Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Has anyone seen this before? up to 20HP increase on our car.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slammed2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone seen this before? up to 20HP increase on our car.........

CHECK IT OUT

sorrry but i dont believe it, i doubt 20 hp, it might do something coz i know advancing ur timing does give u some power....
wat u guys think? $5, its not much!
Old 10-12-2002
em2

sspem2 has a spectacular aura aboutsspem2 has a spectacular aura about
dont waste your $$$ man. its a scam. you want 20 hp get nitrous
Old 10-12-2002
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
haha i saw that also today,. but decided not to post it. thats just BS
Old 10-12-2002
Registered!!

Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
for five bucks and a 10 sec install its worth a try. plus you can probubly sell it to a stupid riceboy at your school for about 30 and convince him he can feel the power. if they can feel decals HP then they can definatley feel this awsome ENGINE EDU MOD's HP. anyway. i like at the bottom how it says use premium gas for best results. PISH. yea right. i'm not paying for premium.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]. eh well.

think about it tho. if HP was that easy this would have been out and be in everyoens car.
Old 10-12-2002
Registered!!

Vesper is an unknown quantity at this point
that thing will most likely make your computer throw off codes if anything i woundnt even bother
Old 10-12-2002
The Greatest

Fern is an unknown quantity at this point
It just tricks the engine into thinking its getting more air than it seems and makes it run very lean. It's gonna kill your catalytic converter in the long run and who knows what else. I wouldnt even bother with it unless that guy's supposed liftime guarantee covers buying you a new cat b/c of his shoddy rip-off product.
Old 10-12-2002
Registered!!

aZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura aboutaZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura about
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2002
First to spool
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

riceburnrex has disabled reputation
Direct Quote: "It is impossible to damage your engine by advance timing."

Moron. It's very easy. This resistor would not affect engine timing, it only affects the signal going to the ECM from the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor. It's a very cheap and ineffective version of the S-AFC, and I guarantee it would throw check engine lights all the time.
Old 10-12-2002
Registered!!

mikalem is on a distinguished road
Hmmmmm would you buy car products from someone that normally sells clothing? Look through the feedback for him...... don't bother.
Old 10-12-2002
Registered!!

Vesper is an unknown quantity at this point
ahahahaha get a free pair of socks with every item[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2002
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
I wouldn't buy anything off of ebay unless I heard about it somewhere else first
Old 10-13-2002
Registered!!

ekwc is an unknown quantity at this point
Take a look of the fellowing web-site. It's not for our car but it will explain how that mod works. I am sure you can DIY for cheaper than $5.
http://pages.prodigy.net/keman/tempr.html
Old 10-13-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
thats the biggest load of crap i ever read, you can't advance the timing just by adding a chip, wtf?!!? Timing is a mechanical thing meaning you have to adjust seomthign physically not electrically. I wish I could take that guy out to a parking lot and just beat the crap out of him with like a big metal rod.

Old 10-13-2002
Registered!!

Quiksilver09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok I know exactly what that mod is. It's a resistor you put into your O2 sensor at your intake. It basically tricks your ECU into thinking there's more air coming in then there actually is. Basically it's just a trick. And yes over time it screws up your engine badly. Just search around the net and you'll find info on it. I considered buying one until I did a little more research. They say it's supposed to do the same as the S-AFC and/or a performance mod. But frankly I'd rather spend the extra money on a quality researched part like the S-aFC or the Jet chip.
Old 10-13-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Nuts
for five bucks and a 10 sec install its worth a try. plus you can probubly sell it to a stupid riceboy at your school for about 30 and convince him he can feel the power. if they can feel decals HP then they can definatley feel this awsome ENGINE EDU MOD's HP. anyway. i like at the bottom how it says use premium gas for best results. PISH. yea right. i'm not paying for premium.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]. eh well.

think about it tho. if HP was that easy this would have been out and be in everyoens car.[hr]
If the resistor does fool the ECU into advancing the timing, then you may need higher octane gas. Otherwise, knock knock.

