I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

hooking up 2 amps - fuse size

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack123 is an unknown quantity at this point
hooking up 2 amps - fuse size

I am going to be hooking up two amps soon. One for my component speakers in the front and a second one for my sub. I was just wondering
about fuses when I hook up the two amps.

I have a 100 amp fuse near the battery on the power line (came with amp kit). I currently have one amp hooked up to my front speakers. It is hooked up at 100 watts rms x 2 (4 ohms). I am going to add a second amp for my sub. It will be hooked up at most 250 watts RMS x 1 (4 ohms). When I hook up the second amp, I am just going to use the distribution block that came with the amp kit to take my 4 gauge power line and split it into two 8 guauge power lines for my two amps. I have two questions:

1) Do I need two fuses after the distribution block (one for each amp)? I wouldn't think so since the amps should have their own fuses and I already have one fuse near the battery.

2) Is my 100 amp fuse rated too high for my system? (i.e. should I be using a smaller fuse like 60a or 80 a?)
Old 04-04-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
1) It wouldn't be a bad idea.... is the distribution block a fused model? I hooked somebody up with a dual amp kit the other day and the distro block included was fused as well

2) I would use something smaller... add up the fuse ratings from your amps (ie if your amps have 40 amps of fusing each, use an 80a main fuse) and use that
Old 04-05-2005
Registered!!

thejdog is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a fused distro box too. But the thing is I don't know how much my amps fuses are, I don't see any on it. Their two PPI Pro's, one 4 channel and one 2 channel.
Old 04-05-2005
Registered!!

When I'm connecting my new amp and messing with the wiring on the distribution block, is there anything I should do to make sure my electrical equipment is safe (and I am safe) (besides shutting off the car)?

Should disconnect the power wire at the battery before adding the second amp?

Last edited by jack123; 04-06-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2005
Registered!!

"When I'm connecting my new amp and messing with the wiring on the distribution block, is there anything I should do to make sure my electrical equipment is safe (and I am safe) (besides shutting off the car)?

Should disconnect the power wire at the battery before adding the second amp?"

Any suggestions?