I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

problem with sub and amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kalipnoi can only hope to improve
Unhappy problem with sub and amp

i have a alpine mrp-m350 amp and a alpine swr-1241 sub and every time i turn it up a little bit they cut out. when it cuts out if i turn off the HU and then back on as soon as i turn it off, it starts working again but shuts off at the same point. this is my first set up so i don't really know if that is normal or what? do i need a bigger guage kit? right now the guage is at 300w. also, this all happened when it started getting hot outside. but it still does it in the middle of the night when it is cold as hell. is my amp or sub fried? thanks
Old 05-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
check the amp when it shuts off, is the amp hot?

always check wiring again. check settings on the amp, make sure you don't have bass boost and gain cranked to the point where you're overworking the amp, or clipping it bad

check settings on your HU. cranking bass on both amp and HU beyond what it can do can make it clip pretty quick
Old 05-25-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
ALso, check to see if your Amp is still getting power when it cuts out, and if it has Protect light, see if it's in protect mode, maybe your wired wrong and the amp can't handle that impedence load.
Old 05-25-2004
that little dude
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
could simply be the ground on the HU or amp. happened to me before, ground on amp was loose, kept shutting off at high volumes.
when you turn it up and it cuts off, if you turn the volume down, does it continue playing? or does it completely shut off when you turn it up, like go into protection mode?
Old 05-26-2004
Registered!!

the music keeps playing (even when i put the volume down) but the sub cuts out, so i turn it off and then back on. i haven't checked if it goes into protection mode. when the light turns red, right? it is wired at 2ohm, maybe i should bring it down to 4? i don't know what to do. i really just want to buy a bigger gauge kit to see what happens but if it doesn't work i'll be wasting money. its been working great since september. up until this past month or so its been a bitch to me. thanks. any more suggetions?????
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

bump
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
I have an M350 in my truck. It runs w/ the gain full on at 2 ohms w/o any problems. I have had it over a year now. I'd say you might have a loose connection. Double check all your connections. And yes, see if the protection light is coming on. That will help us diagnose the problem.
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

TeSt DrIvE is an unknown quantity at this point
I would think its a wiring issue, maybe u need to step up to 4awg wire, but someone correct me if im wrong, if it was a wiring issue would he not be popping fuses all the time?
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

i checked today at school, no light changed, it remained blue. i was thinking about getting a new guage wire i just don't wanna waste money. because if its the sub i can replace that, but not both sub and guage. i hear a low *pop* right when the sub cuts out. its pissing me off though. do you think the sub is too weak now? i bumped lil' john and the east side boys hella loud in my car for hella long about 1 1/2 months ago with no problems. now i can't even bump the black album...
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

gsxrkllr is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same amp with the same problem. My amp was cutting off because it wasnt getting enough power. Larger wire and a cap fixed the problem. Are you running any more amps? I'm also running a 4 cannel.
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

brash is an unknown quantity at this point
Before you spend money on anything, make sure your ground is (still) connected well.
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

Silver_JS5 is an unknown quantity at this point
before you spend any money...that's the alpine type-r sub...i believe that is the dvc...you might have the subwoofer itself wired incorrectly...if you have it wired in parrallel...i believe it would do what you are explaining....try wiring it in series instead...
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

^^^

Would his amp not go into protection mode if the load was wrong? Why would it cut out (im just asking) Also is the amp an MRP or MRD series?
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

^^^

If i'm understanding your question correctly...actually i don't understand the question at all....by his description, it sounds like what happened to me when i first installed the mrd-m500...the load was wrong so it went into the protection mode....so yes it would go into protection mode if the load was wrong...cause if he has it wired so the sub is trying to pull 1 ohm from a 2 ohm amp...it will cut out...and if this is what the amp looks like....the one that was stated in the first post...this is the mrp-m350.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mrp-m350.gif
Views:	91
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	30047  
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

^^

No worries, it just thought that it said in the post earlier that his amp has not gone into protection mode
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

Then maybe its the problem that would come up on the digital amps as E-3...Error 3 which is an overcurrent....which would still mean your trying to get something similar to 1 ohm out of a 2 ohm stable amp....i would just try rewiring the sub in series rather than parallel...that sounds like it would fix it...
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

oh yeah...to do that just follow the diagram below...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DVC_Series_1.gif
Views:	74
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	30050  
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

well, i'm just running one amp and one sub. its been the same set up since september and has always hit hard. i haven't even changed the gian or anything like that since i installed it since september. i'm also thinking i need a new ground wire and power wire because it might be sucking too much power like GSXR said earlier. i think that becasue when i was hitting it hard a while ago it hit so hard it blew my fuses on my neons, HU, and alarm. i think i'll start little by little, like getting a bigger ground, then if that doesn't work power, and so on and so on. thanks for the help guys, i'll try something tomorow. maybe stop by somewhere and get a 4g ground or something and post if anything changes. oh, i don't even remember how i wired my sub, but i don't think it was parallel
Old 05-28-2004
I am your Mom's Hero!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

KnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really nice
Check ebay and snag a stinger 4ga HPM wiring kit and a single farad capacitor and your good to go!!
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

kalipnoi....some of that info would have been good if said earlier....it's def a connection somewhere then...i would check behind your deck if i were you...or even the car fuse for the system...
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
For what its worth, I have 4 guage on mine.

For wire etc, you can't beat the price of the 4 guage wiring kit from Walmart. Its name brand (Scosche) and costs about $25, can't get any cheaper than that.

Honestly though, I still think its a loose connection somewhere.
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

i went over to a car audio shop around where i live and i had them swap out my sub for another just to test to see if it was a sub problem. when he hooked it up he played it and it cut out again. he said it might be the amp but i have to wait till this weekend so i can borrow my friends because i didn't want to be at the shop any longer. i don't know though, it seems like the guy was just guessing. damn, i'm pissed...