I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Removing factory cd player and installing amp.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mkil5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Removing factory cd player and installing amp.

I need to take out my cd player and i cannot figure it out. I dont have a instruction manual for my 2001 EX Civic Coupe, but I dont see how you'd just rip it out. But once i get it out i need to install an amp. How would i install the amp, I am assuming that since i would be installing to a factory cd player that i would not use the RCA jacks, so i would need to use the four wire one (I have a 200Watt MTX amp and i came with this little four wire thing that you plug into it to install with if you dont use RCA, i dont know what it is called)? And how do i use these and will there be a wire for the REM wire or where do i install it? I installed this in my old car, but it had an aftermarket CD player and was easily done, i just need to know how to get the deck out, how to use the four wire setup and where to put the REM wire.
thanks
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

matrix311 is on a distinguished road
well it took me a while to figure out how to get my cd player out as well. There is a good tutorial in the do it yourself section on the left DIY, or you can do a search for headunit removal or something like that, there are some good articles out there with pictures to show you which screws to take off and how to remove it. You'll figure it out!
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

so how do i wire the amp to the factory cd player?
thanks
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

Civicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Try this site.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...ar/videos.html
Old 05-07-2004
Registered!!

reyesvazquez is an unknown quantity at this point
to take ur stock stereo just pull were ur power outlet is out and unscrew the 2 little bolts,8mm size,and pull carefully ur deck out.for ur rem wire just connectec to the power outlet wire,the 4 little wires are called high level input...hope it help
Old 05-07-2004
Registered!!

audioefx3 is an unknown quantity at this point
if your gonna try a use the stock head unit with a amp(not recommended) just hook the rca adapter to the rear speaker wires then you dont have to remove the head unit. Then run your power wire(8 guage for your application) with a fuse(40 amp). Then grind some paint off of the spare tire well and ground there. run your wires to the amp then to the sub(check ohm load) then your done
Old 05-08-2004
Registered!!

audioefx3, so what do i do with the rem wire? and how does the 4 wire setup work with the speaker wires?
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
The rca line level converter will have 4 wires sometimes 5. Normally 2 white which goto the left rear + and -, 2 gray which goto the right rear + and - and sometimes a brown which is grounded if you get any noise. You remote wire can be run up under the dash and tied into your accessory wire so that you dont have to remove the deck. The wire can be found right under your steering wheel, pop that panel out with the 2 twists pops. you'll see a thick black bundle and that will have a white / red stripe wire in it. Thats the accessory wire in the car - hook your remote to that.
Old 05-10-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
You'll need a hi-level inverter (converts the speaker wire to rca's). There's a DIY to remove the stock unit, and the installation of amp to factory deck is covered a hundred times over on here. Search a lil' bit, I think there's one with pics somewhere.
Old 06-07-2004
Registered!!

OK, i think that i found the accessory wire that the remote wire from the amp goes to, i looked under the steering wheel and i found a thick (possibly 8 gauge or larger) red wire with a small white stripe down the side. is that it? it had something hooked up to it, i believe my car had an aftermarket alarm on it when i bought it, so could that be what it is from?
thanks
Old 06-07-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
should be a wire on the back of the cig lighter/accessory plug you can tap into for the remote turn on lead (remote wire). I don't know if I'd go tapping into an alarm system wire. I suppose you could tap into it, I just don't think I would. Plus, the cig lighter is much easier to access. Should be able to find which exact wire you need to tap into with a multi-meter (a cheap one from rad shack will work fine). Find the wire that's not a constant wire (ie make sure it comes on with ignition). There's your remote tap.
Old 06-08-2004

alex053 will become famous soon enough
i have pics in my ride section of my wifes hi level converter
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

maxxam25 is an unknown quantity at this point
what i did mine before is to just get a wire tapper and tap it on the speaker wires.