I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Post your Time Correction Settings (alpine HU users)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amer786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post your Time Correction Settings (alpine HU users)

Just curious as to what settings people have used in setting up Time C9orrection in the Civics. It was strange, I thought the rear right speaker would be the furthest from my listening position, but as it turns out the front right speaker is the furthest away from the listening position, I guess because of the angle.

My settings are:

LF: .8 ms
RF: 0 ms
LR:
RR: .8ms

Please post the settings you have the most luck with, i am experimenting. My ears suck, I really have a hard time determining the center stage.

Thanks guys !
Old 08-18-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
If you measure and use Alpine's iPersonalize website, it'll give you the settings. I have no rear speakers, so I only have a .8 (I think) delay on my drivers side speakers.
Old 08-18-2004

Amer786 is an unknown quantity at this point
and how does that work for you. I am just having issues with the rears. I used the Alpine site and put the numbers in for the rears, but I think it can be improved. I know for the front, to have proper sound stage, the sound should appear to come from the middle of the dash. How do you know that the rear sound stage is set correctly? Should it be that I am getting the effect of no vocals coming from the year, is that how you tell that the rears are set properly? For me, to set the fronts, I faded all the way to front and set the sound stage. I faded to rear for the rear. That is whetre I am having issues, should the sound be centeres right behind me? For the front it works cuz the right speaker is your baseline so it is set to 0, but for the rears how would you achieve this, as both speakers would need to be adjusted
Old 08-19-2004
Registered!!

meth is an unknown quantity at this point
well, i got the Alpine IVA-D300 and these are wut i use for time correction.......

FR: .8
FL: 1.8
RL: .1
RR: 0
Old 08-19-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Well first off all I wouldent fade, because then you cant properly adjust the soundstage. All your speakers are going to play together, so when you are adjusting stage you need to listen to all of them at once.

Second, a proper soundstage has NO rear speakers, unless you are going for a surround sound system, so I dont think there is any "right way" to get your rears to sound. Just whatever sounds good to you I guess.
Old 08-19-2004
I am your Mom's Hero!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

KnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really nice
I was checking out this function on my deck today...unfortunately I have an EQ so I dont think I can use it!! Or Can I?? Anyone??
Old 08-19-2004
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Is a feature where you can set the distances of your different speakers from your ears the same as time correction or the same idea as time correction?
Old 08-19-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
I wouldnt copy anyones settings here, very very small factors will affect imaging in your specific car, things like the trueness of your baffles, contents of your underdash (like if you have an alarm, or a big foam pad) position of the steeringwheel (all the way up, or all the way down, or somewhere else), position of the seats (farther back will help depth at the cost of width)

all these could potentially affect the position of the center image in your car. go search out the iasca tracks online, look for track 16 or 17, its a track with seven snare drums disperesed evenly across the stage, from far left to far right. makes a quick job of determining the location of your center, as well as if you have *too* much time correction going on
Old 08-20-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

knocturnaltkr: yes you can
MegaHurtz: yes it is
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
Does time correction actually work for our car? I would say no...
With time correction, I have the singer standing on top of my stick, which is very uncomfortable to listen to.....
Rear speaker does help a little.....
But I would say, play with phase instead of playing with computer, especially if you have components in front....

I played the 7 drums before, with TC, it's imposstible to obtain correct image.....
If I switch the midbass driver, center is good(near perfect), but you can find that the left side has more mid and low then the right side has more highs....
It doesn't happen to any of my friend's car.....
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

My friend in Canada driving a 99 Si(US EX), and he places his speakers in kick panel, he says that both of the seats can hear a nice stage, with the center image on top of the dash board, at the exact center....

Back to my car, I can hardly detect the driver's side speaker when I am the ONLY PERSON sitting on the passenger seat....I discuss with him and he says my installation has problem, but what is the problem? There shouldn't be any problem like this.....Well, no idea....
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
I have my tweeters in the a-pillars so keep that in mind. I use time delay on my system and its not too bad. The thing it works best for is to bring the subwoofer up front by delaying the front stage. I also use it to delay the tweets to make the mids appear at ear level.

Keep in mind time delay only works for one person in the car. For a proper image you need to play with speaker angles and stuff. Thats my next step.
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 82801BA
Does time correction actually work for our car? I would say no...
*shrug* works in my car
Old 09-09-2004
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
With a good set of kicks you won't need rear speakers
Old 09-10-2004
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, before dealing with time delay ditch the rear speakers heck if they are 5s or 6s pull them and put them in kicks in the front and use the door speakers for midbass if they are good enough.

If you want to keep the rears you will have to use HEAVY time dealy to pull them to the front. I think I use something like 5ms yes 5 not .5 for my tweeters to bring my bass up front. I'm still kind of a newbie myself but I know this setting works to bring the subs so they sound like they are comming from the front. I also have my mids at about 3. I totaly play it buy ear and use the drums off the iasca disk for left to right balance. And I just listen to music and use the bass focus thingy to increase the delay of both the tweeters at the same time to raise the mids.

Then I drive around and tweek it over several months

One thing I found is that my car sounds better if I overlap the frequencies of the tweets and mids. I think this works because when they are playing the same frequency your ears are tricked into thinking the frequencies are coming from the same location.

But take my advice. Ditch the rears if you want better sound. Before my system was tuned at all my friends would complain about no sound in the back. Now they think it sounds great back there. Heck because they are so far back the staging is better for them than me (though the stage is a bit narrower.)

Enough blabbering. Time for you to go disconnect your rears
Old 09-10-2004
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Excellent call. I ran Diamond M6's off of the rear fill from my HEX 6.5's in the kicks. Nowdays I have a perfectly good set of Diamonds sitting back there doing nothing. I really suggest silk tweets in the kicks on axis and alum tweets in the a pillars off axis.
Old 09-10-2004
Registered!!

don't you worry about your highs imaging?
Old 09-11-2004
Premium Member

The silks work great on axis, but if you put the alum on axis they're way too bright. Better off axis and down a few dB's. It really helped bring the front stage up.
Old 09-12-2004
Registered!!

Aluminum should be placed cross-fired due to the relatively good off-axis characteristics....but still, why use aluminum?
Old 09-12-2004
Registered!!

because a well built aluminum tweeter sounds better thana poorly built silk dome.

aluminum, silk, cloth, titanium, a T-shirt, carbon fiber, cobalt, solid gold, or jello. it doesnt matter what a tweeter is made out of. if it sounds good, it sounds good.
Old 09-12-2004
Premium Member

Exactly why my silks remain in the kicks. Its just the characteristic of the speaker.