I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Stock speakers...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004
04 Black EX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cascino is an unknown quantity at this point
Stock speakers...!!!

I have an 04 civic coupe ex(6 speaker package, has tweeters up front) I was wondering if the stock speakers honda put in are extremely good, or if i changed them i would notice a hell of a difference. im not going for a system(subs, amp.) i was thinking, new rears and door speakers. what do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2004
Supertastic Member.

Dishwasher is an unknown quantity at this point
new component speakers and some new rears will definitely sound better than stock. Go to your local speaker store and find some speakers that you like the sound of and buy them. I'd also recommend getting an amp and a new head unit.
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

steak84ss will become famous soon enoughsteak84ss will become famous soon enough
Stock are NEVER GOOD!! I don't care if someone buys the top of the line Benz with Bose in it. I can make a better sounding setup. Stock speakers never have large enough magnets.
Old 10-27-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
1. I agree that the stock sound in the Civic is not very good
2. I do not entirely agree that changing only the stock speakers is a good idea
3. I do not agree that stock can never be "good"
4. I do agree that you could make a "better" system than stock for any car
5. I do not agree that it is merely magnet size that accounts for poor sound Q.

Basically, because I'm not aware of how the stocks are setup in these cars (because I never gave a rat's ***) and what all the factors are which would pertain here. For instance, what impedence are the mids, the tweets? Are there blockers? xovers? Etc. If you put the wrong impedence speakers in a stock location and didn't match impedence with the output amp or didn't have the right response to the xovers you could make nice speakers sound like ***. My advice to you, if you aren't going to change hU or at least add an amp, I would leave the stock speaks in there. 1. You could make it worse 2. you might not even notice a difference after spending a couple bills and wasting some time. 3. The stockers are designed to give you everything you need to enjoy the sound. Not well, but thats the idea. SO replacing them without adding speakers that can play fairly low with almost no power, might just play too high for you. Also, if you are going to be purchasing speakers that are on the cheaper side with low efficiency, they aren't going to do well with little power. By little power i mean the friggin 9 watts that the factory HU produces.

Now, because I love audio, my real advice is to grab some Dyns a couple mac amps and some IDMaxs. Because I anticipate you aren't looking to spend thousands . . .I'd say consider finding a relatively inexpensive hu, 2 channel amp and component speaker setup on the net and join us in our quest for pleasing sound.
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

steak84ss will become famous soon enoughsteak84ss will become famous soon enough
Are we gonna have to argue again?....LOL. I only give detail when needed. A basic question was asked so I gave a basic answer. You're right. Not all stock stereos are bad but I can't go long without messing with them. I LOVE aftermarket setups.
Old 10-27-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Steak84SS
Are we gonna have to argue again?....LOL. I only give detail when needed. A basic question was asked so I gave a basic answer. You're right. Not all stock stereos are bad but I can't go long without messing with them. I LOVE aftermarket setups.

Don't remember arguing with you at all. I'm just giving my opinion too. I love a/m systems too. Thats why I hate to see anyone come at kinda half assed. But I respect that money and time constraints prohibit everyone from putting amps, hus, speaks etc in. I'm just trying to give my opinion, doesn't mean I'm correct. Stock system with a/m speaks might sound A lot better to some, I'm just giving this dude the heads up that he may not be able to push some A/ms well enough with stock HU power.

BTW, your insight is welcomed here just as much as mine. Ambiguous issues such as cars, stereos, fitness, computers etc. need multiple opinions and various sources of information from which to draw on to form our own ideas.

Last edited by J187; 10-27-2004 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

Thats cool. I wasn't trying to start anything. I just hate stock stereos. I'm a firm believer in buying a head unit and then new speakers. You can build around the head unit easily and always add later on.
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
I was originally wanting to do just what you suggested, but I ended up with new fronts, a sub, and amp for the sub, and a new headunit

My main problem with the stock speakers were that they didn't have enough bass. Well, I got new speakers in the front that had awesome sounding mids and highs, but had even less bass than stock. So then I got the sub to produce the extra bass, and then I got the head unit so I'd have awesome control over everything.

I think that there may not be many speakers that will produce good bass unamped.
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
I didnt read all that was posted so some of this might have already been said... stock speakers are PAPER if you didn't know, or appear to be something cheap if they're not, I glanced at em, the best is amped speakers because a deck only puts out about 20ish rms on average.. get a good set that run 50-100rms and amp them at 50-100rms match them up and get a quality 4chan amp, they'll sound great stock wont even compair..
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
btw first step is replacing HU, a new head unit would even make stock speakers sound better, then replacing stock speakers and having a HU is another good step up, then the best setup is adding a 4chan amp to ur aftermarket speakers and also having the aftermarket HU
Old 10-28-2004

Originally Posted by shmik1
I didnt read all that was posted so some of this might have already been said... stock speakers are PAPER if you didn't know, or appear to be something cheap if they're not, I glanced at em, the best is amped speakers because a deck only puts out about 20ish rms on average.. get a good set that run 50-100rms and amp them at 50-100rms match them up and get a quality 4chan amp, they'll sound great stock wont even compair..
There is nothing wrong with Paper cones
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

brash is an unknown quantity at this point
To answer your question:

I think if you are just going to replace the speakers, don't waste your money.

