I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

custom sub enclosure on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
custom sub enclosure on ebay

Looks clean and well built.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6763
Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
looks good.............with a starting bid of $350.........i don't think so
Old 11-24-2004
I R T3H 1338

auto84 will become famous soon enoughauto84 will become famous soon enough
yeah, that wont sell.
Old 11-24-2004
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Lighter boxes make for quicker 0-60 times! (If you remove huge bulky sub boxes)
Old 11-24-2004
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
Its only 1 cubic foot. Might work for a 10. Kind of expensive though.
Old 11-24-2004
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
EXTREMELY expensive.... i wonder if it includes both sides though
Old 11-24-2004
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
It says passenger side doesn't it?
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

4Saris is an unknown quantity at this point
I sent him a question asking him to contact me with a lower price when he relists it because he has no bids. Here was his response.....

"Thank you for the quick response to my products. I will contact you when the labor and supplies cost drop to a more attractive level for such a high quality product. Thanks again for your show of responsiveness"

At most, my guess is that it cost $80 to build. What do you guys think?
Old 11-26-2004
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Too expensive!! Sounddomain used to sell a whole custom trunk for 2 10"s for about 2bills (you just had to glue and seal everything). I believe it had an amp rack as well.
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

LakelandCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 4Saris
I sent him a question asking him to contact me with a lower price when he relists it because he has no bids. Here was his response.....

"Thank you for the quick response to my products. I will contact you when the labor and supplies cost drop to a more attractive level for such a high quality product. Thanks again for your show of responsiveness"

At most, my guess is that it cost $80 to build. What do you guys think?

MDF 3/4" - 15.00
F/G Resin - 20.00
Catalyst or Hardener 5.00
Fiberglass - 20.00
Terminals and connectors 10.00
Carpet - 15.00
Screws and Misc - 10.00

That equals to about $95.00 for parts.......

Time to build would be approximately 6 hours from start to finish.

250.00 / 6 = Approximately $42.00 an hour....

He is well paid...... Or he thinks he is gonna be anyway.....
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

Corey291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Close on the estimates!

The actual prices to a few pennies of the supplies and labor are as follows:

Cost per an enclosure

-2 gallons High quality resin (not Lowe’s or Home Depot old gallon resin)…$35.00
-Fiberglass Mat (not Lowe’s or Home Depot thin square yard mat)… $35.00
-Gold Terminals…$6.95
-Mold wax…$.25
-Application brushes…$4.95
-Containers for mixing…$2.00
-Catalyst…$1.00
-Mixing sticks…Free!
-MDF…$4.00
-Rubberized undercoating…$10.00
-Dynamat…$25.00
-12 gauge wire…$2.00
-Hardened screws to mount speaker…$1.00
-Terminals for speaker…$.10
-Polly-fill… $.65
-Carpet for enclosure…$15.00
-Carpet glue…$4.95
-Roto-zip bit…$1.20
-Grinder disk…$3.95
-Rubber Gloves…$2.00
-Medical bills for mishaps…?
-Clothes destroyed by resin…?
-Trash Disposal…?
-One of a kind design (not able to purchase everywhere)…?
-Plug and mold cost…?
-Other fabrication supplies…?
-Tool purchase prices…?
-Tools wear and tear…?
-Safety equipment...?
-Box and packing for shipping...?
-Labor costs, building utilities, and rent (@ 6 Hours!)… $194.00
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

repeat

Last edited by Corey291; 11-26-2004 at 09:55 PM. Reason: insert twice
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

bzrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Huh, looks just like a jl stealthbox to me, not very original. Priced about the same too.
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

Yea, your right, it Looks exact the same. Look how the box smoothes into the trunk like... Oh! I'm sorry it does not!
It looks like a carpeted rounded corner cube with a dip in it.
check it out!
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/civic.html
Old 11-27-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bzrollin
Huh, looks just like a jl stealthbox to me, not very original. Priced about the same too.

Doesn't the JL Audio one include a sub though?
Old 11-27-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting! They're the same?!
Old 11-27-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I take it this corey guy is the one who builds and sells them, no? He thinks this is an original design, yet there are hundreds of members here who have identical enclosures. 1/4 inch of glass really isn't that much for an enclosure, it's actually kind of thin. As for his parts list, about 50% of the stuff on there is overpriced. We're not going to let other people get ripped off, as that enclosure will cost you about $150-$200 anywhere. He evidently thinks he commands a high labor cost. That or it takes him a long *** time to fabricate one of these.
Old 11-27-2004
Registered!!

bzrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
...As for his parts list, about 50% of the stuff on there is overpriced.....
i was thinking that too

As for the stealthbox, yes it does come with a sub (a w3v2). i think s.r.p. is around $500, but considering it comes with a $200 sub, it works out about the same.
Old 11-28-2004
Registered!!

Back in 2002 I thought that these boxes were a steal at $300.00 each and $495.00 for the pair. Some members also liked the enclosures for reason that they had an original design.
Some were not impressed about the price just like now.
Check it out:
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...fer+enclosures
Old 11-28-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
That's not an original design. Everyone and their brother uses that space in our vehicle because it's easy to use, and takes away little from the trunk. The next most common place after that or just as common is a false floor.
Old 11-28-2004
Registered!!

I have looked through the pictures in this web site and can only find some fiberglass enclosures. Can you please show me some links to pictures on this web site set up the same as my enclosures?
Thank you
Old 11-28-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

I'm not browsing through the member's rides for you. I'll give you a link to member's rides, but I'm not doing it for you.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/memberrides/index.php
Old 11-28-2004
Registered!!

