I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Keyless entry question

Old 07-03-2004
Roo
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roo is an unknown quantity at this point
Keyless entry question

I have a 2004 civic sedan "special edition" (Canada). This comes with power locks, but not keyless entry.

Checking with the dealers in my area it seems that I can buy the keyless unit + 2 remotes. This is part #08E60-S5D-300. Unfortunately this part is nearly $300.

Looking online, there are a number of places that sell Honda parts in the US. Seems most of them won't ship to Canada -- but using a friend who lives in the states can easily work around that.

The thing is that the part number in the states seems to be #08E60-S5D-100 .

Are these two parts going to be plug compatible?

I know I can score a simple keyless entry system from ebay for $30 -- but I'd like to have the real honda part & the honda remote if I can. Another option would be to get an aftermarket keyless system that will work with the OEM remote (which you can easily get on ebay).

So, three questions.

1) What is the difference between honda part #08E60-S5D-300 and #08E60-S5D-100
2) Can the OEM honda remote be use with any aftermarket keyless system
3) Anyone out there take their stock keyless system out of their car and want to sell it to me?

Roo
Old 07-03-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Yours didn't come with the keyless entry?

I bought a 2004 LX not that long ago (Canada) and I was under the impression that any model that came with power locks also included keyless entry, as I asked about this in anticipation of getting an alarm that would control the locks, I didn't want to pay extra for keyless, so I wanted power locks only and they said that wasn't possible....

Go back to your dealer and have a little talk with them
Old 07-04-2004
Roo
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
Yours didn't come with the keyless entry?

I bought a 2004 LX not that long ago (Canada) and I was under the impression that any model that came with power locks also included keyless entry, as I asked about this in anticipation of getting an alarm that would control the locks, I didn't want to pay extra for keyless, so I wanted power locks only and they said that wasn't possible....

Go back to your dealer and have a little talk with them
Dude, you're the one who should go have a little talk with your dealer. The sales guy snowed you.

Check out http://www.honda.ca/HondaEng/Models/...4/features.asp

And you'll see that under the SE column (that's SE for special edition) you get powerlocks, but no keyless entry. The SE is basically the DX + some useful basic upgrades like A/C.

Looking for more input from others here... I'm starting to think aftermarket is the way to go, maybe one of the RE4 kits from SPAL -- but it seems that I'd need some relays and stuff (starting to get in over my head). There is also a DIY kit from DEI that might be ok..

Roo
Old 07-04-2004
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Ah well I was wrong then... I do have an LX which comes with keyless entry so maybe I was confused, but nobody snows me... nobody
Old 07-04-2004
Roo
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
but nobody snows me... nobody
No offense intended in my comments.. The LX has some nice other features -- including keyless entry! I'm just cheap.

Roo
Old 07-04-2004
Banned

I could have sworn that they said the SE came with keyless entry, but I don't always have the best memory, but I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt

As for getting some keyless entry for yourself, if the parts that you need will be 300 bucks, I'd highly suggest getting an alarm installed with the keyless entry option, which should be under 300 bucks if you go for a cheaper alarm. Personally, I went with a 2 way model and I was able to get all the features I wanted for under 450. You will for sure be able to find one and get it installed with keyless for ~300 or less.
Old 07-04-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
the DX special edition comes with power door locks but no keyless entry but i bet there is a simple trick around it.

honda will often sell cars with the keyless entry unit but without the remotes. just buy some remotes and try to program them for the car.

btw, i can sell you my remotes for $35cad each shipped and i'll include programming instructions
Old 07-04-2004
Roo
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turboslug
the DX special edition comes with power door locks but no keyless entry but i bet there is a simple trick around it.

honda will often sell cars with the keyless entry unit but without the remotes. just buy some remotes and try to program them for the car.

btw, i can sell you my remotes for $35cad each shipped and i'll include programming instructions
I haven't taken the dash apart to see if the keyless module isn't present, but based on the fact that the dealership knows the part number I need -- and the website feature listing http://www.honda.ca/HondaEng/Models/...4/features.asp, I think it is unlikely that the module is 'just there' in my car. However, it is possible -- maybe I should take a look.

I'm pretty certain I can buy some remotes from ebay for way less than $35cad each -- now if you're offering to uninstall your keyless module (say by following the instructions here http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/02civkeyless.pdf in reverse) and sell me some remotes along with it.. well, that's a very different story.

