Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Cheapy Ebay AEM CAI replica... and ebay header...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002
Escaped Convict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
Ebay AEM replica intake

I also got myself some cheapy ebay intake... (along with my cheap ebay header) the pipping itself is okay... it isn't powder coated with whatever AEM uses... just regular pipe painted grey or something... this is an AEM CAI replica btw... it doesn't come with the transmission bracket to attach the 2nd pipe to.. but they do come with rubber connectors that are hard enough to hold the pippings... and they come with a stupid rubber bolt thing that aem has and brags about:

but they didn't come with any nuts or washer or even the transmission bracket to use it for... lol.

the filter is kinda on the small size... but looking at it, it doesn't look like a cheap paper filter... although I duno how many layers this one is... AEM's and K&Ns and etc. have multi layers in their filter...

I may just grab an K&N cone filter for like 30 bucks later if I can.. anyone know a cheap place to get them? universal k&N cone filters?

if you're wondering why Im getting these cheapy replicas, thats becuase.. well. they're cheap. and its just for fun to make some noise.. I dont expect any performance gains.. and I'll probably remove it after 500 miles or so.

I'll have some pics up if anyone is interested in the header and the CAI... quality wise, they dont look that crappy. heh.
Old 09-05-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Dude you must have money to burn or something... Just spend the $500 and get the real parts rather than using junk for 500 miles. You want to make noise, then make some good sounding noise. If you want crap that makes noise, Pep boys sells fart cans for about $20 bucks.
Old 09-05-2002
Escaped Convict

well i dont really have money to burn. thats why I dont spend the 500 on the real parts...

in terms of the CAI, whats the difference? if they copied the design, what would be different? the material of the pipping and the material of the filter.

the filter I care about, the pipping I dont. and I really believe that a replica CAI with a good filter would performe just like the brand name ones...

as for the header, well... its giving me some problems, so I guess it does suck. but then again its mostly my fault since I over torque every bolt and nuts I see.... heh...
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
the difference with the crappy intake is just that. it sucks and is pure crap. i had one of those ebay intakes. it was 1/2" smaller in diameter than the name brands and i broke a bracket on it, welded it back and it broke in a different spot. not to mention there was no trans bracket so i got one from aem. threw away my crap intake and bought an injen.....WAY BETTER!
Old 09-05-2002
Escaped Convict

actually InJen's are 3 inch while AEM is 2.5...

my InJen SRI was 3 inch.... the AEMs are ususally 2.5 I think.

yeah I forgot about the transmission bracket... looks like I gotta give AEM an email. heh. or find a way to bypass it.
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I remember someone saying that aem forgot to pack the tranny bracket in a lot of their intakes for the 2k1+. So you should just give them a call and tell them that you got one without the bracket and they'll take your word for it...
Old 09-06-2002
Escaped Convict

yeah I know. it'll make the installation easier. thanks.
Old 09-06-2002
Si(R) killer # 1

CoupeStylz is an unknown quantity at this point
I did it without the trans. bracket. It takes a little adjustment of the angle of the tabs, and extra hardware, but it can be done.

Oh, and quality-wise, it is a pipe, silicone connectors, and filter -just the same as an AEM intake. I don't know what kind of magic some people think a name-brand intake has.