I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

help deciding on subs

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chriscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
help deciding on subs

I need to get 2 12" subs for under $150 so right now im stuck between the alpine type e, Polk audio, The kenwood tornado, and the sony xplod. Right now im leanin towards the kenwood and alpine, but have not heard much about the polk audio. I have hear dbad things about the sony but this is the new ones with the pentagon shape. Help me decide please. BTW these are goin in a DIY custom trunk floor box in the DIY section. Also when buying an amp, is it good to stick with the same brand as the subs?

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

CIVICONBAGS is an unknown quantity at this point
personally you're really going to regret buying subs on a budget.. i say wait a little while longer and really buy what you want... i've learned my lesson... went from 2 mtx's to 3 10" audiobahns and now have 1 15" audiobahn... so save your money and buy what you really want .. you dont want to be like me and waste money into a system you probably are going to replace with better ones in the future... and imo audiobahns are the way to go =) ...
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

i don't want really serious bass, just enough to kinda feel it. not like competition or anything. Once i get the subs all im going to do is add a HU and maybe components. So b/w what i listed which is the best for sound quality, not loudness?

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-30-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
just done buy the sonys!!! they should stick to making Playstations, not subs. i say alpine or polk, just my $.02. as for amp you dont need to get the same brand, just one that will have enough juice to power them.
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

BlessedAggie is an unknown quantity at this point
save up and get one 10w7 ten lol
well i would say save up and at LEAST get the alpine type r's
never heard of e's
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

Thanks 18sec, i have a friend who had some old sony subs and they blew runnin the rms rating. I though the new ones might have been better. Since you have ruled out sony and kenwood. I think i am going to get the alpine b/c i plan on getting the alpine Hu and amp. i think it would be an affordable system with good sound.

(2) 12" type e's $149.95

(1) alpine Mrp-M250 amp $199.99

(1) 8-Gauge wiring kit $39.99

(1)Custom trunk floor sub box materials ~$50.00

Total $439.93

Do you think this is a good set-up.
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

Sorry for the double post
Old 06-30-2003
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by 18secQuaterMile
just done buy the sonys!!! they should stick to making Playstations, not subs. i say alpine or polk, just my $.02. as for amp you dont need to get the same brand, just one that will have enough juice to power them.
i disagree with that. our man chris is on a budget, and he;s not lookin for comp subs. i just got a SINGLE sony xplod XS-L121P5 12" sub, and it pounds. its a pentagonal shaped cone. i'm using the same amp as my old setup, and now my SINGLE 12" pounds the crap out of my previous DOUBLE 12" mtx's. i got the sony for 65 bucks shipped on ebay, brand new. so times two, thats no more than $140 - 145. lookit it this way...because of sony's bad rep with their previous subs, sony's prices are relatively cheaper. versus alpine or polks high priced high quality goods. with ~$150 bucks you can either get lower end alpine/polk subs or the high end sony subs. since these subs came out (fairly recently), most reviews i've read can't stop praising the sub. you have limited amount of money...be a smart shopper...
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
Maybe the Sony is simply just more efficient and the amp was too small for the MTX's ....

I find it hard to believe a single Sony would 'blow away' two 12" MTX's ..... doesn't make sense.
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by chriscivic
i don't want really serious bass, just enough to kinda feel it. not like competition or anything. Once i get the subs all im going to do is add a HU and maybe components.
Since you arent going into competition or wanting people from 2 blocks away to hear your system and you're on a budget, sony is a good way to save money. Personally, I think my sony sub is great. I have 1 12" aluminum cone 1200w (400w rms) sub in a bandpass box, and it hits pretty damn hard for 1 sub. Everyone who comes in my car always gives me props on how it hits. Sure, you cant hear it from 2 blocks away, but you DEFINETLY can "feel" it when you're in the car. Plus it was only like 80$ shipped.
Old 06-30-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Some ideas to check out (keep in mind that you can hear most of these low priced subs at BB, CC, Fry's etc):