I've got email out to some of the dealers (both US and Canada) to see if I can get more information on the part number difference (08E60-S5D-300 vs 08E60-S5D-100). Maybe something will show up.

Does anyone know of a Canadian 'discount' Honda parts store? I can only find US dealers online offering discount parts

Roo
Old 07-04-2004
Roo
Registered!!

Oh yeah, and programming instructions..

http://www.nanday.com/HondaRemote2.phtml

Just incase anyone finds this thread and is trying to figure out how to program their FOBs.

(cut & paste here incase the link goes away)

Honda Keyless Entry Programming

The following are instructions on how to program your remote transmitters for keyless entry. This document provides details for programming a 2000 Honda Civic remote. The same procedure should work for all of the following:

1998 - 2002 Honda Accord
1999 - 2004 Honda Civic
1997 - 2004 Honda CRV
2003 - 2004 Honda Element
1999 - 2004 Honda Odyssey

These instructions may also be valid for other years and models.
This procedure clears the transmitter codes and creates new ones, so you must program all remotes at the same time, even if one or more is already working.

Enter the car, and close all doors.

Each of the following steps must be completed within five seconds of completing the previous step. If you take longer or make a mistake, start the entire procedure over again.

Insert the key into the ignition, and hold one remote in your left hand. Whenever the instructions say to press the LOCK button, you should press the lock button on the remote for about a second and then release it.

Perform each of the following three steps in order, then repeat all three steps two more times, for a total of three times each:

1) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, marked II.
2) Press the LOCK button.
3) Turn the ignition switch to the ACCESSORY position, marked I.

Next, turn the ignition switch to the ON position (II) for a fourth time.

Press the LOCK button again. The door locks should now make a cycling sound, indicating that the system has entered Programming Mode.

Press the LOCK button one more time to program this remote. If you have other remotes to program, press the LOCK button on each one in turn. The door locks should make the cycling sound after you press LOCK on each remote. You may program up to three remotes, and they must all be programmed within ten seconds of each other.

Turn the ignition off and remove the key. The remotes are now programmed and may be tested.

If you've got a trunk/hatch release, hold the button for this function for a few seconds.
Old 07-05-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
if you think you can get cheap remotes elsewhere, go for it and give it a try...you dont have much to lose

i just know that a lot of the older hondas such as the 6th gen civics would often come with power door locks but no remotes. people were able to add keyless entry buy buying some remotes.

also, since you already have power doorlocks, you can probably just use an aftermarket alarm for adding keyless entry?
Old 07-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
buy my keyless entry $5 more shipping because you're so faaaah away

but if you want an alarm, i'd go aftermarket, since you'll end up with a better product for around the same cost
Old 07-05-2004
Roo
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DoubleDeuce2k2
buy my keyless entry $5 more shipping because you're so faaaah away

but if you want an alarm, i'd go aftermarket, since you'll end up with a better product for around the same cost
Sweet deal for someone else! I got super lucky today and scored a brand new one from a local dealer who had it sitting in stock and wanted to get rid of it. I got it for about 50% off, so I'm all set.

Thanks everyone who helped me out here (or tried). I hope others who have the same problem find some useful informatoin in this thread.

Roo

Last edited by Roo; 07-06-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-09-2004
Super Hoser

ok, so does the DX special edition already have the keyless entry system installed or did you have to buy the unit even though your car has power door locks?

you sure the dealer didnt **** you around by charging you an arm and a leg for a couple of remotes?
Old 07-09-2004
Roo
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turboslug
ok, so does the DX special edition already have the keyless entry system installed or did you have to buy the unit even though your car has power door locks?

you sure the dealer didnt **** you around by charging you an arm and a leg for a couple of remotes?
I did the install tonight. It was pretty much exactly as is described here http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/02civkeyless.pdf

So, since I did the install myself -- I'm certain that the keyless entry system wasn't installed before Since I got such a rocking deal from one of the dealerships in town, my total cost was lower than the aftermarket shops in town had quoted for a keyless install -- and I've got the real honda parts & remotes.

Roo
Old 05-22-2016
Registered!!

garigola is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Keyless entry question

will 2005 civic dx front doors 4 door (not key less entry) sedan fit my 2004 se with power locks. Really appr replyasap