Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Window Tint, not talked about before

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Window Tint, not talked about before

I dont think anyone has said anything about this before, but does anyone know where i can get Electrochromatic Window tint. for those of you that dont know what it is, its tint that you controll with a dimmer switch.

if anyone knows where to get it let me know i really want it
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
i have platinum tint
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

can you controll that with a dimmer switch?
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

Briareos is an unknown quantity at this point
never heard of it before... on a car anyway. My parents used to have windows that had a switch that would instantly black them out, but I wasn't aware the technology for that was small enough to be used on a car yet. wow.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

it is used now for rearview mirrors, i want my whole car tinted with it though
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
try a google search dude...that would be sweet
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

i did a google search, from what i understand its for house windows to save HVAC costs or something. its also used on choppers and airplanes
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I could see you getting pulled over for having limo tint. Then, while the cop is getting out of the car, you adjust to very light or completely clear. When he gets up to the car, you could say, "wtf are you talking about?" LOL LOL
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

that woudl be pretty funny, i think it adjusts from 100% to 2%
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

Rider is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey let me know if you find it!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
my window tint is 5% tint all around except the front window!!!
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

the cool thing is when no electricity is applied the windows go completely dark, so nobody will be looking in your windows when your not there
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

RookieTuner is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm won this raffle thing from auto rave 2 weeks ago and the place they the tint they are going to use is called jackson tint....does anyone have this? and how dark do you think i should go withing legal limits?

also does anyone know how much tha ttitanium tint cost?
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
i was at one time contemplatnig using and electro-chromatic "tint"int material on my car's windows, but i never persued it very far. i think 3M makes some good film for that, but im not sure how easy it'd be to get as a consumer, nor the prices. but it'd be kickass for sure, let us know if you find anything.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

wawacito is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Cadillacs have them (tint adjusts automatically to the outside brightness), and there is some other car has the moon roof with electrochromatic tint.

correct me if im wrong, but I believe elechromatic tint to be a property of the glass not the film. Which means to get it in your car, you would actually have to replace the windows themselves, not just put a film over them. The company that makes them would have to do a custom job, because I assume they only cater to Cadillac / Lincoln / Bentley / Maybach so they probably wont have ready made glass for civic. custom job means muuuuucho expensive.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

they have electrochromatic film also, i just need to find the company that sells it
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

this company makes elecrochomic window glass film: Sage Electrochromics but i dunno how hard it'd be to get it from them[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
According to the image and description, it looks like it would use a vacuum between 2 layers of glass, which may make it impossible for us to use. However, if it's not necessary, then it seems like you could just add it like regular tint film (although I dunno how'd you wire it). It does mention automobile windows, but I dunno if they would have special requirements like being double pane glass.

"SageGlass® is fabricated into a dual pane or insulating glass unit (IGU) -- the most common structure for building windows today. It can also take the form of laminated safety glass for buildings and automobile windows where safety is required (for instance laminated "hurricane" glass is used in buildings along the coast). SageGlass® IGUs differ from traditional IGUs in that they have two wires extending from one edge; these wires connect into a building's electrical system (SageGlass® uses low voltage DC power). Once installed, the window or skylight can be operated using a dimmer switch, remote control, or central energy management system. In addition, EC windows will be used in applications with wireless powering options."
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

wawacito is an unknown quantity at this point
keyworD:

"sageGlass is FABRICATED into a dual pane or insulated glass unit..." meaning they make the entire piece of glass. I dont think it can just be applied like regular tint. They probably have to apply it at the factory.

It does make mention of automotive use so I think that is not a problem. But I suspect that they have to actually make the glass with the film already on it, not just a stick on. I wouldnt be surprised if they actually sandwich the tint into the glass for cars. thing about accidentally scratching that stuff if it were exposed like normal tint
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

yes, but i read elsewhere on their site that the product can also be used on a single pane of glass, and it looks to me like just an additional layer on the glass in that case.
Old 08-29-2002
Registered!!

Macker is an unknown quantity at this point
I work for the company in Ireland that makes the electrochromatic mirrors for the cars. The company is called Donnelly mirrors, its an American company based in Michegan. The principal works by a gel placed between two layers of glass. There is a current run over one of the layers of glass that causes the gel to darken. There are sensors in front of the mirror and behind it so that it knows when there are headlights behind you and darkens the mirror. I know that Donnelly make windows and Sunroof's but dont make the dimming ones. If anyone is interested they sell the mirrors on their website. I can post a pic of a mirror they made for my civic sedan using the stock bracket and a head from the Audi TT.
Old 08-29-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I e-mailed the company yesterday after I made my post and I got a reply today.

"Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, the SageGlass(r) films have to be applied directly onto glass at our facility. I'm sorry that we can't help you. Thank you for expressing interest in the product.

Sincerely,
Mike Myser
SAGE Electrochromics, Inc."

Oh wellz, I guess that wont work for our windows. I'm interested to see the pics of your civic sedan mirror though.
Old 08-29-2002
Registered!!

windowtint is an unknown quantity at this point
CRASH2002 ...

there is no such thing as electro-tint ~ or whatever other name you want to call it. It's an urban legend.

there have been a few MANUFACTURER ONLY one-off cars produced with odd experiments with the similiar type things ~ but still... there is NO SUCH THING AVAILABLE

At this time, it is not at all technologically possible when also taking into financial concerns. In THEORY you could have it done but probably at a cost of 6-figures and having all totally custom one-off made glass too.

Trust me on this one. Without going into "who's got the bigger pee-pee" .... if there's anyone who would know if this stuff could be had in this industry (tinting), Iwould (know).

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but the stuff just simply does not exist. If anyone tells you "I saw it!", they're lying. Period.

When ever it does become available and a technique is then also developed that allows it to be applied to a curved surface in one peice without completely destroying the light adjustable crystalline layer (good luck), ya'll can trust that I'll be the first to let you know.... but you can also be assured that this technology, if you're even remotely lucky is still going to be a good 10+ years off ~ and that will be film designed for FLAT glass (as in buildings).. then you'll have to overcome installation problems for cars... more years.