Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Tsunami flush rear trunk spoiler - pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SQCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Tsunami flush rear trunk spoiler - pics!

I received the spoiler yesterday from showstoppersusa.com so of course I do not have it painted yet. Cost was $199 shipped. Quality and fit is excellent which is typical for Tsunami. The spoiler has 4 screws that fit perfectly into the factory locations (I had an OEM spoiler from the factory installed when I bought the car). Also included is 2 rolls of double-sided tape and a very detailed instruction sheet on how to prep the spoiler for painting. I love it! I'll post pics of it painted as soon as I get it to my body shop.

Thanks for posting the pics for me Grey...much appreciated.

Old 12-25-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about

It was probably the extention. Looks very good. Looks flatter than I thought it would. I like it though. It's number one right now for me on my spoiler shopping list. Can't wait to see it painted!
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

Shlomo is an unknown quantity at this point
looks great!
i will be considering that. can't wait to see pics bc i have a silver coupe as well
Old 12-25-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought it would turn up more than that too.
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
reminds me of the FD RX7.. almost. Id paint it. Its still 100000X better then.. well.. every "wing" ive seen ona civic.

Just a personal note, a "wing" is anything that allows air to pass under. Only true spoilers are flush mounted.
Old 12-26-2002
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
The best spoiler out is the Wings West flush mount one.. that thing is HOT!!!!!!!!! ill try to post a pic
Old 12-26-2002
Premium Member

[hr]Originally posted by: HondaGuru
reminds me of the FD RX7.. almost. Id paint it. Its still 100000X better then.. well.. every "wing" ive seen ona civic.

Just a personal note, a "wing" is anything that allows air to pass under. Only true spoilers are flush mounted.[hr]
Air passes under a front spoiler, also under a rear underspoiler. Doe that make them wings?
Old 12-26-2002
Registered!!

I considered the Wings West flush spoiler a while back but I did not like the fact that it is in three pieces, 2 of which stay attached to the sides of the car when the trunk is open, not as smooth a line as the Tsunami. I'm doing a lot of work on my trunk lid so I was also concerned about the middle piece not always lining up with the 2 permanent pieces on the sides. The tsunami is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I willl get it to the body shop Friday so hopefully I'll have some pics of it painted early next week.
Old 12-26-2002
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
damn and i wanted to be the first person to get that. Looks real good, get it painted and take pics
Old 12-26-2002
Registered!!

3rdcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool. I've got that wing and the window spoiler sitting in my room needing to get painted. Nice to see it on someone's car (especially a Satin Silver civic).

Thanks for the pic's.

TJ
Old 12-26-2002

alex053 will become famous soon enough
Thats hot....I like it
Old 12-26-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
if there is a space between the front spoiler and the body of the car then yes, its a wing. all F1 racers have front wings for example. however if its flush mounted with the bumper or what have you, then its still just a spoiler. i said UNDER the spoiler, and its inverted if its under the car, now isnt it?
Old 12-27-2002
Premium Member

Sorry but under is under. Air certaily passes under the lower spoilers, but that doesn't make them wings now does it?

Spoiler:

An air deflector mounted usually at the rear of an automobile to reduce lift at high speeds.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

By the above definiton, a rear wing is a spolier.

Wing:

An airfoil whose principal function is providing lift, especially either of two such airfoils symmetrically positioned on each side of the fuselage of an aircraft.

So we have a spoiler providing downforce and a wing providing lift. I don't think we want to apply lift to our car, so we then might want to call a wing wich applies downforce, a "wing spoiler", whcih I believe is common useage of the word in this application.
Old 12-31-2002
Registered!!

VietGuy949 is an unknown quantity at this point
i just orderd my trunk spoiler and my roof spoiler!!! i got it ffrom chuck as well for 350 . . . i think its because of tax or something or maybe i just got ripped off hehe...o well im way happy and i cant wait to get them in the mail so they can sit in my room until i get my wings west g5 kit and my kaminari front grille to be painted!!! ill keep you guys updated yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw
Old 01-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
Bartkat > Hondaguru
Hondaguru = Own3d

Hehe..just rubbing it in. Well said Bartkat.

Hey Alex053, is your avatar from Austin Powers:Goldmember? It's hilarious!
Old 01-01-2003
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
I really like the look of that spoiler. I am also going to go for the roof wing as well. Cant wait cause summer will be comming soon.
Old 01-02-2003
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
Looks good....

I might "consider" getting one
Old 01-02-2003
Registered!!

ihaveacivic is an unknown quantity at this point

[hr]Originally posted by: Bartkat

Just a personal note, a "wing" is anything that allows air to pass under. Only true spoilers are flush mounted.[hr]
Air passes under a front spoiler, also under a rear underspoiler. Doe that make them wings?[hr]

Sorry but under is under. Air certaily passes under the lower spoilers, but that doesn't make them wings now does it?

Spoiler:

An air deflector mounted usually at the rear of an automobile to reduce lift at high speeds.

Wing:

An airfoil whose principal function is providing lift, especially either of two such airfoils symmetrically positioned on each side of the fuselage of an aircraft.

