sub sound more powerful at a specific frequency, but if it is outside that frequency it sounds like crap. Go sealed if you enjoy having a sub box that doesnt rattle when it hits certain notes.
Old 05-21-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
not all ported boxes lose volume at certain freq's; for ex mine. but mine is enginneered by JL for the 2 W3v2s in it so of course they make sure its awesome. best ported enclosure ive ever heard. its the HO210RW3v2 and i have never heard 2 10's that loud, or a ported box that clear. such a nice package and not too too heavy as the 2 12's i almost got
Old 05-21-2005
Big Member

patau13 will become famous soon enough
I got one 12w3v2 in a 1cu ft sealed. It sounds pretty good. I wish it was a little louder but I am blaming my little amp for that. I get annoyed because it takes up so much trunk space so anything larger would be unacceptable for me right now. I am thinking about fiberglassing a custom enclosure that'll fit in the corner and be less obtrusive.
Old 05-21-2005
Kung-Fu Kar Kare Master

Yes all ported boxes lose sound at certain frequencies, even JL's famed HO boxes lose volume and sound mediation at specific frequencies. This is due to port engineering and resonant frequencies of sound waves bouncing around corners and what not. It is unavoidable, however, yes some companies have become very good at minimizing sound deviation.
Old 05-22-2005
Registered!!

rloyola0426 is an unknown quantity at this point
So does that mean that I should just build the maximum recommended size sealed box? It sounds to me that a ported box has more faults than it is worth so I may go with the sealed box. How would making the box the recommended size of 1.50 cu.ft. affect the bass? Would it make it deeper and louder?
Old 05-22-2005
Kung-Fu Kar Kare Master

The best way to build a sealed box for the 12w3v2 is to build it on the smaller end. That particular sub does not require a lot of air space to sound great. In fact staying towards the lower end gets you more response on all frequencies. Take this for example, bass is about reflection and volume(not loudness, but kinda like filling). The more you can fill your car with bass by reflection the better. If you get a box built and its not a custom fit, just a regular box, try moving it around in your trunk and then sitting down and listening to it. You will find that if you face your sub in different directions it will reflect sound waves in different waves and it will sound fuller in certain spots than other. Its very similar to the principle of staging for high range speakers, but reflecting the sound instead of finding a more direct path. Experiment with your sub to find the best spot. Each sub and amp power has a different "best location". Hope this helps ya out a bit. If ya need any other info ill be checking up on this post to make sure all of your dealings go smoothly.
Old 05-22-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
didnt read thru all the posts, but i would always go with what the manufactuer lists than the website. not all sellers are well organized.

but their is a possiblity that the website specs can offer optium performance out of the sub?
Old 05-22-2005
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
actually, the 12W3v2 performs best at 1.25-1.5 cubes. I had mine in 1.0, 1.35, and 1.25 (current size) and the 1.35 sounded the best. 1.0 won't be as loud, or as deep. I wouldnt go smaller than 1.25.