I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

anyone here got XM radio?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003
blingbling member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k1lxcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone here got XM radio?!?!

yo im thinking about getting XM radio next week i would like to know if anyone here has it and how good it works?...any sugestionS?
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

mudflap is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got it...the sound quality kills FM radio--and the selection of different types of music is awesome--you'll hear songs and music types on xm that you will not find anywhere else...you may never switch it off to go back to FM. not bad for $9.99/month.

i've got a head unit that has xm controls built in, i'm not well versed on the delphi system, but i hear it's just as good, plus you can move it between your car and house with the different consoles/antennas.
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

also...the only time it goes out on me is under large overpasses and tunnels--just make sure whoever mounts the antenna (whether it's you or a shop) puts it on the highest possible part of the car--not inside. circuit shitty mounted a friends delphi antenna inside the car and it cut out all the time--they had to reinstall the antenna outside for it to be usable...
Old 08-18-2003
blingbling member

im thinking about geting a sony explode XM ready and buy a reciever for Xm cuz im not gonna be using at home and dont like that little box from delphi....
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

i've got the sony cdx mp70--plays mp3's and xm...i think they sell for about $349 now. have no problems with it--though it seems lots of members don't like sony car products...i had to buy the xm receiver on ebay as none of the reputable stereo shops had them in stock, as well as best buy, circuit shitty and the like. you should be able to get the xm receiver for $200 or less, and there is a $75 mail in rebate until sept 30th direct from sony....
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
I have XM and I love it nothing beats the comedy channel. I just drove to vegas this weekend and it didn't cut out once and you need it on those long trips. I have an Alpine IVA-D900 7" monitor w/built in DVD and TUA-T020XM tuner.
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
i love XM, its definatly worth the 10.59 every month. squizz rocks
Old 08-18-2003
blingbling member

cool! i think ima really get it then....saturday ima take my car to the shop to install it....they gonna do 250 install allready...its a good deal right?
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

if u installed your own stereo equipment before, save the 250 and do it yourself. i posted a DIY in this forum on how to do it. its not that hard at all
Old 08-19-2003
blingbling member

im not good on installing stereos!.....i might as well take it to the shop and do it right!...
Old 08-21-2003
I can resist everything except temptation.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

I recently got xm, i have the alpine 7893 head unit and the TUA-T20XM receiver, along with a through glass antenna ( i think persoally the best way to go, i dont really like the idea of putting an antenna on the car it self, be it magnetic or not, seeing as how paint tends to fade and the paint would fade around the antenna, where underneath it would look brand new if you ever took it off) anyhow, i love it, many great channels, i purchased it becuase my girlfriend is going to college in boston which is a 10 hour drive for me, and i hate changing through stations in every state, and sometimes cds just get old you know, alota great channels for the money, many even comerical free, and the comedy channel 150, that is bangin, awesome.
Old 08-21-2003
Registered!!

do you have tint on the window that has the antenna installed on it?
Old 08-21-2003
I can resist everything except temptation.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by grenloch101056
do you have tint on the window that has the antenna installed on it?
No i dont currently have any tint on the window, im going to get the windows tinted soon. From what i read in the instructions it all depends on how dark the tint is or what type, the through glass model (which i had) wont work with any types of mirror or reflective tint, i just bought another on glass antenna though, (both of these by Terk) and it is is on glass not through glass, it goes on the back window and you run the wires underneath the molding around the window and down into the trunk then were ever from there, its smaller, by about half the size, so ill see how it works, it just came last night, so i should get it on this weekend, anyhow ill see how it works and post a follow up on that. My only concern is that the through glass antenna that i had ( the larger one) was a powered antenna, it transmitted power though the glass from the inside to the outside, so i dont know if it will effect reception having a non-powered antenna, but well see.....