Hey popcorn playa you don’t have to look

I want any body to e-mail me, when they read this forum, and send me a link to their ride if they have a similar enclosure that fires to center of trunk from the side. Considering the enclosure is smoothed to the side of the trunk.

I don’t aim to make enemies; I just don’t like harsh criticism that does not include proof. Also I do not think that I invented the internet, I just took an idea and tested with multiple speaker locations to minimize cancellation of sound and increase trunk space with a little more than factory appearance.

I can be proven wrong just like everybody else if my facts can be contested with proven facts.
Old 11-28-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

I could search through there and find hundreds of them. Fact is I'm lazy. This is a civic forum. We've seen it done in our cars time and time again. Don't make claims that it's an original design because it's not. Any audio shop anywhere would use that space because it's really easy to keep trunk space and use. I'm not trying to be an *******, but don't say that something is original when it's not. If you'd have said that yours is omre convenient than making one yourself, that's fine. It would be less time consuming and easy for the average joe that wanted something somewhat custom in their car. Original no, easy to make yes, easier to buy this premade than make it yourself yes, cheaper no, but for the novice it's easier, and being as I assume you work in an audio shop, somewhat reliable.
Old 11-28-2004
Registered!!

The true test will be if somone buys your "Original Design". So far, no bites.
Old 11-28-2004
Registered!!

After three years of hobby and seven years of professional service, I no longer work in car audio. I am in school now to become a Mechanical Engineer.
I made the molds originally for my own car in 2001.
I have only sold four sets of enclosures since 2001. (I will not be heart broken if I never sell another enclosure)
The sale of these enclosures is only for the enjoyment of fiberglass fabrication and paying for new parts for my Civic.
So if anybody is interested in my design of an "extremely old and un-original idea" (by popular demand) contact me.
I will be more than willing to work with a buyer to come up with a deal. (Usually I am generous if more than one box is purchased elsewhere than through e-bay)

By the way,

Some of the first e-mail I received from fellow 7th Gen members was rude comments.

Why do those people think that sales associates would give good discounts to possible problem customers?

I have seen rude comments in forums since I have became a member of 7th Gen over one year ago. It makes me wonder if some people think that this web site is off limits for retailers. Some sales associates may be members that are retailers, others may be retailers turned members. I am of the ladder.
Old 11-28-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

In that case, upgrade your account to a vendor's account. We're not being rude, do you like people you know to get ripped off? I don't know about 95-98% of the people on here. Regardless, I have been on here since about 3 months after the site's launch. My username was different back then. I've seen people just like you come and go. I don't think anyone that's been here that long intentionally lets anyone get ripped off. Your prices are too high, and your idea was not the first one just like it. Want to sell these on here? Fine, but don't overprice them double what anyone would pay for them anywhere they went. Also, if they're 1/4 inch thick, just a suggestion here, but you may want to thicken them a bit. That's fine for kicks/mids, but a little thin for subs. Just my $0.02.
Old 11-28-2004
Tighter than a third eye after 1 week in prison.

Caucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the rough
someone should contact him to sell on here in the group buys. i'm sure hella people would buy from him if he lowered his price (about 1/2 the price).
Old 11-28-2004
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
Close on the estimates!

The actual prices to a few pennies of the supplies and labor are as follows:

Cost per an enclosure

-2 gallons High quality resin (not Lowe’s or Home Depot old gallon resin)…$35.00
*an enclosure like that shouldn't take 2 gallons to make
-Fiberglass Mat (not Lowe’s or Home Depot thin square yard mat)… $35.00
*and youre getting ripped off on matting
-Gold Terminals…$6.95
*should only cost you 2-3 dollars
-Mold wax…$.25
-Application brushes…$4.95
*15 walmart brushes? thats a whole lot of brushes for so little
-Containers for mixing…$2.00
*you cant re-use them?
-Catalyst…$1.00
*1 quart of mekp is 13 bucks or so, which is enough for like a billion gallons
-Mixing sticks…Free!
-MDF…$4.00
-Rubberized undercoating…$10.00
*3 cans?
-Dynamat…$25.00
*again, thats a lot
-12 gauge wire…$2.00
-Hardened screws to mount speaker…$1.00
-Terminals for speaker…$.10
-Polly-fill… $.65
-Carpet for enclosure…$15.00
*im paying 4 bucks a yard locally here, should be 4 bucks
-Carpet glue…$4.95
*1 whole can for that enclosure?
-Roto-zip bit…$1.20
*you break out a new one for each box?
-Grinder disk…$3.95
*again, see last
-Rubber Gloves…$2.00
*100 costs me about 10 bucks at the drug store... 20 gloves sounds like a lot
-Medical bills for mishaps…?
*not our fault
-Clothes destroyed by resin…?
*get a specific set of clothing for glassing
-Trash Disposal…?
*oh man, trash bags are SO expensive, or, just use the bgs you get at the grocery store
-One of a kind design (not able to purchase everywhere)…?
*jl audio
-Plug and mold cost…?
-Other fabrication supplies…?
-Tool purchase prices…?
-Tools wear and tear…?
-Safety equipment...?
-Box and packing for shipping...?
-Labor costs, building utilities, and rent (@ 6 Hours!)… $194.00

try using non-hardening modeling clay instead of the dynamat and rubberized undercoating, should save you about 20 bucks an enclosure, and has really really good deadening properties. a LOT of sq competitors use the stuff inside enclosures
also, youre either exagerrating on quantity of supply, or wasteful in your supply usage
Old 11-29-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Around here I could get that box made at a shop for about $300.....his prices arent *that* far off.

Quick Reply: custom sub enclosure on ebay