I basically agree with J187 (including about paper cones).
Old 10-28-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
If all you are doing is replacing the speakers, don't bother. The OEM stereo in the EX is actually relatively well balanced, and by switching to aftermarket stuff you are going to lose a lot of bass and up your highs. If you really are intent on switching, I would leave your OEM rear speakers in, buy a decent set of component speakers for the front, with a new headunit and a 2 channel amplifier. You could have a complete front stage that has a decent upgrade from stock for about $650.
Old 10-28-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

BTW, the 04+ speakers in the EX coupe are upgraded from the 01-03, and actually sound better. They are no longer made from paper, and use neodymium magnets now.
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

LakelandCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the 05 EX Sedan and the stock speakers are very cheap, very light too. I have seen bigger magnets on a set of tweeters.....
Old 10-28-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

^^ thats because they are neodymium...its ultra eficient. THe same size normal magnet would be almost 4x the size.
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

85gp4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an 04 Civic VP and just installed a JVC 200w head unit, and a set of tweeters up front. I also have two 10's in an osobaric box, pushed by an Audiobahn 600w amp. I left the stock door and rear speakers because they are actually pretty good speakers for stock, and the hu pushes more than enough power for them. The stock speakers sound much better with the aftermarket hu, and personally I have no plans to replace them anytime soon.
Old 10-29-2004

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
Sound quality is all opinion...

That said - the stock system is of very low power, using lower quality components. It might not sound "bad" left intact, but the replacement of any one piece starts revealing limitations. Keep in mind the system as a whole is only as good as the cheapest component.
Old 10-29-2004

Keep in mind also that the stock setup was designed as a system and not as 6 speakers and a HU. That said, you have to realize that each individual stock item does its job to create the best possible sound given the limitations. If you start mix and matching stock and a/m, you might open up a can of worms. The stock **** dosn't jive well with A/M ****.
Old 10-29-2004

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
no - b/c aftermarket is of superior quality. We can compare systems if you want.
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

Atticus is an unknown quantity at this point
the stock speakers in my 04 lx sound a lot better than the 6x8 pioneers i had in my ranger before the bitch in the porche hit me doing 67 in a 50....

now i drive a civic, with a good stock system i think...
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

ohiojosh78 can only hope to improve
i had a pheonix gold 500.4 hooked up to the stock speakers and that helped out ALOT! sounded better than just hooking up new speakers to stock deck.
Old 10-30-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Originally Posted by coop
no - b/c aftermarket is of superior quality. We can compare systems if you want.
Compare all you want, the point is the OEM stuff is designed to play together to create the best sound possible with the available components in the car. If you start replacing without knowing what your doing it will sound worse. The only thing I would suggest changing is the HU. Replacing the speakers will usually result in LESS bass with sharp highs unless you have a sub, or a very good component set. (my front stage alone produces more bass than my friends car does, and he has a bazooka tube and Boston RX57's up front.)
Old 10-30-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Originally Posted by ohiojosh78
i had a pheonix gold 500.4 hooked up to the stock speakers and that helped out ALOT! sounded better than just hooking up new speakers to stock deck.
I agree! When I first got the car I ran a PPI PC250 to my front speakers for a couple months, and it sounded pretty good for what it was.
Old 11-20-2004
Got the broccoli in my back pocket

2k3kansasEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey look at the plus your stock set up is all pioneer
Old 11-30-2004
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mystic3030
Compare all you want, the point is the OEM stuff is designed to play together to create the best sound possible with the available components in the car. If you start replacing without knowing what your doing it will sound worse. The only thing I would suggest changing is the HU. Replacing the speakers will usually result in LESS bass with sharp highs unless you have a sub, or a very good component set. (my front stage alone produces more bass than my friends car does, and he has a bazooka tube and Boston RX57's up front.)
I am considering an upgrade myself. I have a 01 LX Sedan. The stock system is a cassete deck. From what I have gathered, the stock systems are not too bad as is. The speakers are supposed to be half decent too, although I question whether the front speakers are that good. Which of the following options would make the most sense.

1.) Add Honda OEM CD player, install in space provided. Leave all other OEM intact.

2.) Replace cassete deck with after market CD deck/receiver.

3.) Replace front speakers, leave stock rear speakers, in combination with 1. or 2.
Old 12-01-2004

Option 1 would probably have the least impact on the stock sound b/c it's a Honda component. Once you introduce an aftermarket higher powered deck the limitations of the stock system will become apparent and then the sweater thread has been pulled......
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Atticus
the stock speakers in my 04 lx sound a lot better than the 6x8 pioneers i had in my ranger ..
IMO most aftermarket speakers are intended to be amped. I know most Pioneer speakers I have come across don't come alive until amped. When I installed some cheap Walmart 6x8 Pioneer 3-way speakers I thought they were blown being powered off the HU. They crackled and popped really quick off the HU. Then I installed an amp and it was night and day better. They started thumpin and actually sounded quite good.
Old 12-01-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ohiojosh78
^^^^^^^^^I agree

If you chage the head unit the sound will be much better. Keep the stock speakers change the head and put a small sub. I forget which head unit one of my buds has but He has the same car with the six speaker and he changed the head unit his sound is much more crisp and loud than mine(Also ex coupe).
Old 12-01-2004

Keep in mind that the stock speakers don't have very high power handling capability - which means if amped too high they might blow......if I recall the front stocks aren't much more than 15 watt or so....

Quick Reply: Stock speakers...!!!