I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: making a false floor cover or matching wall trim piece

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
DIY: making a false floor cover or matching wall trim piece

This is pretty much a universal DIY, useful for emulating ANY surface, vertical or horizontal, 360 degrees around or just a corner, anything thats an odd shape impossible to measure.

it will work to make this:

and it will work to make this:

and it will work to make this:

we start with our demo trunk wall:

now we want to make a contour of this. its important to make the contour at the proper height. for this demo i just set it on the seat, but in a real false floor, often its higher up, and thus will need to be supported so it is at the correct height.

here are the tools we need to make a proper shape:

we have scrap wood, some cardboard, and a staplegun. we are ready to go!

first we place the wood in there in an appropriate position (like it matters):

now we take a piece of cardboard and align the short edge agasint the wall we are trying to emulate. we will staplegun it to the board to hold it in place:

now we simply start going around the circle, adding more cardboard till its all around. for complex sides, smaller pieces are neccesary. for long flat sides, bigger pieces can be used.

see how easy it is? we cna follow this all the way around till we have a PERFECT mold of our shape!

then we can simply remove the part, set it on our candidate baffle, and trace it out:

its always a little imperfect, so i like ot visually inspect the actual site and my tracing, and round out the edges that came out uneven:

and here we are now, with a perfect mold of our spare tire well, and are ready to cut out!

edit: fixing pic 9

Last edited by WhiteRabbit; 03-11-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2004
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
haaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

not laughing at the diy, just laughing at the beautiful usage of old chair for diy explanation
Old 03-10-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
Woot thanks for makin the DIy rabbit! i know u tried explaining it before, sry to make u go thru all that extra effort, we all appreciate it tho!
Old 03-11-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
i needed a contour, its the easiest i could find =D

i wish i could have found a more complex object! i figgured this would work for a diy though
Old 03-12-2004
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
^^ I'll stick with the contour.. those things sort of remind me of those things that you stick your hands in and it remembers the shape of your hand until that you turn it upside down..anybody know what I'm talking about?
Old 03-12-2004
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by LudlamTheory
haaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

not laughing at the diy, just laughing at the beautiful usage of old chair for diy explanation
Yes that chair is lovely.. I'd have to say that this has been the funniest thing I've seen all day.. haha but hey it works
Old 03-13-2004
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
this is getting me thinking...maybe I should do something special for my new subs

hmmmm
Old 03-14-2004
Registered!!

mos_skeeto is an unknown quantity at this point
2 questions, mainly about the first pic in this thread. I understand how to make the floor now but what would you recommend to prop the board up, since I would need more than the inch or two from the board to fit the amp. Also what is that glass material called?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Fiberglass mat or roving, and resin. Hardener. Bondo. Fleece. What material are you speaking of?
Old 03-14-2004
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
just as an option i use a Hot glue gun instead of a stapler
Old 03-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by mos_skeeto
but what would you recommend to prop the board up, since I would need more than the inch or two
id use hte box itself. take your finished box and throw it in the car, and prop your sacrificial scrap right on that. its right in position to conform to the wall at that position. cake!
Old 03-14-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
What would you recommend to use for suspending pieces in order to stretch fleece over? Dowels, scrap wood, square dowels, etc? I've been using 1X2 scrap, mainly cause I get them free from a friend, but was wondering what would be best to use. Or is it just one of those things that you use whatever works?