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-13-2002
Premium Member

[hr]Originally posted by: IDQcivic
thats the biggest load of crap i ever read, you can't advance the timing just by adding a chip, wtf?!!? Timing is a mechanical thing meaning you have to adjust seomthign physically not electrically. I wish I could take that guy out to a parking lot and just beat the crap out of him with like a big metal rod.[hr]
Well now, it's the ECU that controls the timing. You know about knock sensors and all that don't you? Like if a pre-ignition conditon is sensed, the ECU retards the timing to prevent knocking. One way of getting better fuel mileage and lower emissions is by not allowing for too much initial advance. If you have something electronic that will fool the ECU, then you might get more timig advance, ergo, better acceleration. That's been a mainstay of hot rodding cars for many years, well before the computer controls. Now we're taling about ignition timing, not cam or valve timing here. Is that what threw you off?

BTW: Did I mention that limiting the early ignition timing advance is one of the things they did to get cars to run on low octane "regular" gas?

If you look at the idea of fooling the computer by adding resistance to the temp sensor, you might also see that is one of the advantages of a CAI. The CAI is actually doing what the resistor is telling the computer, it's actually giving colder air. Colder are is not only denser, it's also going to allow more timing advance. A double whammy so to speak.
Old 10-14-2002
Registered!!

TYPE7RS is an unknown quantity at this point
so much crap on ebay, so much crap
Old 10-14-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Quiksilver09
Ok I know exactly what that mod is. It's a resistor you put into your O2 sensor at your intake. It basically tricks your ECU into thinking there's more air coming in then there actually is. Basically it's just a trick. And yes over time it screws up your engine badly. Just search around the net and you'll find info on it. I considered buying one until I did a little more research. They say it's supposed to do the same as the S-AFC and/or a performance mod. But frankly I'd rather spend the extra money on a quality researched part like the S-aFC or the Jet chip.[hr]
why do people keep thinking there is an o2 sensor on the intake???? o2 sensors are on the exhaust, the sensor on the intake is the IAT intake air temp sensor....

Old 10-14-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Bartkat
[hr]Originally posted by: IDQcivic
thats the biggest load of crap i ever read, you can't advance the timing just by adding a chip, wtf?!!? Timing is a mechanical thing meaning you have to adjust seomthign physically not electrically. I wish I could take that guy out to a parking lot and just beat the crap out of him with like a big metal rod.[hr]
Well now, it's the ECU that controls the timing. You know about knock sensors and all that don't you? Like if a pre-ignition conditon is sensed, the ECU retards the timing to prevent knocking. One way of getting better fuel mileage and lower emissions is by not allowing for too much initial advance. If you have something electronic that will fool the ECU, then you might get more timig advance, ergo, better acceleration. That's been a mainstay of hot rodding cars for many years, well before the computer controls. Now we're taling about ignition timing, not cam or valve timing here. Is that what threw you off?

BTW: Did I mention that limiting the early ignition timing advance is one of the things they did to get cars to run on low octane "regular" gas?

If you look at the idea of fooling the computer by adding resistance to the temp sensor, you might also see that is one of the advantages of a CAI. The CAI is actually doing what the resistor is telling the computer, it's actually giving colder air. Colder are is not only denser, it's also going to allow more timing advance. A double whammy so to speak.[hr]

Now i'm confused. I have a cam gear which adjust cam timing, this is a mechanical thing that you have to adjust manually not on the ECU.... Now you start talking about the ECU controlling timing? I'm confussed here, are you talking about the ignition timing? Our cars don't have a distrubutor so how do you adjust the ignition timing on our cars???
Old 10-14-2002
Premium Member

" Now i'm confused. I have a cam gear which adjust cam timing, this is a mechanical thing that you have to adjust manually not on the ECU.... Now you start talking about the ECU controlling timing? I'm confussed here, are you talking about the ignition timing? Our cars don't have a distrubutor so how do you adjust the ignition timing on our cars???"

Please read the post again. I believe all the info you are asking about is there. Look for the key words "ignition" and "timing" and the phrase "ignition timing".
Old 10-14-2002
Registered!!

