I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

want a new system...suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
want a new system...suggestions

well, right now i have 2 audiobahn 10's in a sealed box. they are 600 max and 300 rms. i have a kenwood 600 watt max amp hooked up to it. so thats what im working with now. its ok, but not loud enough. either i want one good 12 or two 12's, with a decent amp. nothing too crazy or expensive. what do i get? and has anyone had any experience with alpines new type s speakers? the 12's
Old 08-15-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
put your 2 current subs in a bandpass box and/or keep your current box and get a bigger amp, like JL 500/1.
Old 08-15-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Yeah if you put them in a ported or bandpass box you will get a lot more out of them.

Alpine Type-S is pretty good stuff. My buddy just picked up a single 12 and he loves it
Old 08-15-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
You're not going to get a whole lot dB wise from changing boxes, you'll get different frequencies, but won't be much of a change in DB. There'e no perfect box, it's really woofer dependant on which will sound better with your sub. I don't know which line of Audiobahns you have, so it's hard to say which would, ideally, give you optimum performance for said sub. As far as changing subs, and staying within a relatively inexpensive budget, I could give several recommendations. It's hard to give a budget based suggestion without knowing the max dollar amount you'd want to spend. A good bang for your buck combo you could look into, which several people here have that I know of (can't remember usernames) is a pair of Adire Audio Shiva's (12's) mated to a JBL bp Power series amp. Both can be had relatively cheap, especially if you buy them through Ebay, and they perform well for the amount spent.
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
haha i just picked up a pair of shivas local for 125. built box about 1.9cu sealed each. due to budget constraints i'm only giving them 150W rms each, but they are amazing. louder than my IDMAX when i gave it 800W rms, and just as clean. i'm waiting till the whole system is done to post pics and reveal anymore of what is going into the new vehicle i can't wait, stuff should be arriving this week

i would say box makes a TON of difference. but i dislike how most ported and bandpass boxes sound. if you just buy a random box, it probably won't be a good improvement. box building takes research and planning, as well as proper construction and sealing.

a new amp won't make a massive difference in SPL either. small, maybe, but probably not worth the money spent.

i would try all the free/cheap stuff first. rearrange your box. point the subs a different direction (try rear facing if you aren't currently). move the box around in the trunk (6 inches from the lid works great). turn down or off the bass boost on your amp and HU, mess with the gains. if your subs are clipping, you might find they sound better when you actually lower these levels. doesn't particularly help with bass, but amping your front speakers can help your sound levels seem louder too. loud high sounds make my bass all the more enjoyable
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

StaticX is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude your answer is Atomic Acoustics. They are a small company because they are so damn expensive, BUT my buddie gets there stuff at dealer cost. has been for a couple years now. They have 12's call Atomic Apocalips and they are like 1000 watts rms. Crazy louD! they retail $367 a piece. friend gets them 60% off at dealer cost. Theres a earthquake amp out right now that retails for $999.95. He can pick one up for about 400 bucks.(dealer rate).IF anyone 7thgenowners is interested PM me. I got the hook up. Let me know
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
Originally Posted by civicrice
nothing too crazy or expensive. what do i get? and has anyone had any experience with alpines new type s speakers? the 12's
doesn't sound like he'd want stuff from a company that is so damn expensive. esp. since he is asking about alpine type s speakers.
Old 08-17-2004
Registered!!

civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
ttt.....