So we have a spoiler providing downforce and a wing providing lift. I don't think we want to apply lift to our car, so we then might want to call a wing wich applies downforce, a "wing spoiler", whcih I believe is common useage of the word in this application.[hr]
well, when its under the car its upside down.. and it is still flowing OVER the spoiler but its directing the air down causeing the frontend to be pushed up. it is still not going thru the part where its mounted to the body.. so the air is still not going under the spoiler.. and since its upside down it does cause lift. a wing has air flow over and under .. in stock car racing you never hear them call it a front wing. its the front spoiler. what if you place a wing upside down.. then it would cause downforce too huh? well more like it would be riped off before it would cause downforce.. but you get the picture.
Old 01-02-2003
Premium Member

[hr]Originally posted by: ihaveacivic

Air passes under a front spoiler, also under a rear underspoiler. Doe that make them wings?[hr]

Spoiler:

Wing:

So we have a spoiler providing downforce and a wing providing lift. I don't think we want to apply lift to our car, so we then might want to call a wing wich applies downforce, a "wing spoiler", whcih I believe is common useage of the word in this application.[hr]
well, when its under the car its upside down.. and it is still flowing OVER the spoiler but its directing the air down causeing the frontend to be pushed up. it is still not going thru the part where its mounted to the body.. so the air is still not going under the spoiler.. and since its upside down it does cause lift. a wing has air flow over and under .. in stock car racing you never hear them call it a front wing. its the front spoiler. what if you place a wing upside down.. then it would cause downforce too huh? well more like it would be riped off before it would cause downforce.. but you get the picture.[hr]
What's your point?

Old 01-02-2003
Registered!!

you are saying that a spoiler in the front allows air to flow under the spoiler.. when it does not..

look at it this way.. what is the front part of a F1 car? a wing rite? that wing does not cause lift... it pushes the car down... causeing what? downforce... and in the front what does a front spoiler cause? lift... so if a spoiler causes downforce and a wing causes lift? so then why is what not rite? cause they are upside down... so now they are reversed.

"So we have a spoiler providing downforce and a wing providing lift. I don't think we want to apply lift to our car, so we then might want to call a wing wich applies downforce, a "wing spoiler", whcih I believe is common useage of the word in this application."

your first line states that a spoiler provides downforce.... so.. spoiler = downforce rite?
the secod part states that a wing provides lift... so... wing = lift rite?
the last part of that said we call it a wing spoiler? what the hell does that do... lift and downforce? so that cancels eachother out
so thats where the ricers get the 5 to 10 hp.. from the ""wing spoiler"".
now i get it..
Old 01-02-2003
Premium Member

"the last part of that said we call it a wing spoiler? what the hell does that do... lift and downforce? so that cancels eachother out"

The original argument by Guru was that if air can go both over and under it, then it's a wing. I'm saying that a wing can also be a spoiler because you can change the angle of a wing to provide lift OR downforce. Since a spoiler provides downforce (by definition), then a wing can be a spoiler too, and it can have air going both over it and under it. That's the key. Just to point out the error in Guru's universal defitiion of a wing.
Old 01-02-2003
Registered!!

I'm picking up the spoiler from the body shop today so I should have some pics of it painted on the car tonight.
Old 01-02-2003
Premium Member

Great. Can't wait to see those pics. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-02-2003
Registered!!

on a spoiler the air only flow one way... like this.. this is causeing downforce..

now guru said
"if there is a space between the front spoiler and the body of the car then yes, its a wing. all F1 racers have front wings for example. however if its flush mounted with the bumper or what have you, then its still just a spoiler. i said UNDER the spoiler, and its inverted if its under the car, now isnt it? "
this is inverted

the air still flow the same way.. over the spoiler...

here look at this page.. 3 spoilers are called spoilers one is a wing...
http://www.tornactive.com/cat_civic1.cfm

now here what you said.."
"The original argument by Guru was that if air can go both over and under it, then it's a wing. I'm saying that a wing can also be a spoiler because you can change the angle of a wing to provide lift OR downforce. Since a spoiler provides downforce (by definition), then a wing can be a spoiler too, and it can have air going both over it and under it. That's the key. Just to point out the error in Guru's universal defitiion of a wing."

well people call our header " headers" but we all know what they mean.
and they also say i am going to install a nos system.. when its really called nitrous oxide, NoS is a Brand.

so all that guru was saying is the P.C. way..

Old 01-02-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
You guys have way to much freekin time on your hands.....go do something productive like work on your cars [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

-Mystic
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

Here are the pics of the spoiler painted.

Old 01-03-2003
Honda > Nissan

xian is on a distinguished road
Very nice!!!!
Now can you take a couple of pics of the whole car of us...
Old 01-03-2003
Premium Member

[hr]Originally posted by: ihaveacivic
on a spoiler the air only flow one way... like this.. this is causeing downforce..

now guru said
"if there is a space between the front spoiler and the body of the car then yes, its a wing. all F1 racers have front wings for example. however if its flush mounted with the bumper or what have you, then its still just a spoiler. i said UNDER the spoiler, and its inverted if its under the car, now isnt it? "
this is inverted

the air still flow the same way.. over the spoiler...

here look at this page.. 3 spoilers are called spoilers one is a wing...
http://www.tornactive.com/cat_civic1.cfm

now here what you said.."
"The original argument by Guru was that if air can go both over and under it, then it's a wing. I'm saying that a wing can also be a spoiler because you can change the angle of a wing to provide lift OR downforce. Since a spoiler provides downforce (by definition), then a wing can be a spoiler too, and it can have air going both over it and under it. That's the key. Just to point out the error in Guru's universal defitiion of a wing."

well people call our header " headers" but we all know what they mean.
and they also say i am going to install a nos system.. when its really called nitrous oxide, NoS is a Brand.

so all that guru was saying is the P.C. way..[hr]

I think you and I agree, so I don't know why you are carrying on so. Guru made his definition too narrow and has not come back to this thread to support it , so I figured all that was said and done with.
Old 01-03-2003
Premium Member

[hr]Originally posted by: SQCivic
Here are the pics of the spoiler painted. [hr]
That looks really great. Almost makes me want to change my OEM spoiler for that one, since I already have the Tsunami roof wing.
Old 01-03-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Looks very very good. Definately getting it. What about the small gaps that I see? The sticky tape not holding that well? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Tsunami flush rear trunk spoiler - pics!