Quiksilver09 is an unknown quantity at this point
OK my bad I meant IAT sensor but regardless the mod is a ressistor that you basically bridge the IAT sensor with and then leave it unplugged. Main point of my post is it's a mod that will do serious damage over time, and that time seems not to be too long. If you really want to try it I can give you the type of ressistor you need when I get home and you'll save yourself 5 bucks or 20. Just pm me if you want it.
Old 10-14-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Bartkat
" Now i'm confused. I have a cam gear which adjust cam timing, this is a mechanical thing that you have to adjust manually not on the ECU.... Now you start talking about the ECU controlling timing? I'm confussed here, are you talking about the ignition timing? Our cars don't have a distrubutor so how do you adjust the ignition timing on our cars???"

Please read the post again. I believe all the info you are asking about is there. Look for the key words "ignition" and "timing" and the phrase "ignition timing".[hr]

OK I reread, I must have missed that part before! So what you are sayin is the ECU maintains the proper ignition timing automatically??? Like If I adjust my cam gear do I have to adjust the ignition timing or will the ECU automatically compensate? I know with a distrubutor the ignition timing can be adjusted from there I think, but with our cars do we have to even worry about adjusting the ignition timing? If so do you know how?

Old 10-14-2002
Premium Member

i OK I reread, I must have missed that part before! So what you are sayin is the ECU maintains the proper ignition timing automatically??? Like If I adjust my cam gear do I have to adjust the ignition timing or will the ECU automatically compensate? I know with a distrubutor the ignition timing can be adjusted from there I think, but with our cars do we have to even worry about adjusting the ignition timing? If so do you know how?

I believe the ECU will adjust ignition timing, but it will be limited. I think to allow more adjustment it will take a computer change or a unit that will again fool the ECU such as a Venom 400.

Here's a link to a thread about the Venom. I see you posted there that you have one, so you should be all set for it to work with your cam gear.

Thread Title: venom400??

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-15-2002
Registered!!

I pulled the temperature sensor out and did a simple test on it. I connected it to an ohmmeter on the two metal pins of the sensor. I got 470 ohms at 100c (boiling water) and 5700 ohms at 0c (ice). The range is about 5k diff. for 100 degree. Let say connect a 1 or 2k ohms resistor in serious sounds reasonable for the mod. I am trying 3k ohms on my EX and it works fine so far with 93-octane gas (no ping and very good acceleration). Try it at your own risk.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-15-2002
Premium Member

Need to find out what type of RTD this sensor is. I can't find any that have this broad range of resistance from 0 deg C to 100 deg C.

Temperature vs. Electromotive Force (EMF) Tables
Old 10-15-2002
Premium Member

I'm thinking that you could buy a extra air temp sensor (About $21) and set it up with a resistor and then you could switch back and forth from stock to mod, etc.

Also I believe the engine will run richer, not leaner if it thinks the air is colder. Remember when cars had a choke, so they would run when it was real cold? That choke simply cut off part of the air to the carb.
Old 10-15-2002
Registered!!

Our car has an intake air pre-heater instead of the old style that required a second hose for exhaust heating. But anyway, a secondary sensor is a good idea but a carefully selected resistor will be cheaper (5 cents and some soldering). I did not modify the sensor itself, but put a resistor in series to one of the wires connected to it. If you really want to replace the sensor, I think you need a larger range of sensor (e.g. -25c to +120c not just 0 to 100c) with the proper range of resistance. Good luck.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-15-2002
Premium Member

The throttle body heater has a closed loop where engine coolant circulates, but that is down lower on the throttle body. One guy posted a thread where he bypassed that part around the TB. There may be a sensor in there too as there is a wire to it.

As for the new sensor, I was thinking of using the OEM sensor from one of the Honda parts places, then attaching that to a quick connect plug. That way you could switch back and forth to stok or one with resistor easily.

The point about the resistance range is this. If we know the actual chart for the temperature sensor, then we know exactly how much resistance put inline will synthesize exactly what "temperature" the ECU is seeing.
Old 10-15-2002
Registered!!

All right, now the question is at what lowest temperature will get the most advanced timing. Also, at what temperature will trigger the pre-heater. So we can get to most out of it and avoid damage on our car.
Old 10-15-2002
Premium Member

I know that mine runs best for the first few miles, and part throttle when started from "cold" at an ambient temp of 70F. Of course maybe need to factor in humidity, etc, but that temp seems to have more power at moderate throttle.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen this before? up to 20HP increase on our car.........