New Infinity reference, Cerwin Vega Head, and Kicker comp VRs
Old 06-30-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
if you are going to be getting one of those subs you listed, you may want to try crutchfield (a lot of people dislike them, myself included) they may have some buy one get one free or buy one get one half off or something like that on them... they have promotions like that almost all the time, and i believe that they carry all three brands you named... just thought that may be helpful
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

tcostello3 is an unknown quantity at this point
just bought a friend 2 12" polk GNX series for $99 at Circuit City..That's right 2 for $99. They sound great!
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
id reccommend putting that $150 into a midlevel subwoofer rather than a pair of entry level woofers. youll notice a world if difference.

this setup cost less than $400:

and we didnt have to do any fiberglass either, we got the fiberglass shell off ebay for $40!
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

SMBFC is an unknown quantity at this point
I got 2 of these audiobahn's for $100
AW1251T
12” NATURAL SOUND WOOFER
45 oz. Strontium Magnet
Power Handling: 400 watts R.M.S.
Frequency Response: 24Hz - 1kHz
Efficiency: 92.1 dB
PHAT Foam Surround
Non- Pressed, Non-Transfer Paper Cone
KM3’ Coated for Virtually No Cone Distortion
2” 4-Layer ASV Voice Coil
Dual 4 Ohm
2 Ohm or 8 Ohm Operation
Mounting Dimensions: Depth; 5 1/4” Hole; 10 7/8” Diameter; 12 1/2”
Lug Lock Terminals

I could drive and pick some up for ya and ship em, or they are about the same price on ebay... and holy $hit do they hit! its the amp to power em that hurts the wallet!
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by reytito
i disagree with that. our man chris is on a budget, and he;s not lookin for comp subs. i just got a SINGLE sony xplod XS-L121P5 12" sub, and it pounds. its a pentagonal shaped cone. i'm using the same amp as my old setup, and now my SINGLE 12" pounds the crap out of my previous DOUBLE 12" mtx's. i got the sony for 65 bucks shipped on ebay, brand new. so times two, thats no more than $140 - 145. lookit it this way...because of sony's bad rep with their previous subs, sony's prices are relatively cheaper. versus alpine or polks high priced high quality goods. with ~$150 bucks you can either get lower end alpine/polk subs or the high end sony subs. since these subs came out (fairly recently), most reviews i've read can't stop praising the sub. you have limited amount of money...be a smart shopper...
See he knows what i am talkin about. Im only 15 and do not have a job. I save up money from helping my neighbors and small stuff like that, so i don't have alot to spend. I was planning on either getting my subs from crutchfield or circuit city. They are both priced about the same. Right now i am going to build my enclosure in the trunk, next moth i plan on getting two alpine type e's (maybes ave for the type s), and probably a month after that i will get my alpine amp. I think alpine would be good for me b/c of the low rms rating and a pretty cheap alpine amp to power them. I just want to hear it in my car not a block away.

Now i just need help on getting the wiring figured out. I have no idea. For now it is going to be on the stock HU, so i think i wlll run rca's all the way to the HU and put the line converter there so i can easily chang my HU, and plug my RCA'S in. I think i know how to wire the power and signal, but have no ideahow i should wire the subs.

The type e's are rated 50-200 watts rms a piece. i will have two.

The amp is mono and is 200x1 rms at 4 ohm and 350x1 rms at 2 ohm.

I have no idea how to wire to get te right ohms, but is it possible to get 2 ohm from 2 subs so i will have 175 rms to each?

Please explain this and a wiring dagram if possible

Thanks
Chris
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.eatel.net/~stentorian/elecdisc/impspkpr.gif

you wire them in parrallel for a 2 ohm load. youll want the 4 ohm SVC model subwoofer, if you have a choice
Old 07-01-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
this is my rule with car audio

DONT BUY ANY PRODUCTS THAT CAN BE FOUND AT BESTBUY (unless its a hu)
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

like the fanatic P componnt set, the pioneer top end best buy woofers, cd changers, wire kits, neon lights, alarm systems, dash kits wire harnesses, capacitors?

theres plenty of solid equipment to be had at best buy
Old 07-01-2003
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
y is rockford not an option on your list?
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

it is
Old 07-01-2003
I wish I was asian

which ones?
Old 07-01-2003
I wish I was asian

if ur on a budget, than one of these might be what you would want.
click

features:
- Dual 12" Rockford Punch Z subwoofers
- Rockford Punch 600-watt bridgeable MOSFET amp with selectable high/low-pass crossover
- Matched sealed sub box for tight, controlled bass response

all for $275.

altho, the subs could be better...the dont sound too bad.
Old 07-01-2003
I wish I was asian

were going for $70 a piece a few weeks ago online

Product Features
- Impedance: 4 ohms (each voice coil)
- Handles up to 1800 watts peak, 700 watts RMS (continuous)
- Massive 200-oz. strontium magnet
- Dual 2" ASV voice coils for compatibility with mono or stereo bass feeds
- 12" nonpressed paper cone
- Die-cast aluminum frame for lighter weight, efficient heat dissipation and excellent structural rigidity
- Large foam-rubber surround allows extended cone travel
- Chrome screw terminals for reliable connections and sharp looks
- Engineered for sealed-box or ported-box installation
- Sensitivity: 91dB
- Product Height 7.5"
- Product Width 12-1/2"
- Product Weight 20.1 lbs.
- Product Length 12-1/2"
- Efficiency 91dB
- Frame Material Aluminum
- Impedance Dual 4 ohms
- Magnet Size 200 oz.
- Magnet Type Strontium
- Number of Voice Coils Dual (2)
- Peak Power Handling 1800 watts

Last edited by cambo; 07-01-2003 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

fanatic P set
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

i went to best buy and listened to the rockford. They suck
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
i agree with fonto about the infinity reference. they don't get super loud, but they are excellent quality for the money, and a pair at CC won't be out of your range. listen to those b4 buying.
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

tcostello3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Infinity Reference 12"s
Polk Audio GNX 12"s

Both of these will fit in the off the shelf Q-Logic Bandpass enclosure. You'll get more boom for your buck than any other setup & it'll be more efficent power wise. Take 2 of these 12" wired parralel and gice them anywhere from 300-500w rms and they will slam. If you've got a coupe make sure the ports fire forward. I had the one with ports on top in my last coupe and thought the rear deck lid was gonna blow off. I kid you not if you put my back seats down with the volume on 25 playing Magic Mike you can't light a lighter in the car from the air being pushed & pulled from the box.
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

bzrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have experience with all the subs you have mentioned, and here's what i've noticed....
alpine type-e's dont blow, unless you put retarded power to them, even if you are running too little, they dont seem to blow.

the kenwoods and any polk sub i wouldnt waste my money on, i dont think i have ever heard either sound good

the new sonys actually hit pretty hard for the price, but watch how hard you push them because ive seen a number of them blow.

the infinities sound pretty nice as long as you give them enough power.

one more suggestion, ive had really good luck with jl's entry level line, ive had the same pair of 12w0s for about 4 years, running about 200 wrms to each, and they still jam, especially in the huge ported box they are in now in my fiancee's car. i think i paid about $78 for each sub.
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

id have to say that if youve had lick with teh w0, then its gotta be a finicky subwoofer, cause as often as not, they dont sound good, so its gotta be real install dependant.

I also agree with everything you said about sony, but i definitely wanna second what you said about the kenwood woofers. we tried so hard to make my buddy's set sound good, we really did! and after the third box, one of which we changed the tuning so much we were blue in the face, no iteration soudned good. at all.

i think its a hopeless woofer.

Quick Reply: help deciding on subs